DCS and Pimax

Wags

A little update.

I just upgraded from a Pimax 5k Super to an 8K+

Since the price for the 8K+ dropped to 600 ish USD a few weeks ago, my 5K Super now worth 900 USD for the 12.5K trade-in program, and not being sure the 8KX would even work with my RX 6900XT, I pulled the trigger on a 8k+.

The 8K+ does have the same panel resolution of the 8KX but the image is upscaled from 1440 to 2160 pixels.  The resulting image is not as nice as native 8k but the frametime is also significantly less.  A big advantage is the 72hz refresh rate of the 8k+ which provides a lot of room to get more eye candy. 

I used to run my 5K Super at 90hz refresh rate and achieving a solid 90 FPS with low settings but with a lot of shimmering, and without any Anti-Aliasing to keep frametime below 11 ms.  The experience was nice and very smooth but shimmers were sometime very distracting.

Going to the 8K+ solved those issues for me.  I run the 8K+ at 72hz refresh rate with good level of details and MSAA at 4x or 2x in MP.  The difference between a stable 90 FPS and 72 FPS is very difficult to notice unless you roll the aircraft at very high rate.  The improved resolution also made the SDE almost gone, difficult to see most of the time.

I am now enjoying a better image quality, (still) butter smooth rendering and much greater level of details.

Anyone out there with an 8K+ ?

• Like 1

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i9-13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB, ADDLINK S72 2TB, TM WARTHOG COMBO + PENDULAR RUDDER PEDALS, PIMAX 8K X, Sony 5.1 Spks+SubW | DCS OB, A-10C_II, AH-64D, F-14/16/18, F-86F, AV-8B, M-2000C, SA342, Huey, Spitfire, FC3.

On 7/18/2021 at 5:53 AM, darkman222 said:

My specs: RTX 3090 , Ryzen 5 5900x, 32 GB ram.

Forget about anything that makes the game look good. You need performance.

My settings are low for everything. Except cockpit textures.

Anti aliasing and flickering: get the pimax to its native resolution which is 100 % in steam Vr. Get used to flickering shadows and anti aliasing on that setting.

Get fpsVR from steam. Check whats the bottleneck of your system. CPU frame time or GPU. Visual stepping between the frames will go away if you have nothing bottlenecking your system. The "stepping" as you describe is the left and right panel being out of sync because the PC cant deliver frames in time.

Even I cant run it all the time with 75 fps. My CPU cant deliver the frames quick enough to the GPU. Especially on MP servers.

Solution : 60 Hz mode. Its enough for a simulator like DCS, which is not a first person shooter.

60 Hz will lower the demand for your CPU to prepare frames for the GPU.

Set everything to "low"

Check fpsVr again if GPU and CPU graph are displayed in green now: good. Now you can see what settings you can bring higher.

Otherwise, bad luck for you and you need to upgrade your PC. If it cant run smooth with everything "low" and in 60 Hz there is no use in tweaking settings.

This works well for me just with a 3090.

darkman - would you share your dcs graphics settings please  - I.e - screen shot of textures, grass, lod sliders etc? 

On 6/20/2022 at 10:25 AM, darkman222 said:

Has anyone tried to run the pimax via the open XR Toolkit already?

Tried it and it does improve a bit but the cost in image quality was too much for me.  I did not see any advantage from a same details/quality/clarity stand point.  Unless you are not using any other means such as a shader or the latest AMD driver that are now fully D3D11 optimized, you will not see any improvement.  You might get different results with hardware from the green team...

• Like 2

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i9-13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB, ADDLINK S72 2TB, TM WARTHOG COMBO + PENDULAR RUDDER PEDALS, PIMAX 8K X, Sony 5.1 Spks+SubW | DCS OB, A-10C_II, AH-64D, F-14/16/18, F-86F, AV-8B, M-2000C, SA342, Huey, Spitfire, FC3.

On 6/20/2022 at 8:25 AM, darkman222 said:

Has anyone tried to run the pimax via the open XR Toolkit already? I was wondering if it really gives a frame rate boost or if these videos are just click bait , making me mess with my configuration and end up reinstalling everything?!

