DCS and Pimax

Wags

Am 19.7.2021 um 01:50 schrieb darkman222:

@FoxTwoBut if your system runs with 40 fps only you would see awful stuttering. Its unplayable for me if the pimax cant reach the target frame rate which is 60 fps @ 60Hz or 75 fps @ 75 Hz. This is why I appreciate 60 Hz mode so much. 15 fps less is not much, but the playback is smooth because both LCD panels are in sync.

@melchiondaIt does not make a difference for me if I play at 60 fps or 75fps. It wont make a difference in DCS anyway. Maybe a little for guns only dogfighting where you will have benefits of the higher frame rate. It will make a huge difference for first person shooters. But not 15 fps though. Playing a shooter in 60 fps or 120 fps that will make a difference. But 120 fps is unreachable with DCS and the Pimax 8Kx.

It only makes a difference if you can see the refresh rate in your peripheral vision. For example when the image is very bright. I can see the image refreshing. Thats why I was in contact with pimax support. The new firmware did not fix it for me, but it got a lot better.

Hello everyone,

I have to confirm darkman222's statements. Tried the Pimax 8KX at 60Hz and I have no stuttering. All settings are almost on high in DCS.

My configuration is: AMD Ryzen 9 5900, 32GB RAM 3200MHz, Nvidia RTX 3090 and DCS is on an SSD. Fly on any map even in MP at 60fps with no issues. No need to turn on Smart Smoothing either. Thanks @darkman222.

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys and Pimax owners,

I am about to get myself a Pimax 8KX, after reading a lot and watching DCS videos. Have one question though. 

Can I work with just one Base Station to have good and flawless tracking or do I absolutely need two base stations?

An answer would be much appreciated.

• Like 1

Asus TUF Gaming Z690 Plus Wifi D4 ** Intel i9-12900K ** RTX3090 Gigabyte Gaming OC ** 64 GB DDR4-3600 G.Skill Ripjaws ** Samsung 980 Pro M.2 ** Windows 11

Thanks for the answer! Is there a preferred place to position just one base station for good tracking or doesn't it matter at all?

Edit: And I just use the Pimax for DCS

Edited by Pixar
Additional Info

Asus TUF Gaming Z690 Plus Wifi D4 ** Intel i9-12900K ** RTX3090 Gigabyte Gaming OC ** 64 GB DDR4-3600 G.Skill Ripjaws ** Samsung 980 Pro M.2 ** Windows 11

En 1/2/2022 a las 0:32, CpAleks dijo:

Hello everyone,

I have to confirm darkman222's statements. Tried the Pimax 8KX at 60Hz and I have no stuttering. All settings are almost on high in DCS.

My configuration is: AMD Ryzen 9 5900, 32GB RAM 3200MHz, Nvidia RTX 3090 and DCS is on an SSD. Fly on any map even in MP at 60fps with no issues. No need to turn on Smart Smoothing either. Thanks @darkman222.

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

I can confirm the same, with slightly different settings. 

Why do you set vsync? It makes sense on 2D monitors, but I have read that on VR not.

Edited by Nahemoth
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Is anyone having issues with fixed foveated rendering taking up a bunch of CPU usage. 

I got a 3090 and enabled fixed foveated which works really well at lowering the GPU usage. The only downside is it causes really high CPU usage which unfortunately makes it unplayable when AI are involved or your on the ground. 

I'm curious as to why fixed foveated rendering would could this much CPU strain. 

En 11/3/2022 a las 22:40, A Hamburgler dijo:

Is anyone having issues with fixed foveated rendering taking up a bunch of CPU usage. 

I got a 3090 and enabled fixed foveated which works really well at lowering the GPU usage. The only downside is it causes really high CPU usage which unfortunately makes it unplayable when AI are involved or your on the ground. 

I'm curious as to why fixed foveated rendering would could this much CPU strain. 

In my case I don't use foveated feature, but it is supposed to enhance the performance...

So... I took a break from DCS due to RL stuff to take care off. Today I went back to setting up my rig, connected the 8KX to my PC, launched SteamVR and DCS. While still in the menus everything is smooth. Once I get into the plane I get a serious stutter when moving my head. PiTool and Firmware are updated to the latest versions, SteamVR as well (and drivers as well). Fiddled with Smart Smoothing alternating in PiTool and SteamVR - did not really improve. In addition there are short black frames (like missing frames).

So, here's my heartfelt sigh since I'm now compelled to check every screw and bolt. The setup has not changed except Windows was upgraded to W11 . Anyone with a guess where to start here? I suspect that W11 has some hidden quirks to cause this. Thanks in advance!

Edited by BravoAlpha

Cheers,

Ben

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

DCS World beta (Steam) - i9 9900K @ 4.8 GHz - RTX 3090 - 64 GB RAM @ 3200 MHz - discrete 500 GB m2 SSD - Pimax 8KX w/ handtracking enabled -  Warthog Hotas - Windows 11

16 hours ago, BravoAlpha said:

So... I took a break from DCS due to RL stuff to take care off. Today I went back to setting up my rig, connected the 8KX to my PC, launched SteamVR and DCS. While still in the menus everything is smooth. Once I get into the plane I get a serious stutter when moving my head. PiTool and Firmware are updated to the latest versions, SteamVR as well (and drivers as well). Fiddled with Smart Smoothing alternating in PiTool and SteamVR - did not really improve. In addition there are short black frames (like missing frames).

So, here's my heartfelt sigh since I'm now compelled to check every screw and bolt. The setup has not changed except Windows was upgraded to W11 . Anyone with a guess where to start here? I suspect that W11 has some hidden quirks to cause this. Thanks in advance!

