Cannot Join any Server

flyco

We have just had a new member ask to join our group. Unfortunately on his initial visit to our server, he was unable to get onto either of our servers, or any other server.

On selecting and hitting ‘Join’ he sat at the loading screen for 2 minutes before being disconnected.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what we might try in order to fix this?

Hi all, I am said user..

I've been browsing the forums and tried the following fixes all to no avail...

I've tried adding the autoexec.cfg to the config folder

Tried disabling IPV6 from my router

Tried setting up a network port forward on 10308

Renamed saved games DCS folder and let it create a new one

Running on default settings, low resolution graphics etc

Checked firewall, disabled anti-virus (AVG free)

I tried telnet to the server and get the following output (from a separate Linux laptop - Ubuntu 17.04)

Trying 96.49.78.277...

Connected to 96.49.78.227

Escape character is '^]'

Connection closed by foreign host

I am unable to connect to any server in DCS with 1.5.7 / alpha / beta. Always updated to latest version.

I am able to play other online games on my PC such as iRacing / elite dangerous without issue.

I also have a ps4 and am able to play online without issue on this device.

Any ideas what could be wrong?

PC spec

Windows 10 Home

I7-7700k

16gb ram

Gtx980

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

i7-7700K 4.2 GHz, Gigabyte GTX 980 4Gb, Asus Prime z270k, 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600MHz, Plextor PCIe SSD 256Gb, Samsung EVO 750 SSD 500Gb, 9.5TB SATA incl 4TB Mirrored. Saitek X52-Pro

Additional details..

Server ping is around between 40-150 for the servers I'm trying to connect to.

Internet speeds as reported by http://www.speedtest.net

Ping: 3ms

Down: 25.35 Mbps

Up: 9.37 Mbps

i7-7700K 4.2 GHz, Gigabyte GTX 980 4Gb, Asus Prime z270k, 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600MHz, Plextor PCIe SSD 256Gb, Samsung EVO 750 SSD 500Gb, 9.5TB SATA incl 4TB Mirrored. Saitek X52-Pro

Try not using the 1.5 beta build and use the stable build? It's a guess, but I've seen weird things happen when beta branch client is connecting to stable branch servers.

How long does it take for you to load a single player mission? If it's too long you may be timing out and the server dropping your connection.

Are you running any mods? Integrity check got really strict in the last couple versions of the game. Is the shield red on top of the server list? This is a failed integrity check and it cannot connect to servers with IC enabled.

Thanks for the questions.

Single player usually loads pretty sharpish, around 15-30 seconds, running from an ssd.

I am trying stable /alpha /beta to see if any work, but the main client used is the stable.

I have starways (?) texture mod and smoke effects enabled, but my shield is green and the servers I'm trying to connect to don't have mods disabled.

Thanks for the questions.

Single player usually loads pretty sharpish, around 15-30 seconds, running from an ssd.

I am trying stable /alpha /beta to see if any work, but the main client used is the stable.

I have starways (?) texture mod and smoke effects enabled, but my shield is green and the servers I'm trying to connect to don't have mods disabled.

None of the map texture mods pass IC right now, even if you have the green shield it will still kick you out.

None of the map texture mods pass IC right now, even if you have the green shield it will still kick you out.
Ah, ok, I'll try that tonight then and see what happens. I'll report back here once done.

But not sure if that will do much, as even the Ubuntu box with telnet is force disconnected from the server.

Will let you know.

The texture mod is most likely the culprit. Allowed mods have been reduced to (some) smoke mods, sound mods, cockpit mods (if installed through the save games folder or specific to the current DCS version), kneeboard mods, aircraft skins, and button/keybind mods.

Try removing the mods and see if you're able to connect...hopefully you installed them using JSGME or something similar.

All mods removed and ran a repair dcs to reset all files in case of a lingering install somewhere.

No dice.

Will try a reinstall and see what happens... :'(

Ok, so further despair on my part.

I deactivated all modules, and renamed the existing folders in both the saved games folder, and the program files folder and redownloaded and installed 1.5.7.

Have not activated any modules, no settings updated.

Still unable to log in to a multiplayer server.

