Sometimes EKRAN fails to run "self test"

Rangoon

I can't find a pattern here yet; it seems random. Sometimes when I load a mission with a ramp start, I turn on batteries, turn on EKRAN, see "EKRAN Failure", press Master Caution twice, but the EKRAN won't run the self test. Further, when this happens, when I run the fire suppression system test, I hear Betty's verbal warnings. Normally you don't hear the warnings, only see the lights. Something is not right here, but I don't know to what extent. Are these the only symptoms of this situation, so...oh well, carry on? Or does this indicate the EKRAN system just isn't working?

And has anyone else noticed this? Anyone else noticed a pattern or way to avoid this from occurring?

I have tried cycling the EKRAN itself, tried cycling electrical power, with and without intercom switch...not sure what else to try. The only thing that fixes it is to reload the mission.

Oh, this is bizarre! I hope this is a workaround and it may help someone else. It appeared mine was stuck to the point I tried restarting Windows but it still wasn't working. I believe the pattern is this:

You have to move a control on your HOTAS before turning on the EKRAN. I tested it again after restarting DCS. If I run the sequence of batteries>EKRAN>master caution per usual, but without moving any controls (specifically in this case it was analog throttles that I tested), EKRAN will not self-test. But if I move a HOTAS control before turning on the EKRAN (doesn't matter if before or after the batteries are turned on), then EKRAN functions normally.

Did you check that both throttles are in down/idle position?

Maybe you use an axis to control the throttles and at start-up, the axis is in the position you leave from the previous flight.

Inviato dal mio SM-G930F utilizzando Tapatalk

Edited by flanker0ne

Did you check that both throttles are in down/idle position?

Maybe you use an axis to control the throttles and at start-up, the axis is in the position you leave from the previous flight.

Good thinking. It's actually kind of the opposite. I have the throttles (discrete L/R analog axes) left in the lower/idle position from the previous shut-down sequence. The sim starts the Black Shark's throttles in the AUTO position, so yes there is a mismatch. I have it selected in the options to sync up the HOTAS with the aircraft's controls, but this doesn't seem to work.

I also tried moving the other analog controls from the HOTAS and they have no impact on the issue. It's only the throttles.

When I tried leaving the throttles in the AUTO position, then launched the mission, I had the same problem. It seems the only way around this for me at the moment (version 1.5.7) is to physically move my throttle controls in some way (which I should do before startup regardless) before turning on the EKRAN. This sequence/workaround is consistent for me now. So if I run through a basic controls check before flipping switches, this issue is moot.

Further, the throttles are a separate device in windows from my main HOTAS (Thrustmaster Warthog running a TARGET script) and my pedals (Crosswinds). This device is a CH throttle quadrant.

I've never seen that before. Have you tried a repair?

No, I haven't. I'll google how to run a repair on DCS and give it a shot.

EDIT: Okay, simple enough...not much different from forcing an update. I ran a repair and there is no change to this behavior.

Edited by Rangoon

I have almost the same setup but combat pro pedals. I do not run the target script and my CH TQ is what I use for the throttles. This is very strange. I don't cold start it like you, I turn a lot of other things on before the Ekran, now I have to go try it your way and see what happens. I'll Edit back with what I find.

EDIT: I tried it 5 different times and I can't get the Ekran Fail. I don't know what's up. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Edited by 20thBG_Blackwolf

BSD Discord , BSD Website

If it doesn't hover, it just sucks and blows

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

I have almost the same setup but combat pro pedals. I do not run the target script and my CH TQ is what I use for the throttles. This is very strange. I don't cold start it like you, I turn a lot of other things on before the Ekran, now I have to go try it your way and see what happens. I'll Edit back with what I find.

EDIT: I tried it 5 different times and I can't get the Ekran Fail. I don't know what's up. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Thanks for taking a look. I think my consistent way to get this problem to occur is to launch DCS, load a ramp-start mission, not touch my throttles, batteries on, EKRAN on, master caution x2 - no self-test.

Once I've played a mission for example and load another mission, then it seems to synchronize the throttle position HOTAS and cockpit on start. But that first time for sure, I can see that the sim has throttle position at auto while my controller position is at idle - that's a guarantee for the problem to occur. Once I move the throttle that first time, it's fine. (sim throttle position matches CTL-ENTER indicator and 3D cockpit throttle position, but doesn't match controller/HOTAS position).

I wonder if it's the Target script, I know the TQ is not under it but maybe it's messing with it. Have you tested it without running target? Other than that, I don't know.

My controls are set to sync at start and they do, if I have throttles at full, that's where they are at mission start. Very strange. If you do figure it out I'd like to know what it was.

BSD Discord , BSD Website

If it doesn't hover, it just sucks and blows

Banner EDForum2020.jpg