DCS and Pimax

Wags

Oh man, I'm a G2 user and was about to order the 8kx after everything I had read but now crispy12 had to go and say that 😉.  Ultimately, I'm one of those hoping that the 12kx comes out and becomes the easy choice for anyone that can afford it...so if the 8kx is an upgrade from my G2 in the meantime (and you'd think it would be based on the price difference) then with the trade-up program it would be stupid not to buy the 8kx in the meantime.  But now you have me wondering if I will drop $1500 on the 8kx only to decide my G2 is still the one I want to wear for DCS until the 12kx comes out.  Really??

20 hours ago, Spinnaker said:

Oh man, I'm a G2 user and was about to order the 8kx after everything I had read but now crispy12 had to go and say that 😉.  Ultimately, I'm one of those hoping that the 12kx comes out and becomes the easy choice for anyone that can afford it...so if the 8kx is an upgrade from my G2 in the meantime (and you'd think it would be based on the price difference) then with the trade-up program it would be stupid not to buy the 8kx in the meantime.  But now you have me wondering if I will drop $1500 on the 8kx only to decide my G2 is still the one I want to wear for DCS until the 12kx comes out.  Really??

Have a look at this video comparing clarity of a few headsets,This is from someone who is unbiased and has no link with Pimax.

Also....You do not have to buy the 8kx from Pimax to enter the 12kQ trade in program.You can buy from anywhere as long as it's not above Pimax MSRP and You can get a legit receipt.I've seen The 8kx on Amason for as low as $879.

Patrick

mini.gif

He seems to be very impressed with the 8KX now he has it dialed in. As a vive user the quality of the image 8KX must be far clearer and not feeling I'm  looking through a pair of diving goggles would be a game changer, for me at least. So I've placed an order and should be with me next week 🙂

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

HTC Vive

Windows 10 Maximus VIII Hero i7-6700k CPU @ 4.2GHz 16GB Nvida GeForce GTX 1080. Ram Duel SSD's

On 4/29/2022 at 3:14 AM, Phantom88 said:

😐

Bummer!!! You mean the headset won't power up at all?? Or will not work with a higher refresh rate? Thank You for the info

The GPU does not detect the headset

On 4/30/2022 at 5:28 AM, Spinnaker said:

It does not detect the headset. I'm sure it will be an awesome experience but the tinkering aspect is quite frustrating. G2 also currently runs extremely well and I'm pleased

On 4/30/2022 at 5:28 AM, Spinnaker said:

I've seen all the hype by Steve Walton and the army of Youtube influencers. It's quite hard to get an objective opinion on an item unless I've tried it myself - at least that's the conclusion I've come to. The set up process, the quality of the hardware, the efficiency and power of software really shows only when you've had spent some time with it. 

As I am an avid VR enthusiast, I've decided that I would try out all of these headsets myself to give them the best chance. And for now I've found that the Pimax has many qualities that are really troublesome. The set up of the base stations is particularly tedious, albiet a one time process. The PiTool software and manual tinkering with firmware files. The 8KX seals you off from the rest of the world - a good feature for most. But the sound and light blocking is so good but i can't hear my wife screaming at me so that's a negative for me. Haha

The lack of center clarity on the 8KX pushed me back towards the G2. I love my G2 now especially with the OpenXR updates

If i had to summarise - the G2 would be the headset to recommend for most , but the Pimax for a select few who can appreciate such features

Edited by crispy12
  • Like 1

I have G2 and 8KX, and fly the latter near exclusively. For me 3090 Ti works fine with it, and can actually use full FOV with it.

G2 clarity is obviously better in center, but having the FOV of binoculars is really hard

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Rockeyes said:

He seems to be very impressed with the 8KX now he has it dialed in. As a vive user the quality of the image 8KX must be far clearer and not feeling I'm  looking through a pair of diving goggles would be a game changer, for me at least. So I've placed an order and should be with me next week 🙂

I have not heard of anyone successfully getting OpenXR/Pimax/DCS to work correctly...but maybe I'm Wrong??[again]😅

Patrick

mini.gif

4 hours ago, Phantom88 said:

I have not heard of anyone successfully getting OpenXR/Pimax/DCS to work correctly...but maybe I'm Wrong??[again]😅

Maybe as DCS supports Primax it doesn't need it. Who know's and cares? What ever works for one may not work for someone else 🤣

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

HTC Vive

Windows 10 Maximus VIII Hero i7-6700k CPU @ 4.2GHz 16GB Nvida GeForce GTX 1080. Ram Duel SSD's

22 hours ago, Panny said:

I have G2 and 8KX, and fly the latter near exclusively. For me 3090 Ti works fine with it, and can actually use full FOV with it.

