DCS and Pimax

Wags

Melchionda, are you really sure you use the latest Pitool?

I dont have a gamma slider in my Pitool. The contrast slider works fine for me.

But I have a 5k with Oled displays and no issues. Might be because the 8K plus has CLPL panels. Which is a turn down for me.

But performance wise, I am really interested. Can you try with all settings set to low, the Su25 free flight mission, without motion smoothing, and render quality set to 1. What frame rates do you get? Is it much lower than on the 5k? Did you own the 5k previously?

I think you mis-read my post...

The Gamma setting is in DCS, not PiTool. I tried to make that clear in how I formatted the post.

However, since you responded I am curious.. when you say Contrast works fine for you what do you mean by that? Did you try moving the contrast slider all the way to the right and then all the way to the left? It took me a while to figure this out. To see its effect I had to move the slider all the way to the right, saved the setting then shut everything down and restart PiTool, Steam, then DCS, Checked the image... then moved the slider all the way to the left, saved the setting, shut everythind down, restarted pitool, Steam and then DCS. Only after doing those steps (while also making sure not to change everything else) did it seem like the Contrast slider in PiTool was inverted.

However w/r/t balancing the settings in the HUD vs the cockpit in the 8K+, I think attempting to find the right settings by leveraging experience in a 5K is probably like comparing Apple to Oranges. Really hoping someone with an 8K+ has some insight on this.

Edited by melchionda

CPU: Intel Core i9 10900K  -  GPU: ASUS ROG Strix 3090 OC Edition  - Mobo: Asus ROG Maximus XII Formula Motherboard  -  RAM: 64 GB HyperX  -  EK Open Loop liquid-cooling  -  PSU: FSP Hydro+ PTM 1200 Watt liquid-cooled Power Supply   -   PIMAX 8KX Headset

ThrustMaster Warthog Throttle and Stick  -  Winwing Landing and Combat Panels  -  MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

Try this

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=281666

Currently the game renders like a very overexposed camera, this tones it down to something a bit more reasonable.

Yes, exactly. That is a good way to describe it.

I'm not sure if I am going to install yet another mod. I really try to keep my installs stock as possible. Its one of my gripes with DCS. Requires a ton of mods and hacking to get it to work properly. I think that this impacts their bottom line. I dont mind spending the time to read up on and learn the ins and outs of the CDU in the A10C but I definitely do not want to spend so many hour installing mods an programing my computer to get DCS to run right.

Its particularly painful for me because I am a Product Designer by profession.

CPU: Intel Core i9 10900K  -  GPU: ASUS ROG Strix 3090 OC Edition  - Mobo: Asus ROG Maximus XII Formula Motherboard  -  RAM: 64 GB HyperX  -  EK Open Loop liquid-cooling  -  PSU: FSP Hydro+ PTM 1200 Watt liquid-cooled Power Supply   -   PIMAX 8KX Headset

ThrustMaster Warthog Throttle and Stick  -  Winwing Landing and Combat Panels  -  MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

Hey guys. Back to the Pimax foveated rendering topic.... The last I had seen I thought ED had stated that Nvidia VRSS would not work in DCS World, and I'm pretty sure Pimax foveated rendering is using VRSS so by extension would not work in DCS. Can we get actual 100% confirmation that it does indeed work? I won't have my Pimax HMD until probably October so I'm anxious to hear.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Demo of my 6DOF Motion VR Sim:

Here is a little tidbit from Pimax that worked wonders for my 5k+ visual sharpness. I have been flying DCS that past two nights with these fixes, and now I can finally read the ABRIS in the blackshark without zooming in! Highly recommend the updates in this Pimax post for a visually clear Pimax experience, especially the SteamVR config tweaks! Added benefit, with Steam SS now at 100% for all my games, there is FPS increase to boot! Check it out here, if you have not seen this already:

https://community.openmr.ai/t/how-to-make-your-pimax-image-crisp/29688

The Rig: i5 7700k OC 4.6ghz, 16 GB RAM, GTX 1080ti, Windows 10

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...

Very little Pimax news at the moment... Surprised to see this thread slipped down.

I received my Pimax 8KX yesterday, which I bought via the Kickstarter backer upgrade program.

