DCS and Pimax

Wags

12 hours ago, libory said:

I have Pimax 8kx and I am having a very bad time with edges on the rivers, sea, etc.. and the clouds on the distant even with Anti-alising at 4x and clouds to extreme. Does anybody manage to fix this? It is very distracting.

I think you'll need to experiment with different settings both in PiTool and in DCS options.As everyone's system/GPU/CPU are different as well as personal preferences  there really is no easy answer.

Patrick

mini.gif

• 2 months later...
On 3/22/2021 at 4:56 PM, Phantom88 said:

I've been running the new firmware and recommended Nvidia driver since Friday,It is smooth as silk with no screen flickering at all....This is the best DCS has ever ran on my Pimax 8KX since I got it a yr ago. 

Hi Phantom88,

I am a PMAX 5K Super VR user operating on the following rig: MSI X570-A-Pro Modo (PCIe4), 2TB M2 SSD (for OS and games), 32GB RAM @3200mhz (OC), AMD Ryzen 9 3900X CPU and EVGA3080TI GPU. 

I am currently getting over 60FPS in DCS at almost FULL details...which is mind blowing! My FOV is 150deg...not ventures on the 200deg FOV realm yet

My question to you is, given my rig, would switching to a PIMAX 8Kx affect some performances? In essence, going from 5K Super to 8Kx has more pixels to render = less FPS in the game (wt the 8Kx)? Does that make sense? There must be a performance hit in switching to an HMD having more pixels/fragments to display. 

Phantom88, what are your rig specifications and what king of general FPSs are you getting?

Thanks for your feedback...

Would also appreciate insight from anyone else with a PIMAX 8kx...

THX    

• Like 1

MOBO/MSI X570-A PRO/PCIe 4. CPU/AMD RYZEN 9 3900X (12 CORE), RAM/DDR4-32 GB (3200MHZ with XMP activated on the MOBO), GPU/EVGA-RTX 3080Ti, HMD/PIMAX Crystal, HOTAS/Thrustmaster Cougar

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the heads up. Will I the Pi Tool already include the new Gemini driver update for hand tracking which is now supported in the newest DCS version? Or do I have to update something manually?

(->Leap motion gemini 5.2 drivers. Users may need to update their leap motion drivers to the latest gemini drivers.)

Just checking in as a new 8KX user. I knew going in that this wasn't exactly a plug & play headset, but it's proving a bit more annoying than expected, especially given a really annoying bug that Pimax tool can only open Steam VR once, and crashes any subsequent times.

Anyway, I'm still trying to fiddle around with settings. I won't say I'm doing brilliantly, I'm somewhat constrained also by the fact that I like flying helicopters and ground attack, making lowering terrain a little less feasible. It is, however, proving quite difficult to find a neophyte's guide as to just what all the various systems do and how they interact with each other. For example, why change render value on Steam VR vs PiTool?

I'm hoping that with a reasonably modern system I can do well enough, but at least my framerate, though not perfect, is doing far better than I'm managing with MSFS right now. (In fact, MSFS is currently giving me a rapidly vibrating screen in the headset, though the on-monitor repeaters are perfectly still). If I use the "Harbor Tour" immediate action of the UH-1 as a reference, I seem to be getting about 28-32 FPS according to FPS-VR, though objects certainly look a lot jerkier than that.

More to the point, though, I'm really missing the option of flipping up the headset to look at the keys. I know "Voice Attack" is the preferred option for things like cycling through the radio menus, but I want to play quietly without the rest of my family hearing me shout at the computer, and I do find myself squinting at some panel labels when I'm not looking directly at them. I'm wondering if this whole VR thing wasn't a better idea in theory than in practice. Still, flying around in the helo is proving quite an impressive experience in VR. 

System specs:

Ryzen 9 5900, AMD 6800XT 16GB, 32GB RAM. Running off an M2 drive. 8KX w/ 2x BS 2.0

Suggestions welcome in the meantime, but I'll check back in after doing more fiddling.