Yes, when I followed the instructions I noted a 10fps+ on the runway and 20 fps+ at altitude. That was with the Pitool at 1.0 and XR at 100%. Since then I have tinkered and Pitool is now 1.25 and XR at 100% and 20% sharpening.  Some maps give me a solid 75 fps at all altitudes but can fluctuate 68-75 in flight depending on altitude. In MP normally 45-50 fps on the ground and 50-75 fps in flight. All at 75hz. 

Still tinkering but I think I am close to the right balance of fps/image quality. 

I would add post installation images appeared smoother especially in close in dogfights.

Hope this helps. 

Edited by Nuggetz
  • Like 2

Ryzen 5950X, MSI  RTX 3080TI, 1 TB SSD, 64GB 3600 MHZ DDR4 RAM, Pimax Crystal and 8KX KDMAS. WINWING F16EX Throttle: FSSB-R3-MKII ULTRA Base/TMWH Joystick: DCS: F16C

15 hours ago, Nuggetz said:

Yes, when I followed the instructions I noted a 10fps+ on the runway and 20 fps+ at altitude. That was with the Pitool at 1.0 and XR at 100%. Since then I have tinkered and Pitool is now 1.25 and XR at 90% 40% sharpening.  Some maps give me a solid 75 fps but do fluctuate 68-75 in flight. In MP normally 45fps on the ground and 50-58 in flight. All at 75hz. 

Still tinkering but I think I am close to the right balance of fps/image quality. 

I would add post installation images appeared smoother especially in close in dogfights.

Hope this helps. 

yes works for me. 8Kx here. I'm flying with full graphics settings. 

Edited by 71st_Mastiff

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

On 6/22/2022 at 6:17 AM, 71st_Mastiff said:

yes works for me. 8Kx here. I'm flying with full graphics settings.

That's quite a CPU/GPU setup you have there.  Can you share more details?  What kind of FPS you are getting in different scenarios, what is you resolution, any super sampling or upscaling or native res? 

Hey guys, Very new to vr here. I first tried a pimax 5k super which rendered NVGs as just a green layer all over the screens (not realistic but preferable for me for practicality).
I very quickly returned that and got an 8k plus for better clarity but now my nvgs, while rendered more realistically, don't feel like they align with the centre of my pupils. the attached image is looking straight ahead in the cockpit. It makes it very hard to see stuff in the dead centre of the screen/hmd due to small binocular overlap, and I find myself having to look slightly offset to use one eye to see a particular point on the screen. My ipd and other settings all work perfectly for me and this is the only issue i seem to be having atm. Any ideas? If not it'd be great if this could be an adjustable parameter for vr, or at least a pimax checkbox in the settings. Or even a "simplified" all screen rendering like I was getting on the 5k would be preferable. to me

image.jpeg

20220625160534_1.jpg

IMG_20220625_170231.jpg

Edited by BMD

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am a bit at a loss regarding the cross-eyed issue I get with Zoom and Spyglass Zoom when Parallel Projection is disabled. When turning it on, I have no such issue, but it is quite uncomfortable when PP is off and when I am zooming. Reading through the forums, it seems that this issue was fixed by ED a while back, but that does not seem to work for me.

Anyone has a tip to fix it?

Thank you in advance!

vor 5 Stunden schrieb bloop:

Zoom and Spyglass Zoom...

I am not sure for your problem, but first check that you use correct bindings for vr, the "toggle vr zoom / spyglass zoom", under "UI layer".

Second, I have some positional problems if I start game from pitool without steam/steamvr. Without them my position is 1m above. You may check booth ways of starting game, maybe one shows correct.

And on my pimax vr zoom works great.

PS: zoom is working good only if you look far away, in cockpit you will be crosseyed with zoom, that is normal.

Edited by Brzi_Joe

Thank you, I did have a check and I can still see a clear difference is how "cross-eyed" the zooms are depending on whether PP is on or off. And I get this difference both with OpenVR and OpenXR. I will do more digging!

• Like 1

vor 19 Stunden schrieb bloop:

...I can still see a clear difference is how "cross-eyed" the zooms are depending on whether PP is on or off

There is  a steamvr setting for reducing fov per game, or even kind of zoom. But if you have problems even in OpenXR, then I do not know.

If I were you, that issue would made me wipe my windows...