Pretty happy with it so far. Very nice upgrade in clarity over the 5K Plus. Cockpit elements are much, much easier to see now.

Performance wise, I haven't noticed much of a difference at all, which is great. I had the 5k plus running at higher pixels anyway, and the visual results with the same settings on the 8KX are much better, given the higher resolution panels.

The new headstrap is also a great improvement, but not perfect for me personally. The bridge of my nose still pushes against the edge of the lenses, meaning I probably need a thicker cushion. Also, perhaps my head is too small, because the sides of the cushion don't quite contour to the side of my head, which lets a slight bit of light in the sides. I rectified these problems somewhat by removing the cushion and scrunching it a little tighter.

Also, the deluxe headphones weren't delivered yet. There is integrated audio in the headstrap in the form of speakers near the ears. Sound quality is OK but seems off, somehow far away and dampened, which is to be expected. This solution has the advantage/disadvantage of being able to hear the wife calling, but I can also clearly hear the vibrations of my Jetseat, which is annoying.

So all in all, not 100% perfect, but a very good headset nonetheless, which I will happily use, replacing my 5K Plus.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

Very little Pimax news at the moment... Surprised to see this thread slipped down.

I received my Pimax 8KX yesterday, which I bought via the Kickstarter backer upgrade program.

Pretty happy with it so far. Very nice upgrade in clarity over the 5K Plus. Cockpit elements are much, much easier to see now.

Performance wise, I haven't noticed much of a difference at all, which is great. I had the 5k plus running at higher pixels anyway, and the visual results with the same settings on the 8KX are much better, given the higher resolution panels.

The new headstrap is also a great improvement, but not perfect for me personally. The bridge of my nose still pushes against the edge of the lenses, meaning I probably need a thicker cushion. Also, perhaps my head is too small, because the sides of the cushion don't quite contour to the side of my head, which lets a slight bit of light in the sides. I rectified these problems somewhat by removing the cushion and scrunching it a little tighter.

Also, the deluxe headphones weren't delivered yet. There is integrated audio in the headstrap in the form of speakers near the ears. Sound quality is OK but seems off, somehow far away and dampened, which is to be expected. This solution has the advantage/disadvantage of being able to hear the wife calling, but I can also clearly hear the vibrations of my Jetseat, which is annoying.

So all in all, not 100% perfect, but a very good headset nonetheless, which I will happily use, replacing my 5K Plus.

What sort of FPS do you get with the 2080ti and the Pimax?

...Pretty happy with it so far. Very nice upgrade in clarity over the 5K Plus. Cockpit elements are much, much easier to see now.

Performance wise, I haven't noticed much of a difference at all, which is great. I had the 5k plus running at higher pixels anyway, and the visual results with the same settings on the 8KX are much better, given the higher resolution panels...

...So all in all, not 100% perfect, but a very good headset nonetheless, which I will happily use, replacing my 5K Plus.

Thanks for the update! What settings were you running the 5k+ at with PD super sampling?

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk

I7-9700KF@5ghz, 32GB DDR4 3200, RTX 3090, Pimax 5k+, Virpil T-50CM2 base with Warthog, F/A-18, T-50cm, and VFX grips, Saitek X65F, Saitek Switch Panel, TM Cougar MFDs, TM TPR pedals, JetSeat and bass pucks, H640P for VRK, PointCtrl

3rd Space Vest project for basic G Seat/G Suit simulation

Fantastic!!! I have very similar PC specs as you so this is welcome news,Got my Pimax shipping notice yesterday so hopefully will be nxt week some time:thumbup:

Patrick

mini.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I recently ordered 8KX and base stations. I havent really got a grip of the controllers.

Pimax own is not out yet...

Which controllers can I use with the Pimax and which one is recommended ?

(Starting to feel I might have done a misstake, not ordering the knuckles togheter with the pimax...)

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

I recently ordered 8KX and base stations. I havent really got a grip of the controllers.

Pimax own is not out yet...

Which controllers can I use with the Pimax and which one is recommended ?

(Starting to feel I might have done a misstake, not ordering the knuckles togheter with the pimax...)

The knuckles will work as will the at least the 2.0 Vive wands. There is a 1.0 and 2.0 wands (2018) and IIRC 2.0 wands are blue. I believe Pimax is sending the 2.0 "lighthouse" base stations which is only supposed to work with the 2.0 wands and knuckles.

