DCS and Pimax

Wags

I've spent all day pondering about buying one but I can't get any info about whether I need base stations or not as it dosen't ship with them, they are assuming people have ex Vive kit already. typical Chinese product half baked. their website has the headset for sale but controllers, base'es and everything else is sold out. Never heard of a company in such a mess, I wonder how long they will be solvent. Oh well, I think I'll wait to see what else comes out later this year.:cry:

One of the reasons for me personally Pimax does not fit into my consideration when looking at VR headsets. I know there are folks out there happy with them and that is great for them.

I just have never much cared for the company.

Perhaps someday that might change.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

For the record you don't need the base stations for 3DOF tracking. Seated in DCS a single lighthouse 1.0 or 2.0 will work for 6DOF. While I agree the company has a lot of issues, they don't make the Vive stuff so they have to drop ship it from other suppliers and getting those Vive items in general right now without having to go through Pimax is hard. Getting the headset from China only took a couple of weeks.

Thanks for the reply guys, next Question. already mentioned was the Vive base station, the thing is I already have the CV1 which I wondering if I could use their light houses and controllers. If so I will go ahead and order the 8KX. thanks again .

I hope you have a strong PC to run the 8k. When you receive the 8K, please share your experience about the performance. I am really curious about it. Currently I am running my 4k @ 45 fps with motion smooting which is fine most of the time.

Edited by darkman222

Thanks for the reply guys, next Question. already mentioned was the Vive base station, the thing is I already have the CV1 which I wondering if I could use their light houses and controllers. If so I will go ahead and order the 8KX. thanks again .
I don't think you will get 6DOF headset tracking with Oculus sensor, they work in a different way. You might be able to use the touch controllers in SteamVR but I'm not sure if it allows it of a non-Oculus headset is being used.

I hope you have a strong PC to run the 8k. When you receive the 8K, please share your experience about the performance. I am really curious about it. Currently I am running my 4k @ 45 fps with motion smooting which is fine most of the time.
This for sure. With my Pimax 5k+, I had to slightly turn down from my Rift S visual settings that were often times at full refresh, and I'm happy when Smart Smoothing (ASW) holds 45 fps with the 5k+. But the FOV is amazing!

I7-9700KF@5ghz, 32GB DDR4 3200, RTX 3090, Pimax 5k+, Virpil T-50CM2 base with Warthog, F/A-18, T-50cm, and VFX grips, Saitek X65F, Saitek Switch Panel, TM Cougar MFDs, TM TPR pedals, JetSeat and bass pucks, H640P for VRK, PointCtrl

3rd Space Vest project for basic G Seat/G Suit simulation

Not sure if i'm going to buy just yet. I have just been on their Forums and Facebook pages and there seems to be a lot of angry and upset people at the moment, it seems like their customer services are lacking somewhat. so i'll wait a month or so. Let the queues die down a bit. Yes my PC should handle it. spec; i9 10900k@5.2ghz, asus rtx 2080ti, 32gb corsair dominator DDR4 3200mhz all watercooled.

I have had my Pimax 5K+ for over a year and it continues to perform beautifully with excellent clarity. My rig is an i7-7700, 1080Ti, 32 gigs ram, and I always fly in VR.

I have contacted Pimax support on several occasions and always received a prompt and satisfactory answer and I recently requested a refund on the lighthouses and controllers I had previously ordered and received my refund in 5 days.

Looking forward to a new rig and the 8KX when Nvidia issues the 3080Ti.

I have had my Pimax 5K+ for over a year and it continues to perform beautifully with excellent clarity. My rig is an i7-7700, 1080Ti, 32 gigs ram, and I always fly in VR.

I have contacted Pimax support on several occasions and always received a prompt and satisfactory answer and I recently requested a refund on the lighthouses and controllers I had previously ordered and received my refund in 5 days.

Looking forward to a new rig and the 8KX when Nvidia issues the 3080Ti.

