DCS and Pimax

Wags

Ok so no matter what I set in my profile.json, it has no effect on the Steam VR resolution slider.

Also, do I want to adjust the steam VR DCS settings, or the "Video" settings, or both?

Below is my profile.json, read only. Tried -2.32 all the way up to 4.5, all the way down to -4.5, no effect on the steam VR slider?

{

"Pimax P2 5K Formal" : {

"color_brightness_0_rgb" : {

"x" : 0.01999999955296516,

"y" : 0.01999999955296516,

"z" : 0.01999999955296516

},

"color_brightness_1_rgb" : {

"x" : 0.01999999955296516,

"y" : 0.01999999955296516,

"z" : 0.01999999955296516

},

"lens_separation" : 0.09180799871683121

},

"FOV_outer_adjust_degree" : 4.5,

"dbg_asw_enable" : 0,

"dbg_hidden_area_enable" : 0,

"enable_pvr_home" : 0,

"ipd" : 0.06584677845239639,

"pixels_per_display_pixel_rate" : 1

}

Moe "Moespeeds" Colontonio

vVMA 231

http://www.vvma-231.com/

Looking for a serious US based Harrier Squadron? We are recruiting!

I have had the Pimax 5K for close to a year and have not used my Rift CV1 or my Odyssey and I know some people have had issues with Pimax but I have not had any problems other that the crappy head strap which I purchased a Vive Audio head strap and 3d printed lugs to mount the head strap . I love the sharpness of the 5K and FOV with virtually not screen door effect. I have had to reduce pixel density in DCS in order to get good frame rate but that's all. I have preordered the Pimax 8KX for the future and would recommend Pimax over other headsets if you like to timker and have the best headset for the money in my opinion .

Ok so no matter what I set in my profile.json, it has no effect on the Steam VR resolution slider.

Also, do I want to adjust the steam VR DCS settings, or the "Video" settings, or both?

Do you have checked ´Override´ in the SteamVR Video Tab?

The other tab in SteamVR, where you could set DCS settings is for setting up different resolution profiles to different Steam Apps.

With mine SteamVR DCS doesn´t even show in the pull-down-menu, as I don´t use the Steam DCS version.

The setting under Video tab is a general setting for resolution, but it has to be checked ´Override´ to adjust the setting manually.

The profile.json is located in c:\user\*username*\AppData\Local\Pimax\runtime\

@biggness

Sally Huang from Pimax wrote, that they will start delivering the P8KX in January. I got mine ordered for totally 860,- $ including tax/VAT and shipment due to the backer upgrade path. Recently they wrote to refund another 100,- $, so it will be finally 760,- $ ... pretty fair I think.

Edited by - Voight -

F-14b Tomcat   /   AV-8B Harrier   /   F-16C Viper  /   KA-50 Black Shark   /   Mi-24 Hind   /   MiG-21bis   

There is no "override" box, only "Enable Custom Resolution", which you have to have checked in order to adjust the slider.

I do not use the Steam version of DCS either, you have to have DCS running in order to make adjustments to DCS in the "Applications" tab. If DCS is not running, it will not show.

I have the correct profile.json, but editing it no longer seems to have any effect. When did you last try this? If it's recent, can you post the exact contents of your file?

@Haukka81 so the Steam VR sliders no longer have any effect? Because increasing them definitely increases in-game resolution with a corresponding drop in frame rate. My mission here is to get to a native Pimax 5K resolution. I used to have this working, but after taking 3 months off from the 5K I can't seem to get it working again...

Moe "Moespeeds" Colontonio

vVMA 231

http://www.vvma-231.com/

Looking for a serious US based Harrier Squadron? We are recruiting!

There is no "override" box, only "Enable Custom Resolution", which you have to have checked in order to adjust the slider.

I do not use the Steam version of DCS either, you have to have DCS running in order to make adjustments to DCS in the "Applications" tab. If DCS is not running, it will not show.

I have the correct profile.json, but editing it no longer seems to have any effect. When did you last try this? If it's recent, can you post the exact contents of your file?