Problem is still the same, in that I see the list of hosts ok, then click join server. I see the loading screen for two minutes, at which point I get connection timeout / server ping timeout

As discussed with flyco (OP) during our teamspeak session when trying to connect to their server, he had a second pc giving him visible access to the server. He told me that he could see me connecting, then disconnecting after the timeout. From my perspective, DCS never loads or moves to the briefing / open slot window; I stay on the loading screen.

Any further ideas?

Thanks in advance, really want to start experiencing the multiplayer aspect of this.

Ok, further info...

So I CAN connect to the server "JUST DOGFIGHT JUST DOGFIGHT JUST DOGFIGHT"

But no others...

Help!?!?

Thanks for the suggestion.

JUST DOGFIGHT is on 94.130.23.93:10308

RafAir is on 94.23.28.177:10307

Open conflict is on 70.80.170.229:10308

Disabled windows firewall and avg free antivirus.

Cleared all ports on router, allowing upnp connections.

Only just dogfight is connectable.. :(

I'm going to try using something like wireshark to watch the ports tonight to see if I can figure out what's going on. The fact that I can connect to the just dogfight server means that it is possible, now just need to figure out what's not right with the others...

Wish me luck, I have a feeling this will be a long one...

Hmm, weird. The stage at which the game does not load during connection implies that you're not receiving the mission that the server is running like you're unable to download it to the default folder DCS is trying to. Silly question, but is drive space available on your OS drive? Are there any special permissions/restrictions on your username/saved games/DCS folder like drive space quotas etc?

Thanks, will have a look. I did set up a symlink folder so that config changes were synced across installs, but I figured renaming the folders and reinstalling would have resolved that.

Does anyone know of a way to enable verbose debug logging in dcs so I can see what it thinks is happening?

I fly on the very same server that Dave is trying to connect to and I currently use Starways Black Sea map with no issues. I was on there last night with the rest of the gang. That is until I got shot down.

That points to it NOT being a map texture issue.

Thanks, will have a look. I did set up a symlink folder so that config changes were synced across installs, but I figured renaming the folders and reinstalling would have resolved that.

Does anyone know of a way to enable verbose debug logging in dcs so I can see what it thinks is happening?

C:\Users\<Username>\Saved Games\DCS\Logs should contain what you need with regards to logs.

I may be previously mistaken about the folder in which DCS downloads the server's mission file...trying to find it now, but it eludes me at the moment. If I remember correctly, it is somewhere in the saved games folder within your username folder (It's a temporary file, deleted after DCS closes, if I remember correctly). I can't see why creating SymLinks would break it, but it could be plausible.

Thanks for the input guys.

I've got it working :)

I used wireshark to trace the traffic between the server and my pc for both JUST DOGFIGHT and Open Conflict / RAFAirUK.

I noticed that the UDP packets were not getting a response from OC/RAirUK servers after the initial handshake, however the TCP were getting a full response, in stark contrast to the Just Dogfight server where I was seeing messages coming back.

After playing further with my settings and getting nowhere, I decided to try a VPN.

SUCCESS!!!

Now, to go back to my ISP and ask them why they're blocking certain servers, however I have been flying on Open Conflict for about 20 mins with a VPN without being kicked from the server.

No contact, and half my controls are missing from re-installing DCS, but it's working.

Thanks to everyone who posted for all the support and genuine questions. It made sure that I didn't feel alone with this.

@Flyco, I'll need a week or two to get everything set up again as I like it, and I'll probably move the mappings to DCS instead of the joystick software for the a10, and I'll set up another session.

Ah bummer! At least you found the culprit/solution. Your ISP blocking data was going to be my <throwing hands up in frustration> "Welp, that's all I got" conclusion.

Sometimes it's as easy as talking to an ISP support rep and telling them the issue and it gets fixed within minutes (so I've heard)...you'll need to have it escalated to tier 3 though, I imagine.

Just as a final note for anyone who might be experiencing this in the future...

For the VPN, I found it difficult to find a free service, just to try to see if this was the problem. After some research and reviews from some sources related to security matters, I chose to try AirVPN. They're got a relatively good reputation, and some independant sources claim that their open source VPN software and help desk are quite good / trustworthy. For me, it was the 1€ 3-day package, so I didn't have to sign up for a year and then ask for a refund.

This is only my opinion, and should not be taken as any form of intelligent independant research (I mean, some of it was based of reddit users lol), but 1€ is a hard price to argue for a trial. If I do need to keep using a VPN, they may not be my final choice.

Regards,

David