Now that you mention it, I do have Pimax support experience. My shipping label was created within 24 hours after my order but it didn't actually leave the warehouse. I created a support ticket and they got it moving. Most of the the replied were within 24 hours (mostly seemingly due to the 12 hour time difference) with another follow up about a week after it arrived. The key to Pimax support really does seem to be to create a help ticket.

My concern about the 8k+ (or even 5k+) and the 30xx is VRAM. Even at only 80% resolution of the 5k+ with 2x MSAA and 4x AF, I'm filling up my 11GB of VRAM and I think this is why even with my ok CPU frame times, I'm only getting 60-70% GPU utilization while non VR 1440p sometimes I hit 100% GPU with only 8gb VRAM usage.

The rumored new 3080 Ti (possibly renamed to 3090) is supposedly only going to up to 12GB VRAM, it's the new Titan that will have 24GB and the regular 3080 will have 11GB. I really think for DCS, VRAM is a bottleneck with Pimax headsets with how many pixels it needs to push in stereo.

I7-9700KF@5ghz, 32GB DDR4 3200, RTX 3090, Pimax 5k+, Virpil T-50CM2 base with Warthog, F/A-18, T-50cm, and VFX grips, Saitek X65F, Saitek Switch Panel, TM Cougar MFDs, TM TPR pedals, JetSeat and bass pucks, H640P for VRK, PointCtrl

Now that you mention it, I do have Pimax support experience. My shipping label was created within 24 hours after my order but it didn't actually leave the warehouse. I created a support ticket and they got it moving. Most of the the replied were within 24 hours (mostly seemingly due to the 12 hour time difference) with another follow up about a week after it arrived. The key to Pimax support really does seem to be to create a help ticket.

My concern about the 8k+ (or even 5k+) and the 30xx is VRAM. Even at only 80% resolution of the 5k+ with 2x MSAA and 4x AF, I'm filling up my 11GB of VRAM and I think this is why even with my ok CPU frame times, I'm only getting 60-70% GPU utilization while non VR 1440p sometimes I hit 100% GPU with only 8gb VRAM usage.

The rumored new 3080 Ti (possibly renamed to 3090) is supposedly only going to up to 12GB VRAM, it's the new Titan that will have 24GB and the regular 3080 will have 11GB. I really think for DCS, VRAM is a bottleneck with Pimax headsets with how many pixels it needs to push in stereo.

just a suggestion but turn off the msaa and AF, dont need it. notice difference in frame rates.

just a suggestion but turn off the msaa and AF, dont need it. notice difference in frame rates.

The shimmering and jaggies are pretty big immersion killers for me, but those are the first thing to turn off if I need the performance. But most of the time since I can't run at full refresh rate with both of those off and them being on still allows for the half refresh rate of smart smoothing, if I'm running smart smoothing it's a wash. VRAM usage hovers at least 95% and actually the time I ran with MSAA and AF off to confirm what I was saying for this post it was 100%.

My main concern is not the GPU- It is the CPU bottleneck we still have all the time.

So Vulkan API is needed so badly at the moment.

If I fly over Caucasus with the F18 I end up with a frame rate of 60 fps. But if I use the Su57 Mod, which seems to have a really simplified flight model with very little CPU load I can fly in the same area with 90 fps.

So the complexity of the F18 flight model bottlenecks the CPU sending the frames in time to the GPU for a higher frame rate. Even a 3080 or 3090 wont help me in that case.

My rig is a Ryzen 5 3600x @ 4,2 GHz.

I did the math some posts before, and even upgrading to an intel @ 5 Ghz wont bring me to 90 fps, although my 2080Ti is absolutely capable of.

As long as DCS is running mostly on one core, and not able to spread processes on multiple CPU threads, I will be stuck below 90 fps , running 45 fps with motion smooting.

My main concern is not the GPU- It is the CPU bottleneck we still have all the time.

So Vulkan API is needed so badly at the moment.

If I fly over Caucasus with the F18 I end up with a frame rate of 60 fps. But if I use the Su57 Mod, which seems to have a really simplified flight model with very little CPU load I can fly in the same area with 90 fps.

