Realistic Laser Designators

Immovabledust

I don't know if laser designators are modeled correctly in DCS, due to the fact that a LGB seeks the point that has the strongest energy. So if a LGB is dropped head on with the Laser designator the bomb should hit the designator not the TGT. I have tried this myself but the bomb will hit the target which is incorrect that is why JFOs and JTACs are taught the Laser Safety Cone.

JP3-09Figure_B-2.__Example_of_Safety_Zone_and_Optimal_Attack_Zones.png?revision=2

also is beam divergence modeled into DCS

This is a question - I don't know the answer - but is that if you attack from outside the 60 degree cone the seeker will home on the designator, or just that it might home on the designator, and you really, really don't want it to do that.

Isn't the whole point of a laser that they're coherent and don't spread, so if they're pointed at the target, there's little radiation from the laser visible to the LGB ?

If you're designating on a foggy or dusty day, and you get the beam landing on a part of the target that the seeker can't see, then the designator might be the brightest source, but I'd have thought under normal atmospheric conditions that most of the time if the seeker can see where the beam is hitting the target, the reflection there would be the strongest source ?

There doesn't seem to be a lot of scatter at the pointer end here :

Infrared_laser_illuminator_designator_aimer.gif

Cheers.

If you lase a target (e.g. the left side of a tank), then the laser is not visible from the other side (right side of the tank), because it's obscured by the target itself. This is not the case in DCS afaik.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

think of a flashligh. The farther the light travels the larger the covered area gets but it looses alot of energy. Same thing with laser designators. so say you are lasing a tgt at 5km that is 5 meters tall. but at 5KM the beam covers a 8m radius. so you may point the laser at the tgt and the beam will continue around the tgt going passed it which is called the spill over effect this is an issue and may make the bomb less accurate. and IF a bomb is dropped outside the safety cone yes there is a possibility it will hit the designator. not always 100 percent of the time though. There is a video somewhere that is a recording of a training mission where the Targeting pod is in LSS and the jtac is lasing a target but since they didnt use the safety cone the Targeting pod locks onto the designator. if i find the video i will post it