I7-9700KF@5ghz, 32GB DDR4 3200, RTX 3090, Pimax 5k+, Virpil T-50CM2 base with Warthog, F/A-18, T-50cm, and VFX grips, Saitek X65F, Saitek Switch Panel, TM Cougar MFDs, TM TPR pedals, JetSeat and bass pucks, H640P for VRK, PointCtrl

Anybody has 3090 and Pimax 8KX yet? I’m curious about image fidelity and Performance/fps, also want to know if eye tracking/foveated rendering works with DCS.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Friend of mine got the eye tracker for his 5k+, and it drops fps in DCS by 20%. So yeah, don't look to that for an improvement! I was quite keen to get eye tracking for my 5k+, but that is now a hard pass.

Pimax say it will only help when you are GPU bound.

7700K@5Ghz, 32GB 3600 CL16, 3080.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, new DCS player here (<90h) and aspiring VR user.

I've been doing some really deep research about the best VR options for DCS, and I'm more interested on the Pimax 5K+ over the HP Reverb G2, due to its large FOV (I also do simracing). However I'm not convinced yet that the visual clarity of the Pimax 5K+ is sufficient for reading HUD and MFDs texts without having to zoom, and also to spot ground enemies (I love doing Air-to-Ground missions).

So, I'd like to know your opinion on these topics, is the 5K+ good enough in terms of clarity for small HUD and cockpit elements, as well as for spotting ground units, or should I go for something with more resolution, like the Reverb G2?

I have never experienced VR, so I don't really know how good or bad a "standard" 100° FOV looks like when compared to the Pimax FOV...

I have a 5k+. It looks just fine, but obviously can't compete with 4k panels for resolution. You will be giving up detail. However, in the hornet, it is pretty good. I'd say it's good enough without being GREAT. You will have to lean in a bit to see smaller details on MFDs, but the rest is very good. I have no real complaints with it.

However, you do get the wide FoV. I can't give that up. I'd rather lean in now and then, than look through scuba goggles again. The wide FoV is much more immersive for me. Others will disagree ofc.

So I'm waiting to see if 8kX gets a price drop, or even better, a quality competitor comes out with something similar.

Dunno if that helps you or not.

Questions for you guys.If i buy a 3090 or new amd graphic card (6900...?) ,do i need to change the motherboard?I have a 390z one with 9900K and Oculus Rift S.PSU is Corsair 1200w.Just want to put higher DCS fluidity without buying a new big rig for that.Thank's a lot!

Questions for you guys.If i buy a 3090 or new amd graphic card (6900...?) ,do i need to change the motherboard?I have a 390z one with 9900K and Oculus Rift S.PSU is Corsair 1200w.Just want to put higher DCS fluidity without buying a new big rig for that.Thank's a lot!

No need to change the motherboard for a 3090(or 3080). You will be fine.

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

I have a 5k+. It looks just fine, but obviously can't compete with 4k panels for resolution. You will be giving up detail. However, in the hornet, it is pretty good. I'd say it's good enough without being GREAT. You will have to lean in a bit to see smaller details on MFDs, but the rest is very good. I have no real complaints with it.

However, you do get the wide FoV. I can't give that up. I'd rather lean in now and then, than look through scuba goggles again. The wide FoV is much more immersive for me. Others will disagree ofc.

So I'm waiting to see if 8kX gets a price drop, or even better, a quality competitor comes out with something similar.

Dunno if that helps you or not.

It does help, thanks! Would you say it's possible to identify SAM launches and enemy AA missiles quickly, or due to the reasonable lack of visual clarity this is something that gets a bit more difficult?

Edited by williamzporto

Agreed, where the Pimax shines is FOV. I love the large FOV and everytime I put my Rift S back on I'm so underwhelmed even though it has slightly less SDE. I don't get all the hype on the Reverb G2, the extra Pimax FOV for me has been well worth it! In BFM it is much easier to get a tally on the bandit. SAM smoke trails are also easier to spot. Overall my neck gets far less of a workout I've noticed because I don't need to find stuff on the soda straw of the Rift S. See the inbound missiles without smoke trails are still hard though.

I have a similar system and the 3090 has made a big difference for me as well form my 1080 Ti.

