Samsung Odyssey, first thoughts

Thick8

I returned the Odyssey and got a rift last night. More SDE but it runs DCS well on my old OCed i7 920 with a 1060 6Gb. Their sub 90FPS tech is far superior to SteamVR's. The lenses are much better on the Rift IMO, almost no God Rays. The clarity is surprisingly good despite the SDE. Text is almost the same, setup sucked, HMD tracking is better from the front but worse at some of the important DCS angles... The hand controllers trade blows, can't turn away but tracks better when in view. Robo Recall is actually lots of fun, wish I tried it with the Odyssey. I'd say I am more satisfied with the Rift, but only because my CPU is old and GPU is weakish.

• Like 1

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I just got my Odyssey headset and it’s pretty cool looking around the virtual house. When I launch DCS I just see it as a window pane in the virtual house. How do I make it full virtual screen where I can look around?

i7-7700k OC'd to 5.0 GHz, ASUS 1080ti OC, 32 GB 3200 MHz G.Skill, Samsung 960 pro M.2, Thrustmaster Warthog, Saitek pedals, Valve Index HMD

I returned the Odyssey and got a rift last night. More SDE but it runs DCS well on my old OCed i7 920 with a 1060 6Gb. Their sub 90FPS tech is far superior to SteamVR's. The lenses are much better on the Rift IMO, almost no God Rays. The clarity is surprisingly good despite the SDE. Text is almost the same, setup sucked, HMD tracking is better from the front but worse at some of the important DCS angles... The hand controllers trade blows, can't turn away but tracks better when in view. Robo Recall is actually lots of fun, wish I tried it with the Odyssey. I'd say I am more satisfied with the Rift, but only because my CPU is old and GPU is weakish.

Well this is a conclusion that the headset odyssey drops in relation to the the oculus. Thank you. :thumbup:

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

Have you enabled "VR" in DCS?

Yes. But still seems to launch the same. I saw some mentions of steam VR... I only have the standalone game and not Steam. Is this something special I have to download and launch it from?

i7-7700k OC'd to 5.0 GHz, ASUS 1080ti OC, 32 GB 3200 MHz G.Skill, Samsung 960 pro M.2, Thrustmaster Warthog, Saitek pedals, Valve Index HMD

Yes. But still seems to launch the same. I saw some mentions of steam VR... I only have the standalone game and not Steam. Is this something special I have to download and launch it from?

Hi Speedy,

Yes, you need to have steam VR and windows mixed reality previewer. Both require Steam. :)

This video will help:

Also, I would suggest always launching everything from your desktop in the VR headset and not your actual monitors.

Edited by walleye62

Awesome, I got it to work! It is very very cool! I have family visiting for the holiday, but I’ll write up my review from someone who hasn’t used VR before. Glad I built a computer in the spring. I have a 7700k CPU, 1080ti vid card, and a M.2 NVME drive. When family leaves I’ll have time to play around with it more (so to speak).

Awesome, I got it to work! It is very very cool! I have family visiting for the holiday, but I’ll write up my review from someone who hasn’t used VR before. Glad I built a computer in the spring. I have a 7700k CPU, 1080ti vid card, and a M.2 NVME drive. When family leaves I’ll have time to play around with it more (so to speak).

that's a nice rig there buddy! enjoy, and we'll be anxious to hear your report. :thumbup:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

TL/DR: Clarity in DCS is about the same. But tracking is worse (but it could be my USB setup). The nod goes to Rift, but Odyssey is a very capable HMD. And I've bet to test with PD set to 1.0.

OK, so the intro screen in Odyssey (Ody) is very cool. And it is very clear. Now, keep in mind that I didn't bother connecting the controllers because I didn't have BT on my PC. And it complained that my USB3 card (recommended for Rift) wasn't optimal.

I flew NTTR A10C Take Off and Normandy A10C CAS Instant machines in both HMDs. Here are my thoughts vis a via Rift. Settings are pretty much what is in the "All Things VR video/Sticky thread"

1) Comfort wise, Rift wins. The Ody is comfortable enough, but it feels bulkier compared to the Rift. Probably due to all the padding that it comes with.

2) Taking it on and off. Ody wins. The screen part rotates away slightly. So it's easier putting it on and off if you wear glasses.

