DCS and Pimax

Wags

That is generally the point, yes. As Skate is referring to, the resources to downscale the peripheral could exceed the benefit if you have a high FOV. Your eyes would be constantly moving and the resources to keep up will be high. Or you could leave the FOV intact and let your eyes naturally focus on what you want while blurring out the peripheral as it does in real life.

Now that makes sense ....

i7-9700K @ 5.0 l MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus MB l 32GB DDR4 2400 Ram l Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB M.2 l EVGA 3080 FTW l Win10 Pro l WarBRD/Warthog Hotas l VKB MkIV rudder Pedals l Reverb G2

That is generally the point, yes. As Skate is referring to, the resources to downscale the peripheral could exceed the benefit if you have a high FOV. Your eyes would be constantly moving and the resources to keep up will be high. Or you could leave the FOV intact and let your eyes naturally focus on what you want while blurring out the peripheral as it does in real life.

Anyone know if there are any examples of this actually working in the real world ?

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB

CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Elite.

16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive.

SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.

Windows 10 Professional

Ah, I see now. I have no idea how much resources it takes to track eyes, I know it would have to refresh really damn fast.

5900X - 32 GB 3600 RAM - 1080TI

My Twitch Channel

~Moo

Interesting, had never really considered that. Either way it sounds like things are heading in the right direction in a big way :thumbup: Mid-to-late 2018 could be as much of a game changer for me as mid-to-late 2017 was (that is when I bought my CV1).

Speaking of which, when is the 8K X expected to release if they add the eye tracking and all the other bells and whistles?

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Isn't eye tracking more about using more render time (or rather having higher detail) in the area where the eye is focused? That way everything surrounding (your peripheral vision) it doesn't need to be detailed? Or am I misunderstanding the point of eye tracking?

Nope, you are dead on. And the need for foveated rendering only increases as the resolution increases.

Edited by pegon
added

Intel Core i7­6700K, 32GB DDR4, 512GB PCIe SSD + 2TB HDD, GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Pimax 5k+

if the FoV is large enough, eye tracking is pointless and a waste of development time and resources.

It will considerably reduce the resources required to render 2/4/8K so I'm hopeful we get to it eventually. It's how the human eye works, so why fight mother nature?

The review sounds awesome. I'm hoping to check it out next Friday when it shows up for a tour in New York.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

thank the stars they went with displayport instead of overcranking thru HDMI 1.3

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Pimax is limiting the number of 8K headsets, so if your sitting on the fence you better get in quick!

And supposedly you may be able to upgrade someday to the 8k-X from the 8k with an upgrade kit if that's what your looking for.

i7-9700K @ 5.0 l MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus MB l 32GB DDR4 2400 Ram l Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB M.2 l EVGA 3080 FTW l Win10 Pro l WarBRD/Warthog Hotas l VKB MkIV rudder Pedals l Reverb G2

ill sit on the fence... until i hear members like boxxman derek spears, or wags, or other experienced VR users share their thoughts.

still i am not going to put down on a kickstarter.

i did not contribute to the rift kickstarter, and i dont plan to do it for pimax.

i have my rift, and content for now ;)

find me on steam! username: Hannibal_A101A

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969447179

My biggest worry is performance. 2x 4K viewport, and double the FOV of current headsets. Thats a lot more to render, and we can barely manage today in 1.57. 2.1 being even worse on performance.

So until we have much improved VR performance in DCS, they can bring what ever they want on the market.

Nice to see the VR hardware market whip it up though.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

ill sit on the fence... until i hear members like boxxman derek spears, or wags, or other experienced VR users share their thoughts.

still i am not going to put down on a kickstarter.

i did not contribute to the rift kickstarter, and i dont plan to do it for pimax.

i have my rift, and content for now ;)

Ditto, I want to believe but I've gotta see some reliable reviews (and some fellow DCS'ers confirming it's performance in DCS) before I'd ever consider purchasing or pre-purchasing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Heads up also... they are running out of the 8k headsets, if you want in on the kickstarter you better hurry.

Edit: They just hit 3 mil. Also I was worried about the display port length... but then saw a wireless module will eventually be available, sweet!