2 hours ago, 3Star said:

Just checking in as a new 8KX user. I knew going in that this wasn't exactly a plug & play headset, but it's proving a bit more annoying than expected, especially given a really annoying bug that Pimax tool can only open Steam VR once, and crashes any subsequent times.

Anyway, I'm still trying to fiddle around with settings. I won't say I'm doing brilliantly, I'm somewhat constrained also by the fact that I like flying helicopters and ground attack, making lowering terrain a little less feasible. It is, however, proving quite difficult to find a neophyte's guide as to just what all the various systems do and how they interact with each other. For example, why change render value on Steam VR vs PiTool?

I'm hoping that with a reasonably modern system I can do well enough, but at least my framerate, though not perfect, is doing far better than I'm managing with MSFS right now. (In fact, MSFS is currently giving me a rapidly vibrating screen in the headset, though the on-monitor repeaters are perfectly still). If I use the "Harbor Tour" immediate action of the UH-1 as a reference, I seem to be getting about 28-32 FPS according to FPS-VR, though objects certainly look a lot jerkier than that.

More to the point, though, I'm really missing the option of flipping up the headset to look at the keys. I know "Voice Attack" is the preferred option for things like cycling through the radio menus, but I want to play quietly without the rest of my family hearing me shout at the computer, and I do find myself squinting at some panel labels when I'm not looking directly at them. I'm wondering if this whole VR thing wasn't a better idea in theory than in practice. Still, flying around in the helo is proving quite an impressive experience in VR. 

System specs:

Ryzen 9 5900, AMD 6800XT 16GB, 32GB RAM. Running off an M2 drive. 8KX w/ 2x BS 2.0

Suggestions welcome in the meantime, but I'll check back in after doing more fiddling.

Hello.What Speed are you running your CPU at? This can be a big bottleneck in DCS/VR.I would first select The VR preset in the game menu and slowly/test/play with higher settings till you reach a good balance,

Also ck out this vid as a starting point with Pitool settings...as every PC is different along with user preferences  finding a good DCS VR Experience  is more a Balancing act than anything.

Patrick

mini.gif

Looks like No CES 2022 for Pimax....

Pimax UPdate December 31st 2021

renderTimingPixel.png

Pimax Update

31st December 2021

1. Pimax CES 2022 Official Withdrawal Statement

We regret to inform our customers, partners and fans that we have decided we won’t be able to operate our booth at CES 2022 in Las Vegas, Nevada January 5th through the 8th.  

This decision was a difficult one as we had already decided to operate the booth without the participation of some of the key elements of our team due to international travel restrictions and use personnel from our USA office only along with an enthusiastic group of volunteers who stepped forward to assist.

As the show date approached the extremely rapid spread of the Omicron variant of Covid-19 caused a number of our partners, scheduled media appearances and other show activities to be either moved online or cancelled. This, combined with considerations about the safety of our staff and amazing volunteers we ultimately decided caution was the best approach and informed the teams we are withdrawing from operating the booth on the show floor.

A great deal of effort continues to be poured into our next generation headset development efforts and we are extremely excited to show the public our accomplishments in bringing VR 3.0 to enthusiasts everywhere. We have an amazing lineup of breakthroughs to show, some of them have progressed beyond what we expected to be able to show at this event.

Media, Partners and Enthusiast Las Vegas Meeting Requests

Some team members are still traveling to Las Vegas during CES and can be made available to meet with Media, Partners and Enthusiasts during the show upon request. If you would like to check out some of our next generation technology or arrange for an interview discussing what the future holds for Pimax please email us at pimaxusa@pimax.com to arrange for a meeting.

LiveStream NextGen Technology Event

A short time after CES has ended we will be doing a livestream event to show the public our next generation VR technology and more. Plus we will be answering your questions! We will provide a press 

release with more details about this upcoming event.

Thank You for Your Support

Every day we see the dawn even after the darkest nights and we are certain the world will see the dawn and the end of this pandemic one day soon.We at Pimax offer you all our best wishes, thoughts and hopes for 2022!

