DCS and Pimax

Wags

to summarize, CV1 vs 8k there is no one single issue where CV1 have some sort of advantage. Pimax 8K is more or less better in any single aspect so how someone say it is not better?

CV1 don't have support for SLI/CF VR, 8K will have.

Also CV1 don't have eye tracking support 8K will have.

8K will also have handtracking modul so another plus for 8K.

I hate when people trying to convince others in some issues based on fact they did'n even read nothing about tech specs but trolling a lot.

wormeaten,

But you're basing everything one paper specs and third party reviews. I get that you dislike CV1, but it's certainly not dead. I'm an 8K backer on Kickstarter but I'm going into it knowing that there's a chance the product will not deliver everything it promised. I'm taking a chance. And it's not like Oculus is going to sit tight for the next 18 months. So I think the "RIP CV1" is a bit premature.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Just wow, and my thanks for the vid.

Convinces me. That is utterly awesome. The spec is probably worse than my son's laptop.

Have to say that I don't know how Pimax has done it.

You can't judge it based on looking around the HUD on the ground. You have to judge it while it's in flight. In VR smoothness *in flight* makes all the difference.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I'm curious about the display's refresh rate, afraid of latency, and potential issues between eyetracker and eyeglasses lens. The low resolution of CV1 lets me play with the naked eye.

I'll buy :

МиГ-23МЛД & МЛА МиГ-27К МиГ-25 Mirage III F-4E any IJ plane 1950' Korea Dynamic campaign module

I remember someone here reporting huge blurriness and picture distortion on edges, bursting the 4k Pimax bubble big time. Your video however proves something totally different. Could you share what are the biggest downsides of this headset then?

there were a batch of 4k that had bad lenses with foggy centers. pimax either would replace the headset or send out new lenses. the software and customer support are the bad sides to the headset. if talking hardware the tracking is, get alot of drift and is compairable to my vuzix vr920 from 10 years ago. i can deal with the drifting as most of the time it works but the constant issue with dust on my screen is bad.

wormeaten,

But you're basing everything one paper specs and third party reviews. I get that you dislike CV1, but it's certainly not dead. I'm an 8K backer on Kickstarter but I'm going into it knowing that there's a chance the product will not deliver everything it promised. I'm taking a chance. And it's not like Oculus is going to sit tight for the next 18 months. So I think the "RIP CV1" is a bit premature.

I'm not basing about Rift. I was just desapointed with Oculus policy after Facebook take over. They promice consumer version for 400$ but Zuckerberg double it what was stabing in the back. Second they close it and breaking general progres of VR. That is why I felt betrayed as potential customer.

Everything I was write on this forum and predicting about Rift today is fact and happened 90% as I was writw will be.

Not talking about Pimax which I don't favoring but just traying to tell the true that VR is not starting and end up with CV1 only. HTC Vive is playing much more positive roll in VR world.

Right now in this moment if I'm buying VR will probably buy CV1 because of best value for $ not Pimax4K. But Pimax 4K prove some issues like for example that SDE could be eliminated and could have better PPD for less money.

Why RIP CV1? That is fact too. For first generation VR rift is now best buy option. It is not perfect and have its own good and bad sides just like Pimax 4K and which one you will buy is depend exclusively on subjective personal impression of the potential buyer.

But this realistic pricing coming too late and they didn't do nothing for progress of VR even they have great budget and they control major part of the gamer's VR market. This is prow that Oculus after Facebook takeower is nothing else than just another greedy company which goal is only quick earn on short terms.

This price come too late because second generation is around corner and Pimax shoving they learn from 4K model and eliminated every advantage of CV1 and gain much much more to VR world.

And yes this is based on tech specs and third part reviews and not on my personal believe or impression like it should be that people can get some answers.

8K is completely new experience and in my opinion I'm willing to pay for it offering the future exactly where Rift fail to implement existing technologies which was present even from DK2 days and oculus failed to implement it.

CV1 was little bit outdated even from beginning and after 8K release will be in rang of basic VR no worth of mentioned.

One other fact is they continuing to convince us that we are not ready for eye tracking or SLI in VR.

I'm not basing about Rift. I was just desapointed with Oculus policy after Facebook take over. They promice consumer version for 400$ but Zuckerberg double it what was stabing in the back. Second they close it and breaking general progres of VR. That is why I felt betrayed as potential customer.

So which headset do you have, or have you not yet got one ?

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

They promice consumer version for 400$ but Zuckerberg double it what was stabing in the back. Second they close it and breaking general progres of VR. That is why I felt betrayed as potential customer.

Promises on price before development… LOL

Why I have the F-35 picture in mind ?

What if the price had to be adjusted to face the industrial reality ? or has nothing to do with Facebook which might have used its powers to actually lower it ?