Edited by Snake122

It does help, thanks! Would you say it's possible to identify SAM launches and enemy AA missiles quickly, or due to the reasonable lack of visual clarity this is something that gets a bit more difficult?

Visually spotting enemy missiles from a distance is a bit screwed atm. But mostly because of how DCS draws stuff. If you're close to a SAM (<10nm for example), you can see it easily. But go just a little further away, and DCS stops rendering it completely. Zoom in, and you can see the smoke trails again, etc. It's more a DCS problem, not VR resolution imho.

It's the same with aircraft. Look in the direction of approaching aircraft, you see nothing. Zoom in, and suddenly you see contrails. You should see them without any zoom of course, just smaller.

So if you are looking in the right area and zoomed in a bit, SAM launches are very obvious. Zoom out, and you might see nothing.

Spotting ground targets is tricky. I use the TGP to help or do all my attacks.

Also I must admit I have broken down and accepted that VR (and most monitors at normal viewing distance except 4k <30" size) means you have less that 20/20 vision on screen, even with a 8k+ or G2, etc. So I have experimented with a custom .Lua for dot only labels that turn on at only the realistic ranges and I'm happy with that compromise so far.

Also I must admit I have broken down and accepted that VR (and most monitors at normal viewing distance except 4k <30" size) means you have less that 20/20 vision on screen, even with a 8k+ or G2, etc. So I have experimented with a custom .Lua for dot only labels that turn on at only the realistic ranges

I see many here complaining about visual detection range. I began with oculus rift and while first gen consumer VR set sometimes made it hard to spot things far away I experience the HP reverb actually give me longer detection range than I have in real life flying.

I think most people overestimate by far the actual distance where you can see and detect another aircraft. A normal range would be 5 miles, maybe 10. This in very clear air that give you unlimited visibility( we often have this far north were I live). Rest of the world most often give a visibility thats only a fraction of this).

In many places a really nice day gives perhaps 10 to 20miles visibility maximum.

You can not see another aircraft beyond the visibility, in fact its hard to detect one thats half that range.

With the reverb I see aircrafts quite far away.

I see many here complaining about visual detection range. I began with oculus rift and while first gen consumer VR set sometimes made it hard to spot things far away I experience the HP reverb actually give me longer detection range than I have in real life flying.

I think most people overestimate by far the actual distance where you can see and detect another aircraft. A normal range would be 5 miles, maybe 10. This in very clear air that give you unlimited visibility( we often have this far north were I live). Rest of the world most often give a visibility thats only a fraction of this).

In many places a really nice day gives perhaps 10 to 20miles visibility maximum.

You can not see another aircraft beyond the visibility, in fact its hard to detect one thats half that range.

With the reverb I see aircrafts quite far away.

I agree that DCS seems to overestimate visual ranges of aircraft especially, which is why my labels.lua ranges are far less than default. The one I actually feel the worst about is the friendly/bandit IDs at different ranges (which are far closer than default DCS still). I think back to Col. Cesar “Rico” Rodriguez havjng to merge on his second Mig-29 kill to VID it because it looks so similar to a F-15 and F/A-18 at distance. On the other hand, if it was a Su-22/27 or Mig-21/23, he would have probably been to VID well before the merge.

Right now that blue/red fill is at 3500m (1.88nm) in my labels.lua where as that is 5000m by default and think I'm going to turn it down to 2500m (1.34 nm). The aircraft labels right now turn off then so I can get good gun tracks, so that might go down to 1850m (1nm). But I definitely know that my overall VID range is less than RL in VR...

There are some other things that I've seen from my real life flying experience as just a career civilian flight instructor with about 3000 hours that still make VR not feel like enough, but I would love to hear your experiences too. For instance, there are times I've been able to ID aircraft types from that 1.88nm far away that are fighter size, not to mention larger aircraft (I still have around 20/20-20/15 distance vision). One of the other things is that ground vehicles in real life always seem to be easier to pick out in my opinion, granted I spend most of my flights in what jets would call the weeds and I'm not looking at camouflaged military vehicles, but I also see off road vehicles kick up more dust that what DCS does and leave visible trails through fields. If you are taking the DCS dot only labels and getting rid of the super far dot and turning everything else down by at least 50%, I think it is a realistic trade so far.