Stay Safe!

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

2. Pitool V274 Beta

The new Pitool V274 is now available. This version includes bug fixes and optimizations and this version fixes compatibility issues with Tundra trackers.

Please let us know your experience and any issues with Pitool 274 in this thread:

https://community.openmr.ai/t/pitool-v1-0-1-274-beta/37772

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

3. Christmas Snap and Win Contest!

The Christmas Snap and Win contest ends December 31st so only a short time to post your Pimax headset and PC setup to grab a chance to win a Steam Gift Card! You can check it out here:

https://community.openmr.ai/t/christmas-snap-and-win-contest/37742/15

4. Ultra VR Package

https://pimax.com/product/pimax-ultra-vr-package-2022/

Flash deal for 8KX and 5K Super! Starting from only $999!

Time to start a new VR journey with us at 2022!

T&C applied.

Patrick

mini.gif

This new Omicron variant is being blown way out of proportion.

Welcome to the world we live in today.

• Thanks 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

4 hours ago, dburne said:

This new Omicron variant is being blown way out of proportion.

Welcome to the world we live in today.

I totally agree…My Wife and I recently cancelled  a trip to Mexico…not because We’re afraid of getting sick(we decided to drive to Florida instead😁)but because we are afraid of one of us testing positive and not being allowed back in the country…..or our flight just being cancelled because of lack of crew to fly/serve the airline?…..Strange times indeed.

• Like 1

Patrick

mini.gif

29 minutes ago, Phantom88 said:

I totally agree…My Wife and I recently cancelled  a trip to Mexico…not because We’re afraid of getting sick(we decided to drive to Florida instead😁)but because we are afraid of one of us testing positive and not being allowed back in the country…..or our flight just being cancelled because of lack of crew to fly/serve the airline?…..Strange times indeed.

Smart move!

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I installed the new Pitool V274 Beta as suggested. Mostly for testing the new Gemini hand tracker.

Not talking about hand tracking here. But it feels like 274 is giving a worse performance than 273. I am constantly switching betwen 273 and 274. And I feel expecially on MP servers the performance drops and stutters are noticably worse using 274.

Does someone experience the same issues?!

2 hours ago, darkman222 said:

I installed the new Pitool V274 Beta as suggested. Mostly for testing the new Gemini hand tracker.

Not talking about hand tracking here. But it feels like 274 is giving a worse performance than 273. I am constantly switching betwen 273 and 274. And I feel expecially on MP servers the performance drops and stutters are noticably worse using 274.

Does someone experience the same issues?!

Darkman,

that is the reason why I backdated to 271 again! In conjunction with the 497.29 driver it gives me by far the best results. Especially in MP.
I experienced that the Nvidia drivers have a great impact on the performance in relation to the PiTool version. Backdating the Nvidia drivers could also make a difference. In accordance with your system specs it's trial and error.

Cheers

My System: Full Scale Huey SimPit

-Pit Computer: i7-12700K | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS Pro | 64GB DDR5 RAM | Nvidia RTX3090FE | Kingston KC3000 NVme

- All day use: i7-4790K | 32GB DDR4 RAM | ASRock Z97 Killer | GeForce RTX 2080 Ti AMP! | Oculus Rift | Pimax8KX | Sensoryx VRFree Gloves | X-TAL VR

Wow. Back to 271 ? I did not expect performance impacts on MP gaming in particular. But it seems so. I'll give it a try reverting back to such an old version. Thanks for the heads up.

EDIT: Went back to 272. I feel that it improved performance quite a bit. I also tried 271. But I think that was before the 8kx was out, so it does not recognize it.

Edited by darkman222

• 2 weeks later...

I am going to pull the trigger on an 8KX this spring. Is it worth getting the eye-tracking module? Does that do anything for DCS in particular?

ETA: if it's relevant, I use SteamVR.

Edited by KWard
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KWard said:

I am going to pull the trigger on an 8KX this spring. Is it worth getting the eye-tracking module? Does that do anything for DCS in particular?