G2 clarity is obviously better in center, but having the FOV of binoculars is really hard

Wish i had your luck

I suspect many of my initial negative impressions were due to having an underpowered system (if you could call 3080 underpowered) so I'm looking forward to trying it again with the 3090ti

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, crispy12 said:

Wish i had your luck

I suspect many of my initial negative impressions were due to having an underpowered system (if you could call 3080 underpowered) so I'm looking forward to trying it again with the 3090ti

The 3080 is a powerful card, but the problem is its lack of VRAM. With fpsVR I've seen DCS use 21GB of VRAM with the 8KX. 

• Like 1

On 5/2/2022 at 9:29 AM, crispy12 said:

Wish i had your luck

My experience of Pimax and DCS is that a little tweaking is a better use of time and money than chasing the absolute greatest hardware. 3080ti and 5800x works very well for me, I use VRperf toolkit at 90% and 10% sharpening, FFR, 100% steamvr resolution, kegetsys vr shader mod, high textures, flat shadows, no civ traffic, I get around 70fps single player totally smooth. Multiplayer server I get dips to 45 still playable. May upgrade to the 5800x3d should help with that.

We are pretty close to the next generation of graphics cards will be pushing double the performance. Not sure I’d be dumping $2k into a 10% faster card. That said my 3080ti is overclocked and gets similar benchmarks to the 3090ti. Only real difference is the vram and I’m not convinced that is important at normal settings.

Edited by ackattacker
  • Like 3

Ryzen 7800x3d, 64gb, MSI RTX4090 Suprim , Sidewinder FFB with F16 grip, TM Warthog Throttle, MFG crosswind pedals. Pimax Crystal

28 minutes ago, ackattacker said:

My experience of Pimax and DCS is that a little tweaking is a better use of time and money than chasing the absolute greatest hardware. 3080ti and 5800x works very well for me, I use VRperf toolkit at 90% and 10% sharpening, FFR, 100% steamvr resolution, kegetsys vr shader mod, high textures, flat shadows, no civ traffic, I get around 70fps single player totally smooth. Multiplayer server I get dips to 45 still playable. May upgrade to the 5800x3d should help with that.

We are pretty close to the next generation of graphics cards will be pushing double the performance. Not sure I’d be dumping $2k into a 10% faster card. That said my 3080ti is overclocked and gets similar benchmarks to the 3090ti. Only real difference is the vram and I’m not convinced that is important at normal settings.

Oh I'm no newbie to tweaking, in fact i am quite comfortable with it. But I am quite realistic with my expectations from my hardware. I got quite decent results from the 3080 but it's a whole nother level with the 24gb of VRAM from the 3090ti. I can have great graphics AND great FPS now too.

I run at 60 Hz without smart smoothing (8KX and 3090 card) and it goes very smooth, but recently I started a new campaign which uses the Syria map, and the performance dropped! 

Maybe I need an alternative setup that uses smart smoothing for such situations.

3 hours ago, Nahemoth said:

Maybe I need an alternative setup that uses smart smoothing for such situations.

I use a 5k Super and get very stable 90 FPS in SP, and also in MP unless flying over dense city but even then, the drop is around 80 FPS which is not bad at all.  The 5k Super has 90hz as the lowest refresh rate.  When using reprojection, I get ghosting that is not acceptable to me.  Fortunately, I can achieve 90 FPS in most of scenarios and it is butter smooth, thanks to my 12th gen i7 and 6900XT.

I would like to improve resolution and I am considering going for the 8kX.  I am not sure if it can keep up 60 FPS and avoid using reprojection.  How is the ghosting when reprojection is enabled?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i9-13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB, ADDLINK S72 2TB, TM WARTHOG COMBO + PENDULAR RUDDER PEDALS, PIMAX 8K X, Sony 5.1 Spks+SubW | DCS OB, A-10C_II, AH-64D, F-14/16/18, F-86F, AV-8B, M-2000C, SA342, Huey, Spitfire, FC3.

1 hour ago, WipeUout said:

I use a 5k Super and get very stable 90 FPS in SP, and also in MP unless flying over dense city but even then, the drop is around 80 FPS which is not bad at all.  The 5k Super has 90hz as the lowest refresh rate.  When using reprojection, I get ghosting that is not acceptable to me.  Fortunately, I can achieve 90 FPS in most of scenarios and it is butter smooth, thanks to my 12th gen i7 and 6900XT.

I would like to improve resolution and I am considering going for the 8kX.  I am not sure if it can keep up 60 FPS and avoid using reprojection.  How is the ghosting when reprojection is enabled?

Keep in mind if you order an 8kx from Pimax right now it is locked to 90hz and also doesn’t work with your AMD card. Supposedly they are working on fixing that.

if you have an older 8kx that works at 60hz you should be able to achieve that relatively easily with a little tweaking.

