DCS and Pimax

Wags

I tested the 5k with a 1080ti and it's not enough so...

5K work on same resolution as 8K at 2560x1440 per eye. Only difference is 8K have 4K display with 800PPI which reduce SDE and little better picture because VR it self upscale to 4K picture. Similar as 4K TV with lower ress picture.

So there is no difference in rendered picture between 5K and 8K models. Only 8KX will need to render full 4K per eye picture and will have 4K as native resolution.

5K work on same resolution as 8K at 2560x1440 per eye. Only difference is 8K have 4K display with 800PPI which reduce SDE and little better picture because VR it self upscale to 4K picture. Similar as 4K TV with lower ress picture.

So there is no difference in rendered picture between 5K and 8K models. Only 8KX will need to render full 4K per eye picture and will have 4K as native resolution.

If you can run DCS World with an Oculus Rift, at a pixel density setting of 1.7, you should be able to run the PIMAX 8k.

Currently at 1.7 pixel density we have a resolution of 3672x2040, which makes 7,490,880 pixels.

At a combined resolution of 5120x1440 the PIMAX 8k will run 7,372,800 pixels.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

So I am a 8K backer, and currently have a 1080. I figure by the time PIMAX ships the final headset, it will be close to when the Nvidia VOLTA is available (summer time) and that would be better than updating to a 1080ti in the interim. Also I've see the ti have gone up in price recently with all the bitcoin mining.

Anyone else waiting for the VOLTA to use with PIMAX?

[sIGPIC] "GOONIE" [/sIGPIC]

"GOONIE"

CSG-1 VFA-25

Where would this test have taken place? Details please

The reason I ask is that I know of no demo (testing is not a demo and this is still being waited for) that has used the 1080ti even for the 8K let alone the 5K.

GizmoSlipTech was using the 8K when he demo'd with DCS. The reported hardware for the CES show was as posted:

2209_1.png

tristanc

Thank you very much for the information, What computers are you going to use for the demonstration, can you tell us something?

90.png

xunshu

15d

2209_1.png tristanc

GTX1070 or GTX1080 slight_smile.png?v=3

so you can see why I ask. Before CES everyone was demoing on a 1080 laptop. As a 1080ti owner I await such information.

Edited by dogbite

I5 6600K @4.5, Gigabyte GA-Z170XP mobo, GMMAXX GTE Cooler, MSI GTX 1080 ti Gaming X gpu (factory OC), SoundBlaster X-F1 sound card, 16 gig Corsair Vengeance ddr4 ram @ 3200 , 3 ssd hds, EVGA 650 Gold Power supply, Saitek X52 Hotas and rudders, 2 AuraSound AST-2B-4 Pro Bass Shakers, Pimax 5K+

Yeah I call bullshit.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

If you can run DCS World with an Oculus Rift, at a pixel density setting of 1.7, you should be able to run the PIMAX 8k.

Currently at 1.7 pixel density we have a resolution of 3672x2040, which makes 7,490,880 pixels.

At a combined resolution of 5120x1440 the PIMAX 8k will run 7,372,800 pixels.

On the higher FOV picture, there will be more objects to display, so at equal resolution, I assume the performance should be worse with the higher FOV.

On the higher FOV picture, there will be more objects to display, so at equal resolution, I assume the performance should be worse with the higher FOV.

That’s my thinking as well. The increased FOV means doing a comparison to rift at 1.7pd doesn’t work as it doesn’t account for the additional 3D objects.

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

No doubt. The question is how much of a trade off? Will the added quality of the panels and fov make them worth it? Until we get early testers feedback, much of it is guesswork. Too many unknowns. The overhead of the BrainWarp software is a biggie. What is the cost of upscaling a 1440p signal to 4k and projecting it to two separate 4K panels in alternating fashion (one panel on at a time)? How polished is the ATW/ASW type software? We have never seen this approach before so we must wait for the "very large lady to sing" before drawing any final conclusions and at least until early tester get them before we even get a good idea.

