AV8B Harrier Panels

Brewnix

Just the width and length of the SAAHS panel.   Mine came out as 143 mm at the widest part and 83 mm top to bottom. 

Thank you so much for creating these, really appreciate it. 

Oh btw, the SAAHS panel says YAW on the bottom, middle button, shouldn't that be ROLL? 

15 hours ago, Bbow said:

Just the width and length of the SAAHS panel.   Mine came out as 143 mm at the widest part and 83 mm top to bottom. 

Thank you so much for creating these, really appreciate it. 

Oh btw, the SAAHS panel says YAW on the bottom, middle button, shouldn't that be ROLL? 

Yes good catch. Ya its supposed be "roll".  Funny thing is I have been finding out with Fusion360 is that the sizes have changed in a lot of my drawings. Not sure how it happen. I have been thinking it's when I click on a line accidentally drag them a smidge. Possibly. I built them with the panel guide

https://mycockpit.org/tutorials/Panelbuildingfocussedondimensions.pdf

This is the Link I used to build them. Bottom plate was suppose to be 146.05mm and the top plate 144.45mm. Problem is I have no real world measurement so I made the width as per the guide but had to eyeball the length by measuring the dzus whole size and lettering and adjusting what looked about right. I checked some of my other sketchs I have saved and the measurements are off too. Thanks for using them, open source and change them if you need, if you create better please repost the better file. I am happy to share. And I wanted to spur the creation of AV8B cockpit build. Eh! alittle flawed not to bad to change.   Thanks!

Edited by Brewnix
  • Thanks 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Brewnix & others, can you confirm what the actual width of the UFC shoudl be then? In one post it was correlated with the stby ADI and it came out as 135 mm and then in another post using the DZUS method it came out as 5.75" (146 mm).  Which one is the correct one? 

Disregard the previous. I did some research and the AV8B has the same MFDs as the F18. The OpenHornet guys will have done their research and the width of the MFD is what I used to correlate the width of the UFC. It comes out around 134 mm. 

On 1/10/2021 at 1:45 PM, Bbow said:

Disregard the previous. I did some research and the AV8B has the same MFDs as the F18. The OpenHornet guys will have done their research and the width of the MFD is what I used to correlate the width of the UFC. It comes out around 134 mm. 

Well research is what I need help with. Any Idea on specs please post. I have found nothing to help with measurements. Other then screen shots and such and trying extrapolate off known sizes. Also UFC if it its 134mm that works for me. I actually I came up with 135mm but nothing set in stone. My UFC is just theory phase. 

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Here is what I used. 

The openhornet MFD file, plus there is info online that states the screens are 5x5 inches for the real hornet MFDs. So the openhornet measurements are a little bit smaller than what the real hornet displays are supposed to be. 

Then I loaded the MAIN panel picture (attached) into Fusion 360 and used the MFD width to calibrate the picture size.  This in turn led me to the width of 134 mm for the UFC.  I'm happy with it being off by around 5 mm. It's just for flying in VR, I'm not building a realistic pit. 

The 3D printable UFC that's on another thread is about 134 mm wide as well btw. 

MAIN.png

MFD DIM.pdf

On 1/12/2021 at 6:41 PM, Bbow said:

Here is what I used. 

The openhornet MFD file, plus there is info online that states the screens are 5x5 inches for the real hornet MFDs. So the openhornet measurements are a little bit smaller than what the real hornet displays are supposed to be. 

Then I loaded the MAIN panel picture (attached) into Fusion 360 and used the MFD width to calibrate the picture size.  This in turn led me to the width of 134 mm for the UFC.  I'm happy with it being off by around 5 mm. It's just for flying in VR, I'm not building a realistic pit. 

The 3D printable UFC that's on another thread is about 134 mm wide as well btw. 

MAIN.png

MFD DIM.pdf 623.88 kB · 8 downloads

So I tried this method on a different picture of the front console and came up with a UFC with of 160mm or so, so not sure how reliable it is.

I've heard people say there's Dzus under the UFC but I'm not sure if that means the width is also standard Dzus.

This is the picture I originally used to try and figure out the size of the UFC and other parts on the center consol.

Problem is, if I use the measurements on the hornet MFD on the Harrier MFD here, the UFC comes out at about 160mm in width, which makes it almost a 30mm difference from what others have found out.
Really need someone to get into a real Harrier with a measuring tape 😛

AV8B Center Consol.jpg

I think the difference is probably because in this picture the UFC is shown the way it is in real life, it sticks out and is closer to your face than the main panel with the MFDs. In the AV8B manual I have it is shown without it sticking out and thus a better representation of its dimensions.  

Out of interest, where did you get this picture from? Which manual is it?

• 4 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Bbow said:

The MPCD screens are 5 x 5 inches. You could use that? But the UFC stick out by probably around 4 inches or so, so that may affect any measurements of that. 

Yeah I tried adjusting for that, but that would mean the instrument measurement of 3.25" wouldn't fit.
But then again, not sure the drawings I'm using are actually accurate, so hard to figure out what to trust ^^

Starting to think I may be in over my head here, heh.

I used a UFC width of 131 for my build. This is just the UFC panel without the master caution/warning rows. I used this to calibrate all the other measurements of the main panel. I used to think it made the main panel a bit too narrow but I have just found some real AV8B videos on Youtube and now I'm thinking I wasn't too far off the real thing. That cockpit is not an A10 cadillac roomy style cockpit. 

Hi guys, I have just made the right side console and when I tried to assign all the buttons/switches in DCS I was very disappointed to see how many keybindings are missing for these panels. Basically all you have is the UHF & elec panel (minus the DC test switch).  Have any of you modified the LUA file to be able to assign keybindings to these switches?