@Haukka81 so the Steam VR sliders no longer have any effect? Because increasing them definitely increases in-game resolution with a corresponding drop in frame rate. My mission here is to get to a native Pimax 5K resolution. I used to have this working, but after taking 3 months off from the 5K I can't seem to get it working again...

Slider still works , but there was time when Steam VR config file limited max horizontal rez 40xx something, way too low to pimax.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oculus CV1, Odyssey, Pimax 5k+ (i5 8400, 24gb ddr4 3000mhz, 1080Ti OC )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yesn the option to check is something similar to "enable custom resolution" in the German SteamVR version. It was named "override" in a previous SteamVR version. Anyway, I´ve tested before I responded to your post recently.

My profile.json looks as follows:

{

"Pimax P2 5K Formal" : {

"color_brightness_0_rgb" : {

"x" : 0,

"y" : 0,

"z" : 0

},

"color_brightness_1_rgb" : {

},

"color_contrast_0_rgb" : {

},

"color_contrast_1_rgb" : {

},

"display_timing_selection" : 0,

"fov_level" : 1,

"fov_outer_adjust_degree" : 5,

"lens_separation" : 0.09089744091033936,

"lens_separation_offset" : -2.374872520860549e-11,

"lens_vertical_offset_0" : 0,

"lens_vertical_offset_1" : 0

},

"dbg_asw_enable" : 1,

"dbg_hidden_area_enable" : 0,

"enable_foveated_rendering" : 0,

"enable_pvr_home" : 0,

"ipd" : 0.06496326625347137,

"pixels_per_display_pixel_rate" : 1,

"steamvr_use_native_fov" : 1,

"support_vive_only_games" : 0

}

With this I´m running SteamVR at 50% = 2568 x 1860

DCS PD 1.4, MSAA 2x, Pitool 1.0 render quality, Parallel Projection activated, normal FOV mode.

It´s a good compromise for me at the moment as I´m more into learning the Tomcat and Viper, for what I need better visuals to identify the instruments etc. easily and don´t need performance over visual quality so much at the moment, as I would, when flying multiplayer on online server.

I don´t think, that it is entirely your fault, that you couldn´t make it work on your system.

Pitool acts very strange from time to time on my system. It is very much a work in progress application, I would say.

Until today Pimax didn´t managed to register Pitool for Microsoft Windows, for that Microsoft Defender always recognizes Pitool as a virus software.. a bit annoying.

But also Pitool often changes its setting without being motivated. From time to time the refresh rate changed from my set 90Hz to 64Hz or 72Hz and I got to reset it. Also parallel projection is sometimes, when I start the Windows, set off instead of being set on, liked I´d safed in last session.

Also, at mine, Pitool never showed the new 120Hz mode, even I got the new version.

Anyways, it does what I want, but I have to recheck many times the settings and reset them to my demands. *Sigh* ... it´s still very much beta software, maybe that could be the reason, why it does not work for you as for me.

F-14b Tomcat   /   AV-8B Harrier   /   F-16C Viper  /   KA-50 Black Shark   /   Mi-24 Hind   /   MiG-21bis   

I would think, there is no necessity to adjust the values in the profile.json manually.

Also I couldn´t say, if your or mine setting would result in a better image quality/performance setting.

If you would not have asked, I would not have touched the profile.json again, but anyway tried to proof for you if it is still working.

the new Pitool version and frimware upgrade for the 5k+ did improve the rendered overhead in the way, that 10% of the masked rendered pixels are no longer rendered at all, which should result in some performance improvement.

While increasing the pixel density in DCS or render resolution in SteamVR or Pitool must have a much bigger impact on performance and visual quality, than what we´ve tried to proof here with adjusting the outer FOV degree.

With the old Pitool version I always got the feeling that the aspect ratio and with this the overhead in rendered pixels as shown in SteamVR is way off from 2560 x 1440. Beside this the aspect ratio and overhead changes with the 3 different FOVs ( large, normal, small ), but nobody could say, if with this only the masked area changes or if with a change of FOV the rendered pixels in the masked area changing too.

I could live very good with current settings for the 5k+, without trying to adjust the profile.json and wait for the 8KX and then never care for image quality again :-)))

Edited by - Voight -

Steamvr edit is obsolete now.