I5 6600K @4.5, Gigabyte GA-Z170XP mobo, GMMAXX GTE Cooler, MSI GTX 1080 ti Gaming X gpu (factory OC), SoundBlaster X-F1 sound card, 16 gig Corsair Vengeance ddr4 ram @ 3200 , 3 ssd hds, EVGA 650 Gold Power supply, Saitek X52 Hotas and rudders, 2 AuraSound AST-2B-4 Pro Bass Shakers, Pimax 5K+

Things are not functioning like this it is much more complicated to explain it in this forum thread but simply this is not fully correct or at least it is not effecting on performances as you describe it.

As proof for this, I will just tell you one thing. If what you say is correct than a picture in the mirror will have minimal impact on game performance and all we know how much impact have mirror turned on.

Things are not functioning like this it is much more complicated to explain it in this forum thread but simply this is not fully correct or at least it is not effecting on performances as you describe it.[...]

Well, I'll gladly wait for an answer from you as you seem to master the topic.

From my perspective, the number of objects displayed on the screen directly affects the game performances. Haven't you never experienced the FPS drop while looking directly to a huge number of objects (like in Vegas) and regaining those FPS while looking straight to the sky ?

I never thought about it until today but the FOV could indeed, add some strain on our rigs due to the increase of objects to render.

There are only two types of aircraft, fighters and targets. - Major Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson, USMC

I see your point. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Given all the delays, we'll probably see the next generation of graphics cards out by release, which will be quite welcome.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

Well, I'll gladly wait for an answer from you as you seem to master the topic.

From my perspective, the number of objects displayed on the screen directly affects the game performances. Haven't you never experienced the FPS drop while looking directly to a huge number of objects (like in Vegas) and regaining those FPS while looking straight to the sky ?

I never thought about it until today but the FOV could indeed, add some strain on our rigs due to the increase of objects to render.

It should be easy to test. Just zoom in/out in Vegas and see if it affects the frame rate.

Never thought about this but for me it makes sense more objects more resources. But it also depends on the software optimization as if you render the same building or tree multiple times etc...

Also visibility distance is similar, more distance more objects, more shadows etc.. and we already know it has a big impact on the frames.

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

Edited by metzger

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

As i have said before, i only backed the 8k when it became apparent that we get fove as a free upgrade later. The only solution to getting fast frame-rates with all things mentioned here, is to limit the gpu to render only the things you look at in hi-res. That is to say the real world frame-rates.

Note also that the Pimax 8k is promised to be upgradeable to 8kx. The screens are the same. By then there will be no upscaling of the image.

Intel Core i7­6700K, 32GB DDR4, 512GB PCIe SSD + 2TB HDD, GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Pimax 5k+

I wonder how the PIMAX 8k will behave with pixel density. Won't we just be able to bump it up to native with the slider?

No, it has some built in hardware that needs to be replaced. You may also need other cables. I believe the 8k uses HDMI ?

Pretty sure the 8k is using DisplayPort 1.4 now.

You may be right on that. One thing to take note of is that Pimax has said that their units are upgradeable, a nice selling point worthy of mention in my opinion.

Intel Core i7­6700K, 32GB DDR4, 512GB PCIe SSD + 2TB HDD, GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Pimax 5k+

Running two full 4k displays at 90hz might end up requiring two display cables.

This signal in the 5K and 8K is 1440p. The headset has a scaler and only one panel is on at a time. It is only the 8kX that will likely need 2 cables.

Edited by dogbite

This signal in the 5K and 8K is 1440p. The headset has a scaler and only one panel is on at a time. It is only the 8kX that will likely need 2 cables.

Yeah, I was talking about the future upgrade version.

The soon to be released 8K alternates drawing the two displays rather than drawing them both at the same time?

The soon to be released 8K alternates drawing the two displays rather than drawing them both at the same time?

Yep, that`s how I understand it and that`s what "Brainwarp" is based on.

I7 6700K, Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, EVGA GTX1080Ti SC, 32GB DDR4 @ 3000, Win10 64, BenQ EW3270ZL 2560x1440, VPC WarBRD Base + TM Warthog Grip, TM Warthog Throttle, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals, Oculus Rift S