ETA: if it's relevant, I use SteamVR.

I’ve got an 8kx and the eye tracking module. Never installed it though. Installation seemed like a hassle and the pro’s seemed so so. There is a guy who did some firmware trickery on the eye tracker so now it tracks at a higher frequency. If you go on the pimax forums and ask there I believe you might get some useful answers if you don’t get any on this forum.

edit: https://community.openmr.ai/t/usb-3-0-eye-tracking-module-setup/30514/353

Edited by Vitallini
  • Thanks 1

Hmmm... based on that thread it sounds like there's at least a chance it'll give me some performance gain. Unlike most of the people in that thread, my current experience of DCS is GPU-bottlenecked. My CPU is an i9-9900KF overclocked to 5.0Ghz, and it's usually running at ~35% according to fpsVR, while my GPU, a 2080 Super, is always maxed out. I've tried overclocking the GPU using 2 different programs, and didn't see any performance gains. And I expect switching from my current Index to an 8KX is only going to make that worse.

Upgrading the graphics card isn't an option. AFAICT I wouldn't be able to get a faster card without also upgrading my motherboard and CPU, thanks to the change from PCIe 3.0 to 4.0. I can just barely afford the Pimax, I can't afford that. So I need to get the best performance I can out of the current card, hence my interest in the eye-tracking module.

23 hours ago, KWard said:

Upgrading the graphics card isn't an option. AFAICT I wouldn't be able to get a faster card without also upgrading my motherboard and CPU, thanks to the change from PCIe 3.0 to 4.0. I can just barely afford the Pimax, I can't afford that. So I need to get the best performance I can out of the current card, hence my interest in the eye-tracking module.

This is BS. PCIe has nothing to do with upgrading your graphic card as long as you're using x16 slot.

3 hours ago, Jw_23 said:

This is BS. PCIe has nothing to do with upgrading your graphic card as long as you're using x16 slot.

Maybe I've got it wrong, but my understanding is that a 4.0 card in a 3.0 slot would be bottlenecked by the 3.0 architecture's slower maximum speed. It would work, in the sense that the PC would still boot up, but there wouldn't be any improvement in performance.

PCIe 4.0 is backward compatible. It's also forward compatible. So, you can insert PCIe 4.0 expansion cards into PCIe 3.0 slots, but your data transfer rate will be limited by the slower speeds of PCIe 3.0.
https://www.trentonsystems.com/blog/pcie-gen-4-reference-guide

If I've got that wrong, yay, because that makes upgrading cheaper. Although I kinda wanna find the money somehow to do this upgrade anyway, because the motherboard I've found looks freakin rad.

Edited by KWard

12 hours ago, KWard said:

Maybe I've got it wrong, but my understanding is that a 4.0 card in a 3.0 slot would be bottlenecked by the 3.0 architecture's slower maximum speed. It would work, in the sense that the PC would still boot up, but there wouldn't be any improvement in performance.

If I've got that wrong, yay, because that makes upgrading cheaper. Although I kinda wanna find the money somehow to do this upgrade anyway, because the motherboard I've found looks freakin rad.

There will be no bottleneck. Maybe in 4k you will loose 0.5% FPS (PCIe 3.0 vs 4.0) on 3090. Buy better card and don't waste money on new VR or motherboard. Better GPU will give you huge boost of FPS not other things.

Even if you're right, I don't want to miss out on Pimax's trade-in offer, which means I need to buy the 8KX this year. Also, while my current fps isn't great, I can live with it, but the scuba-mask FoV frustrates me every time I wipe out my rudder and elevators.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KWard said:

Even if you're right, I don't want to miss out on Pimax's trade-in offer, which means I need to buy the 8KX this year. Also, while my current fps isn't great, I can live with it, but the scuba-mask FoV frustrates me every time I wipe out my rudder and elevators.

I am right, but money is yours and you will have to live with your choices. Hope you will be happy with it 😉