So the complexity of the F18 flight model bottlenecks the CPU sending the frames in time to the GPU for a higher frame rate. Even a 3080 or 3090 wont help me in that case.

My rig is a Ryzen 5 3600x @ 4,2 GHz.

I did the math some posts before, and even upgrading to an intel @ 5 Ghz wont bring me to 90 fps, although my 2080Ti is absolutely capable of.

As long as DCS is running mostly on one core, and not able to spread processes on multiple CPU threads, I will be stuck below 90 fps , running 45 fps with motion smooting.

My system most of the time is not CPU limited. My bet is the next generation of video cards will come out (September) before Vulkan does for DCS. Yes, Vulkan is on the DCS roadmap but they have had a lot of issues lately slowing them down.

As we talked about with my fpsVR test, my CPU frametime can get a little lower than 10ms with average being around 11-12ms with the settings you wanted me to run. Sometimes it will get higher than the video card frametime if I get down low or there is something complicated going on in newer aircraft, but there is far more orange on the video card side. I'd be happy to run more tests and save them with fpsVR for you but my time maybe limited on it until next week.

However, with the testing I did today with lower resolutions, it doesn't seem that the VRAM is my bottleneck, but I'm still always close to filling up the 11Gb with newer aircraft like the F-16.

Hi all, with a 161 pages of this thread, it was to much to skim though for answers. So I'll just ask.

I have the Pimax 5K XR version. How do you guys adjust the IPD. Unlike the Oculus, where there was a green crosshair, the Pimax has none. But it does have a slider wheel and further adjustments in the software. I just have no idea which way to slide the IPD. I think I have it on 64 ipd. I get eye strain while flying. Even more so if I turn off the parallel Projection option in the Pimax settings. But that comes with a performance hit. I know DCS has added there own native parallel Projection but with only that on, I do get the cross eyes and way worse eye strain.

In short, I don't know how to adjust the IPD. hopefully that alone will help. Thanks.

Dave.

Hi all, with a 161 pages of this thread, it was to much to skim though for answers. So I'll just ask.

I have the Pimax 5K XR version. How do you guys adjust the IPD. Unlike the Oculus, where there was a green crosshair, the Pimax has none. But it does have a slider wheel and further adjustments in the software. I just have no idea which way to slide the IPD. I think I have it on 64 ipd. I get eye strain while flying. Even more so if I turn off the parallel Projection option in the Pimax settings. But that comes with a performance hit. I know DCS has added there own native parallel Projection but with only that on, I do get the cross eyes and way worse eye strain.

In short, I don't know how to adjust the IPD. hopefully that alone will help. Thanks.

Dave.

Just so you know, Rift S doesn't have those crosses either which is too bad. I knew my number from the Rift CV1 and then confirmed it using a ruler in the mirror. There is a dial under the right rear of the 5k+, I would assume it's there with the XR. When you adjust it with the headset on it tells you the number.

I leave parallel projections on because without it the zoom is screwed up and I need that a lot in VR. The setting that had the most effect on double vision in PiTool is turning off the Hidden Mask Area. Also this post earlier in the thread seemed to have the biggest effect overall for me:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3997329&postcount=1347

Hi,

still the begining i'm having some doubts about my fps.

Maybe you can help me on the settings that needs to be used and tell me how much fps you have.

A saw some tell about 80pfs etc.. I never reach that level.

My config is i8086 anniversary (5ghz in turbo)

64 gig ram 3200

nvidia 2080 ti

SSD 1 ter.

PImax 5k+

I have the latest drivers and pitool and a new fresh windows install.

In the mission immediate action f14 rampstart i reach from 30 to 36 fps depending of different settings inside DCS.

Pitool is 1, steam vr auto.

Is it normal?

Thanks for your advice or your own result and settings tips.

Cheers ;)

Hi,

still the begining i'm having some doubts about my fps.

Maybe you can help me on the settings that needs to be used and tell me how much fps you have.

A saw some tell about 80pfs etc.. I never reach that level.