Edited by StandingCow

My Twitch Channel

~Moo

Heads up also... they are running out of the 8k headsets, if you want in on the kickstarter you better hurry.

Edit: They just hit 3 mil. Also I was worried about the display port length... but then saw a wireless module will eventually be available, sweet!

61 left of 2500

I think 3 million means free eye tracking :thumbup:

61fce3efd390e412982e146d5bcb6aaf_original.jpg?w=700&fit=max&v=1509190385&auto=format&q=92&

It will considerably reduce the resources required to render 2/4/8K so I'm hopeful we get to it eventually. It's how the human eye works, so why fight mother nature?

The real world is always sharp (at least i believe so) and u just look at a point thats focused and the rest in your peripheral vision is blurred anyway. same would go for the pimax - its fov of is very good so why bother with eyetracking if its harder to do and needs more resources?

why bother with eyetracking if its harder to do and needs more resources?

The idea behind foveated rendering is to only render in full resolution where you are looking and thus reduce the size of the picture that needs to be rendered in full resolution. The idea is that this would require less hardware resources. If they pull it off, that is.

They have time to finish the product these are prototypes ......Lets see what happens ...I'm not pulling out .....total opposite of my weekend dates by the way :D

They bought a PC DESKTOP (much probably a already set one, like Falcon Computers)It doest have a DP port, but it's a 1.2, limited to 75hz (someone must have become deaf after the swearing)Now, they are looking to address this

m giving Pimax the benefit of doubt here.

I believe that, for them, its been a steamroller month. An EVER INCREASING interest, people demoing and new people interested in their products.

Errors happens, as they are trying to keep up with all the influx on "need info" and new questions and wadda wadda (so many already answered in the FAQ).

Give them a little time. The main OBJECTIVE here is to reach prototype v5 and begin Mass production of their CV1.

I was not there ( i wish i could, believe me), but i can bet that happenned like this:

They start demoing the v2

People wow'd !

More people is coming, ever in greater numbers

The stand is way too small for everyone

So many people demoing, the prototype begin to crack (we seen the headstreap glued and taped)

Main problems reports are distortions near the borders, lack of ipd adjustments

V3 is made on China

Everyone is eager to test the v3

It's coming

It finally arrives, but the notebook lacks a DP (how anyone didnt see this!?)

They bought a new laptop (for them, i believe its not that easy, they must transfer funds etc)

The new laptop does have a DP port, but it's a mini dp (someone must have heard quite a lot of swearing for this LOL)

They bought an adapter, but it limits to 75hz - FFS !

Lots of reviewers there, just to test he V3

A new meeting is set

They bought a PC DESKTOP (much probably a already set one, like Falcon Computers)

It doest have a DP port, but it's a 1.2, limited to 75hz (someone must have become deaf after the swearing)

Now, they are looking to address this

f906ee304e03a83c82bb39e1de4e42764b192dac.png

Edited by Hellcat

The real world is always sharp (at least i believe so) and u just look at a point thats focused and the rest in your peripheral vision is blurred anyway. same would go for the pimax - its fov of is very good so why bother with eyetracking if its harder to do and needs more resources?

Everything we look at looks like it's in "HD" But it's no. Once you get out of the sweet spot (small FOV at that), you can't even tell if the person is a woman or a man, for example. Our brain just seamlessly transitions and stitches it together. So, if Foveated view can be achieved, I'm sure it would take a lot less resources. Kind of like DCS Tree/terrain radius knob.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Yea, I am very concerned now... there are conflicting reports of 90hz vs 75hz based on where your screens are manufactured (so luck of the draw?).... if we don't get a clear answer from them by the end of the kickstarted I may just cancel. So far they keep dodging the question.

Basically we are waiting for clarification, hopefully before the kickstarter ends, on if the headset supports displayport 1.4 instead of 1.2. This would mean that for anyone with a GPU older than a 10XX series they would only be able to utilize the displayport 1.2 that is on the GPU. If I am understanding all of this correctly.

Edited by StandingCow

My Twitch Channel

~Moo