Pitool sets default max rez to 80xx about

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah - no it doesn't.

Editing the value in default.vrsettings is still required if you want to have your headset exceeding the target render resolution limit of 4096

This can be found in your Steam folder under sub directories

Steam\steamapps\common\SteamVR\resources\settings

It also sucks that you have to keep an eye on it if SteamVR updates as sometimes it will overwrite the changes one has made.

Another thing, I myself thought,hmm Pimax 8K so 2 x 4K screens which means I should dial in 4096 per eye for native resolution in VR. I learnt the hard way that this is not the case. A few factors come into play here be it the 5K with 1440p screens or the 8K with 4K screens but upscaling the 1440p signal.

1. There is the Lens profile to take into account. This will warp the 2D image to fit the design of your lens so that what you view through the lens looks geometrically correct.

2. There is the Area Mask which is the overlap of the 2 separate screens which have binocular overlap to provide the 3D Stereo image for us.

3. There is image offset within the screen which allows a little room on the total display area of the screen to allow for horizontal adjustment for IPD and vertical adjustment which can help us users dial in the image based on head shape. I have +1 IPD offset and 1.5 for vertical offset which deals with my neanderthal brow. :thumbup:

Anyway with the 8K I am finding Pitool 1.5 with Large FOV and 2x the SteamVR recommendation for target res is good. That with DCS VR at 1 and VR option set in the graphics options. Still playing around and to be honest - the 8K ain't the sharpest tool on the block.

CAn't wait till my 8K-X lands.:pilotfly:

Anyone order the hand tracking module?

Intel i9 7980XE @4.4Hz

64GB DDR4 RAM at 2666MHz

GTX 1080Ti with 11GB GDDR5X

Reverb Pro HMD

HOTAS: TM Warthog throttle / TM F18 Grip

Dual H640P Huion tablets used with VRK (Virtual Kneeboard ) software

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

DOF Reality P6, 6 axis Motion Platform

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Anyone order the hand tracking module?

Yup, but as with all Pimax backer benefits there has been zero communication about it since the kickstarter.

And since the Kickstarter Leap Motion has been bought out as well, unknown if they have any interest in honoring old deals.

At which point I'd be expecting my $100 back, and I mean refund, not YET another $100 voucher from Pimax.

Edited by Bob_Bushman

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

is parallel projection needet 4 small fov ?

and another question

i use one basestation (v1) and in the "spyclasszoom" the vision wriggles a bit (3-5 mm)

i mean thats because of the vibration from the laser in the station

can you confirm this and someone have maybe an solution ?

the station is very close to the hmd

Edited by ariyaner

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So ive seen this instruction in several posts.

"max horizontal resolution by default to 4096, you have to modify the maxRecommendedResolution in steamvr config. I set it to 8192.

(\Steam\config\steamvr.vrsettings)"

But when i open that cfg file using notepad, i do not see anything about max recommended resolution. I've also noticed that steamvr resolution settings looks different now than it does in the many videos ive watched.

So maybe I'm stuck at the 4096 value?.

I just got the pimax 5K XR 4 xmas. So im jtst getting atarted on getting everythibg set up good for dcs.

After making some changes the cockpit is very legable but the outside is kind of blurry with screen door. Maybe making the above change will correct outside the cockpit resolution?.

I'm currently using pitool 180. I see that 249 is out, so maybe ill update that.

Current settings

DCS PD-1.5

Pimax PD 1.25

FOV-small

Steam custom res70% ( i don't see a SS option anywhere. I guess i have a newer version of steam.)

So my biggest gripe is the way the world looks and how blury the aircraft looks from an outside view. For some reason the oculus had a better look on the outside.

But in the cockpit which is most important looks great.

In game fps right now is steady 40. So not bad.

My system at a glace.

MB: Asus ROG z-390-H

Pros: i7-9700

Graphics: GTX1080 ( Not a TI )

16 gig ram.

So in summary how do i max horizontal resolution above the default 4096 to the 8192. ?

Thanks. I hope everyone had a nice xmas.

Dave.

Edited by chase