My config is i8086 anniversary (5ghz in turbo)

64 gig ram 3200

nvidia 2080 ti

SSD 1 ter.

PImax 5k+

I have the latest drivers and pitool and a new fresh windows install.

In the mission immediate action f14 rampstart i reach from 30 to 36 fps depending of different settings inside DCS.

Pitool is 1, steam vr auto.

Is it normal?

Thanks for your advice or your own result and settings tips.

Cheers ;)

For the ground that can be pretty normal since DCS always has a FPS hit on the ground/low altitude. Start a free flight in the air to see what it is. Even then I doubt you'll be able to hold 80 fps at altitude though. Smart smoothing is required for Pimax right now. Remember your are basically running 8,000,000 pixels in stereo, which makes it more demanding than standard 4k gaming at about 8,000,000 pixels as well but the extra issue of having to do a left and right eye view. Standard 1440p monitor/Rift S is pushing around half that amount with the monitor in 2d, Rift S in stereo. Now that I have a good amount of time in the 5k+, I plan to fly some more hours in the Rift S next week to do a comparison of FPS of Rift S vs FOV of 5k+.
  • Like 1

Thanks for your reply.

Im' testing always in worst case scenario. IMO it's the best to do but yes, dcs is very demanding with pimax.

I just found something is that using pitool rendering at 2 and steam at nearly minimum, i have better fps (2 to 5 more not a lot).

Inverting the process or even using 1 at each give less fps.

So Pitool redering seams less hungry than steam vr. ;)

My 5 cents

I get my 8KX in July. Should be interesting.

GPU: RTX 4090 - 3,000 MHz core / 12,000 MHz VRAM. 

CPU: 7950X3d - 5.2 GHz X3d, 5.8 GHz secondary / MB: ASUS Crosshair X670E Gene / RAM: G.Skill 48GB 6400 MHz

SSD: Intel Optane P5800X - 800GB

VR: Pimax Crystal

CONTROLS: VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base / VPC Constellation ALPHA Prime Grip / VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle / TM Pendular Rudders

I leave parallel projections on because without it the zoom is screwed up and I need that a lot in VR. The setting that had the most effect on double vision in PiTool is turning off the Hidden Mask Area. Also this post earlier in the thread seemed to have the biggest effect overall for me:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3997329&postcount=1347

I turned this off today, and wow!!! The performance and clarity is much better! Earlier in the thread it was mentioned that maybe 2.5.6 fixed the zoom issue, which I wasn't running when I first got the Pimax since I run the stable. With parallel projection on, HUDs weren't that readable at large FOV due to aliasing, now I don't have that problem and much better performance than I was getting with normal FOV with it on.
  • Like 1

I'm interested in the real-time eyetracking and dynamic foveated rendering technology of the 8KX, which can supposedly improve framerate by up to 50%.

With the combination of eyetracked DFR and the upcoming NVIDIA GPU, we might reach the point where ASW is not required and that would be ideal for DCS VR.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Best Settings for 8K+ in DCS?

Hi folks. Is there a post somewhere with the best settings for the Pimax 8K+ in DCS? I saw one that had an exhaustive set of configurations for the 5K... but was thinking that it might be different for the 8K.

CPU: Intel Core i9 10900K  -  GPU: ASUS ROG Strix 3090 OC Edition  - Mobo: Asus ROG Maximus XII Formula Motherboard  -  RAM: 64 GB HyperX  -  EK Open Loop liquid-cooling  -  PSU: FSP Hydro+ PTM 1200 Watt liquid-cooled Power Supply   -   PIMAX 8KX Headset

ThrustMaster Warthog Throttle and Stick  -  Winwing Landing and Combat Panels  -  MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

I'm interested in the real-time eyetracking and dynamic foveated rendering technology of the 8KX, which can supposedly improve framerate by up to 50%.

With the combination of eyetracked DFR and the upcoming NVIDIA GPU, we might reach the point where ASW is not required and that would be ideal for DCS VR.

pimax put up some benchmarks on their forums and its showing mostly around 30% to 35% improvement