Try turning off HAGS in Windows 11...ck this thread out...

**also turn on parallel projections in Pitool to see if that helps

Edited by Phantom88
new info
  • Thanks 1

Patrick

mini.gif

On 3/16/2022 at 12:21 AM, Phantom88 said:

Try turning off HAGS in Windows 11...ck this thread out...

**also turn on parallel projections in Pitool to see if that helps

You Sir really made my day, thank you very much!! Turning off HAGS really solved it, it now runs buttery smooth. This should be made a sticky in the FAQs concerning performance optimization. Why is it that every time Microsoft introduces game modes it in fact sabotages your setup... - phew, really am relieved that there's no bigger technical issue here.

• Like 1

Cheers,

Ben

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

DCS World beta (Steam) - i9 9900K @ 4.8 GHz - RTX 3090 - 64 GB RAM @ 3200 MHz - discrete 500 GB m2 SSD - Pimax 8KX w/ handtracking enabled -  Warthog Hotas - Windows 11

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi

I have problems to get the openxt toolkit "meny" to open/overlay in DCS VR.  Can somebody propose some new things for me to try ?  (it works in MSFS2020)

Configuration : Amd 5900X, 64GB, GTX3080, Pimax 8k-x, Windows11, DCS-openbeta-latest, openxt toolkit latest, latest nvidia drivers, steamVR and Pitool. 
Note : Woth mention is that I also have an oculus quest2, but removed all references and programs for oculus in favor to Pimax 

I have tried to

1. Re mapped openXR toolkit meny buttons, (cntl+left,right,dow:: cntl+alt+left+right+down, cntl+f1,f2,f3) - But in FS2020 everything works Fine!
2. Re installed DCS, and removed all save folders, manually
3. Re installed, Cleaned DCS using "DCS Updater Tool"
4. Re installed SteamVR et
5. Installed OpenXR for Windows Mixed reality, did not work either. but also made FS2020 NOT to work, so uninstalled "OpenXR for Mixed Reality".
6. Reinstalled OpenXR toolkit, a number of times
7. Have set steamVR as default openXR driver. 

Any good suggestions ?

Lol love that Pimax math. I wish my bank account worked off the same mathematics.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I want to get the latest opinions on the 8Kx and DCS, I have a G2(and im quite happy with it)But the PIMAX FOV has always been something I would like/love, but the costs until recently were more than I was willing to bear,Now that the 8kx is dropping in price Im once again wondering/wanting ,My question is for all the DCS/8Kx users is about clarity(I dont have a problem dialing it in)but Im concerned that once dialed in will I be able to read gauges without leaning or zooming in,Im well aware this is and old question (that has been asked and answered ad nauseum)but Id like to hear from current users since the firmware and drivers have had time to mature and also the reliability of the hardware and manufacturing quality have also had time to work the kinks out................any up to date opinions are greatly appreciated

Edited by SkipCarey
clarity

13 hours ago, SkipCarey said:

I want to get the latest opinions on the 8Kx and DCS, I have a G2(and im quite happy with it)But the PIMAX FOV has always been something I would like/love, but the costs until recently were more than I was willing to bear,Now that the 8kx is dropping in price Im once again wondering/wanting ,My question is for all the DCS/8Kx users is about clarity(I dont have a problem dialing it in)but Im concerned that once dialed in will I be able to read gauges without leaning or zooming in,Im well aware this is and old question (that has been asked and answered ad nauseum)but Id like to hear from current users since the firmware and drivers have had time to mature and also the reliability of the hardware and manufacturing quality have also had time to work the kinks out................any up to date opinions are greatly appreciated

I have been a VR enthusiast for a while - starting with the Oculus DK2. I currently own the Oculus Quest 2, Pimax 8K and Reverb G2.

Re: clarity, the G2 is hands down the winner. The Pimax is comparable to the Quest 2 - it's sharp, but it has a level of fuzziness compared to the G2. G2 is very sharp in the center spot and I can read MFD no problem. I have a lot more to say re: the rest of the pimax vs G2 but overall I've stuck to the Reverb G2 and probably going to sell the 8K

Edited by crispy12
  • Like 1

Just to be clear your referring to the 8Kx correct?

6 hours ago, crispy12 said:

I have been a VR enthusiast for a while - starting with the Oculus DK2. I currently own the Oculus Quest 2, Pimax 8K and Reverb G2.

Re: clarity, the G2 is hands down the winner. The Pimax is comparable to the Quest 2 - it's sharp, but it has a level of fuzziness compared to the G2. G2 is very sharp in the center spot and I can read MFD no problem. I have a lot more to say re: the rest of the pimax vs G2 but overall I've stuck to the Reverb G2 and probably going to sell the 8K

I would have to agree with crispy12 concerning clarity,I’m sure there are better HMD’s on the market that do a better job than the 8kx as it’s a bit dated now in the world of VR.

Although I think it is a great compromise for Sharpness/FOV,In The Hornet and most comparable aircraft The HUD/MFD’s are perfectly clear without zooming or straining your eyes.Some of the smaller steam gages can be difficult to read in certain conditions.

But for Me The Wide FOV is a game changer in immersion.I’ve only had a Rift CV1 headset to compare to The Pimax 5k+ and 8kx and it’s like Night/Day difference with the larger FOV,I don’t think I could ever go back to a normal FOV now as it would be like looking through Binoculars.

• Like 3

Patrick

mini.gif

4 hours ago, crispy12 said:

BTW my 3090ti does not seem to work with the Pimax 8KX and Pimax have acknowledged this as an issue
FWIW

😐

Bummer!!! You mean the headset won't power up at all?? Or will not work with a higher refresh rate? Thank You for the info

Patrick

mini.gif