• 1 month later...

quick question - I'd only use the pimax for DCS; is one controller enough for the setup of the headset together with one lighthouse base station? or do I need 2 of each? 

Come fly with us : https://discord.gg/tawdcs  TAW CJTF 13 - EU TZ MilSim Squadron

Ryzen 5 5600X | 32GB DDR4 3733| ASUS Radeon RX 6700 XT  | ASrock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 | HP Reverb G2 | Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle , F16 & F18 grips , TFRP Rudders |  Win 10

MYou need at least one base station and zero controller.

correction: you need zero base station to set up the pimax headset and you can even play dcs without base station but the headtracking won’t be as good (only 3 dof).

Edited by Pyker
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Thanatos31 said:

quick question - I'd only use the pimax for DCS; is one controller enough for the setup of the headset together with one lighthouse base station? or do I need 2 of each?

If you only play DCS, or racing games such as Assetto corsa or F1 2022, then yes only the HMD is required.  

I would suggest to get at least one base station to get the 6 degrees of freedom tracking (lighthouse).  It is sometime very useful to be able to move your head in the cockpit in the XYZ planes.  Without the base station, your head will be fixed in space and you will only be able to swivel (yaw, pitch, rotate) around XYZ axis. 

But soon, you will want to experiment and explore more VR game and 3D shooters are a blast also.  I bought two cheap refurbished HTC controllers on amazon and they work great.   

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Thanatos31 said:

YMMV here.  Speaking from first hand experience, I experienced horrible drifting with just a single base station.  I had to re-center the VR view every 5-10 seconds.  For me, it was unplayable.  A buddy of mine (original Pimax 8K kickstarter backer) told me he had the exact same issue and a second base station solved that problem for him.  I ordered a second base station and the Pimax has been rock solid ever since.  I only use the Pimax for DCS.

I don't use any hand controllers.

Also, if you have any questions on Pimax setup in DCS, this guy's video saved me hours.  I got lucky and used all his settings.  Pimax is smooth.

Edited by Mistermann
  • Like 3

System Specs:

Spoiler

💻Processor:13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K - 🧠RAM: 64GB - 🎥Video Card: NVIDIA RTX 4090 - 🥽 Display: Pimax 8kx VR Headset - 🕹️Accessories:  VKB Gunfighter III MCG Ultimate, Thrustmaster TWCS (modified), Thrustmaster TPR Pedals, Simshaker JetPad, Predator HOTAS Mounts, 3D Printed Flight Button Box 

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod

5 hours ago, Pyker said:

MYou need at least one base station and zero controller.

correction: you need zero base station to set up the pimax headset and you can even play dcs without base station but the headtracking won’t be as good (only 3 dof).

I am only using one.. I have shelves above my desk so it is up high and has a good field of view downward on my headset.  I did have a second one mounted on a tripod behind originally but seemed unnecessary for my desk set up.  I too only use Pimax for DCS

• Like 1

Corsair 5000D Black - i913900KS 24 core 3.2GHz - ASUS Z790 Hero DDR5 - 64GB Dominator DDR5 - iCUE H150i Liquid Cooler - QL iCUE Fans- PNY 24GB RTX4090 - 2TB 990 Pro - 2TB 980 Pro - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS/Throttle and TRP Pedals - Cougars MFD - Total Controls MFBB - TEK AHCP - Trak Racer TR8 Pro cockpit and a frustrating Pimax 8kx Varjo Aero.... "So I commandeered the police car and was giving people rides in it for $80… I don't call it a drinking problem; I call it a 'making to much money' problem"--Jungle Recon

Thank you, everyone that answered! I am actually coming from a reverb G2. And that was an easy plug and play, and had everything I needed included in the package.

It just seems that the pimax is a bit more complex setting up, but I hope that the additional field of view is worth it. I got a decent priced 8K plus the other day, coming in at around €620 including one controller. I just bought one base station for €80, as I definitely need the full six planes of motion. 

• Like 1

Come fly with us : https://discord.gg/tawdcs  TAW CJTF 13 - EU TZ MilSim Squadron

Ryzen 5 5600X | 32GB DDR4 3733| ASUS Radeon RX 6700 XT  | ASrock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 | HP Reverb G2 | Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle , F16 & F18 grips , TFRP Rudders |  Win 10