I typically run around 70fps with my preferred settings. Obviously this is not ideal with a 90hz panel and you get uneven frame times. But I prefer that to 45fps reprojection. Everyone is different.

Edited by ackattacker
  • Like 1

Ryzen 7800x3d, 64gb, MSI RTX4090 Suprim , Sidewinder FFB with F16 grip, TM Warthog Throttle, MFG crosswind pedals. Pimax Crystal

The newer 8KXs are locked to 90 Hz? Thats really bad for DCS players because you will never achieve 90 fps and the image will stutter like hell. Not really sure if you can get a smooth experience with 45 hz and motionsmoothing which gives ghost images for fast moving objects. For example when dogfighting

3 hours ago, Nahemoth said:

Really bad news about the 90 Hz lock, I'm rejecting any firmware upgrade, just in case...

It’s not an issue with older Pimax units. The issue is the new ones use a different hardware chip internally and a totally different firmware. You can read about it on the Pimax Reddit, pinned post at the top. If you have a firmware ends in .2001 you have the new one. If you hav anything else you have the old one. 

Again, Pimax claims they are working on getting the new one working with AMD and other refresh rates. Right now if you have an AMD card and want a new 8kx your best bet is to contact them directly and see if they will sell you an old one.

• Thanks 1

**New Trade In Update**

The Pimax REALITY 12K QLED Trade-in Program Update Bulletin

POSTED ON 2022年MAY月10日 BY PIMAXVR
pimax-reality-12k-qled-8.jpg?fit=1480%2C

Since our announcement for the new Pimax Reality 12K QLED we are receiving many requests about the upcoming Pimax headset trade-in program and the policies that we will use. First, we are grateful and excited there is so much interest in this new headset and wish to thank you for your continued support in pushing the VR envelope.

As we move forward with this project we are working hard to collate all the feedback and questions from customers so we could prepare comprehensive solutions and answers for you. As a reference here is an updated version of the official announcement of the Pimax 12K trade-in Program policy.

All PIMAX 5K SUPER OWNERS – We are increasing your trade-in value to $900 USD!

• If the audio strap came pre-installed you must include this in your trade-in.
  • Value cannot be greater than the list price.
  • No accessories can be traded-in.
  • Only 1 headset can be traded per transaction.
  • There is a Limit of 1 12K QLED headset per customer.
  • Pimax Headset Mystery Box products will use your actual purchase price for your Mystery Box for the trade-in program.

Patrick

mini.gif

On 5/8/2022 at 10:14 AM, darkman222 said:

The newer 8KXs are locked to 90 Hz? Thats really bad for DCS players because you will never achieve 90 fps and the image will stutter like hell. Not really sure if you can get a smooth experience with 45 hz and motionsmoothing which gives ghost images for fast moving objects. For example when dogfighting

I've always had a bad experience with motion smoothing but I recently gave it another try after tweaking some more setttings. I turned off HAGS (hardware accelerated gpu scheduling) and set the prerendered frames in the NVidia control panel to 1. 

Using Pimax smart smoothing (45fps) the experience was much better than I remembered. I can still see ghosting if I look for it, for example very low level looking at trees off at 90 degrees zooming past. Otherwise I don't notice it. Prior to changing those settings, smart smoothing was a mess.

Aiming for 45fps I bumped up my graphical settings... I'm now running 1.2 Pixel density and 85% FSR. Turned some other settings (shadows etc) up. Result noticeably crisper. May stick with this for a while. That said, when I was running 70FPS on the 90HZ panel, I could see the micro-stutters but it didn't bother me much. Some people are more sensitive to these things than others.

• Like 1

En 12/5/2022 a las 19:48, ackattacker dijo:

I've always had a bad experience with motion smoothing but I recently gave it another try after tweaking some more setttings. I turned off HAGS (hardware accelerated gpu scheduling) and set the prerendered frames in the NVidia control panel to 1. 

Using Pimax smart smoothing (45fps) the experience was much better than I remembered. I can still see ghosting if I look for it, for example very low level looking at trees off at 90 degrees zooming past. Otherwise I don't notice it. Prior to changing those settings, smart smoothing was a mess.

Aiming for 45fps I bumped up my graphical settings... I'm now running 1.2 Pixel density and 85% FSR. Turned some other settings (shadows etc) up. Result noticeably crisper. May stick with this for a while. That said, when I was running 70FPS on the 90HZ panel, I could see the micro-stutters but it didn't bother me much. Some people are more sensitive to these things than others.

I would like to test smart smoothing for complex missions and scenarios, which are your settings?

• 3 weeks later...

So I’m using darkmans 60hz setting and works great but I have to run my resolution at 50% in steam vr. 

what resolutions are you guys using 60hz in multiplayer using? 

also anyone trying to use ffr getting dcs crash on the loading screen with the aircraft before getting to the menu?