What if the software architecture is closed for performances/reliability reasons ? or due to low technology availability at the time leaving no choice ? Plus the exclusive content is a trait of all pioneering companies for earning the most $$ as possible at start until the rivals wake up. If they don't wake up the de facto standard becomes accepted like windows or steam, so why not to try anyway ?

Come on, the CV1 needed years of development before releasing. Being "outdated" means nothing when the customer's budget is calibrated. Why the nintendo famicom, clearly technologically obsolete in 1982, was still a success for 10 years around the world ? You sound like a young communist yelling at the evil zukerberg, but since the release of the CV1, its relative industrial success, can't you even think of components price drop thanks to the manufacturing process optimizations ? Not to mention the logistics at the release, costing high, and the saturated support due to the early phase of the product. There still was a risk, and maybe it had to be reduced by raising the cost. Anyway when I look at the final product, I can't imagine at all that oculus wanted to sell an half-finished crap for money. Everything in the CV1 means to give the best of it for the customer.

Now that the CV1&Vive proved that VR is viable and set benchmarks, rivals appear, components providers populate their catalogs and offers, investment money is poured. Today's conditions are much better for young pussies like Pimax, but during the CV1's development times, only two companies were able to finish the first wave.

Wait for the final product to become reality. Always look the final product's specifications only, not the promises luring vulnerable consumers before the hard work is ever completed.

I'll buy :

МиГ-23МЛД & МЛА МиГ-27К МиГ-25 Mirage III F-4E any IJ plane 1950' Korea Dynamic campaign module

[…] I felt betrayed as potential customer.

The emphasis is mine

So this is where we stand today ? People feeling betrayed on a product they didn’t even bought ? Just … Wow. Remember that promises only bind those who believe in them.

There are only two types of aircraft, fighters and targets. - Major Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson, USMC

I'm all for new players coming into the market, including Pimax. If anything, the work DCS does to help incorporate the increased capabilities has to benefit all the next gen VR hardware. My only thought is what my new rig will be to support it.

in the mean time, I figure I've got at least another year with my Rift.

Once the next gens, such as the Pimax and others are proven, I'll be on them like stink on .....

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

The reason I have been holding off buying into VR is the low resolution, and not wanting to spend a lot of money on 1st generation VR. I am happy to wait, but I must admit Pimax 8k has peaked my interest.

Looking forward to see how it pans out, and good to see ED taking an interest in it also.

Will you be allright siming in 20 to 30 FPS? ;)

Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X | i7 9700K@5.0GHz | Asus TUF OC RTX 4090 | 32GB DDR4@3200MHz | HP Reverb G2 | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Croswinds

Why do you think it will be low FPS? It's upscaled... it isn't like it is true 8k.

xK1wGft.jpg

i7-9700K @ 5.0 l MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus MB l 32GB DDR4 2400 Ram l Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB M.2 l EVGA 3080 FTW l Win10 Pro l WarBRD/Warthog Hotas l VKB MkIV rudder Pedals l Reverb G2

if the FoV is large enough, eye tracking is pointless and a waste of development time and resources.

• Like 1

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

if the FoV is large enough, eye tracking is pointless and a waste of development time and resources.

good point, didn't consider that.

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Isn't eye tracking more about using more render time (or rather having higher detail) in the area where the eye is focused? That way everything surrounding (your peripheral vision) it doesn't need to be detailed? Or am I misunderstanding the point of eye tracking?

5900X - 32 GB 3600 RAM - 1080TI

My Twitch Channel

~Moo

Isn't eye tracking more about using more render time (or rather having higher detail) in the area where the eye is focused? That way everything surrounding (your peripheral vision) it doesn't need to be detailed? Or am I misunderstanding the point of eye tracking?

Hmmm..... that's what I thought

i7-9700K @ 5.0 l MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus MB l 32GB DDR4 2400 Ram l Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB M.2 l EVGA 3080 FTW l Win10 Pro l WarBRD/Warthog Hotas l VKB MkIV rudder Pedals l Reverb G2

Exactly! The main purpose of eye tracking is to provide a better performance (i.e. in games like DCS).

So, absolutely no waste of time. Only thing is, that eye tracking has to be supported by the software/game as far as I understand it. So it`s very positive that ED is in contact with Pimax.

I7 6700K, Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, EVGA GTX1080Ti SC, 32GB DDR4 @ 3000, Win10 64, BenQ EW3270ZL 2560x1440, VPC WarBRD Base + TM Warthog Grip, TM Warthog Throttle, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals, Oculus Rift S

That is generally the point, yes. As Skate is referring to, the resources to downscale the peripheral could exceed the benefit if you have a high FOV. Your eyes would be constantly moving and the resources to keep up will be high. Or you could leave the FOV intact and let your eyes naturally focus on what you want while blurring out the peripheral as it does in real life.

• Like 1

Win 10 Pro 64Bit | 49" UWHD AOC 5120x1440p | AMD 5900x | 64Gb DDR4 | RX 6900XT