3) Clarity in general. Ody wins. Is it startling better? No. But read on.

4) Setup. Ody wins because there are less things to plug in. But the controllers need BT and check MS site for recommended USB card. It didn't like my Rift recommended USB card.

5) I have small child sized glasses and it fit OK in Ody. The weird thing is that in the home screen, everything looked perfect. But as soon as I fired up DCS, I had doublevision. I tries shoehorning VR-Lens and that allowed me to see OK. Then I also found that if I moved my glasses around, the doublevision went away. Weird thing is, it didn't have in Rift. Go figure.

6) Ody is clearer in MS Intro panel. Compared to Rift's home screen. But in DCS, I don't know that I could tell a difference. I thought it was much clearer than Rift the first time I tried Ody. But then I put Rift on, and it seemed just as clear. I concentrated on looking at the "Jan 11"th date stamped on the frame of the HUD, and the Chaff/Flare counters, as well as the CDU. Both were just as clear and easy to read.

7) But tracking is a different story. My Ody jerked every once in a while. It could be because I didn't setup the controller, if that matters. But even w/o the jerkiness, Rift his much smoother - noticeable - than Ody. I'm not saying Ody's tracking is terrible by any means. But Rift is smoother. And in VR flight, it makes a difference.

8) The one thing I didn't try is setting the PD to 1 in DCS. I mean with the extra resolution of Ody, PD of 1 may be just as good as Rift+PD1.7. I'll see if I get around to testing that. Perhaps PD of 1.7 masked any advantage that Ody had. So stay tuned for that.

In the end, I'll return the Ody. If there are folks on the fence, Rift just dropped the packaged (with two sensors, controllers) to $349 in the US. Ody is $100 or so more.

Edited by hansangb
  • Like 1

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

TL/DR: Clarity in DCS is about the same. But tracking is worse (but it could be my USB setup). The nod goes to Rift, but Odyssey is a very capable HMD. And I've bet to test with PD set to 1.0.

Thanks for taking the time to post your feedback. Now I know I'm not crazy :joystick:. It's great there's more headsets coming out. Really want VR to prosper despite the naysayers.

Thanks for taking the time to post your feedback. Now I know I'm not crazy :joystick:. It's great there's more headsets coming out. Really want VR to prosper despite the naysayers.

Amen...it's the biggest thing that's happened to flight sim'ing as far as I'm concerned. Nothing else even comes close.

• Like 1

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Thanks for the review.

Is the sde still there ? As I was expecting that honestly as I don't see how the distance between the pixels will disappear just with more pixels..

It's unfortunate that after 2 years of oculus there is still nothing really better that worth buying...

Hopefully after the holidays oculus and vive will announce their next gen as it is hard to believe that after the time and they invested they don't have something significantly improved to hit the market.

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks for the review.

Is the sde still there ? As I was expecting that honestly as I don't see how the distance between the pixels will disappear just with more pixels..

It's unfortunate that after 2 years of oculus there is still nothing really better that worth buying...

Hopefully after the holidays oculus and vive will announce their next gen as it is hard to believe that after the time and they invested they don't have something significantly improved to hit the market.

I don't notice it much on the Rift (blame my glasses!) that much. It's even harder on the Odyssey. either way, I have to concentrate to see it.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

Thanks for the review.

The SDE comes mostly from the use of pentile displays instead of RGB. It creates a pattern that is very distracting at lower resolutions. For some reasons the Vive is alot worse than the Rift. Either way, increasing the resolution makes the pentile pattern alot less visible. Samsungs latest flagship phones still use pentile displays, but the resolution is so high that you can't notice it anymore.

The SDE comes mostly from the use of pentile displays instead of RGB. It creates a pattern that is very distracting at lower resolutions. For some reasons the Vive is alot worse than the Rift. Either way, increasing the resolution makes the pentile pattern alot less visible. Samsungs latest flagship phones still use pentile displays, but the resolution is so high that you can't notice it anymore.
Hmm then a question comes to mind why we don't see sde on the old low res screens ? I remember having 640x480 monitor but never noticed such effect. Also I have an old low quality Chinese 22 monitor with 1280x1024 also never noticed such effect. I understand we look trough a lenses at close distance but of it was so related to the lower res shouldn't we notice it on the lower res screen as well ?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hmm then a question comes to mind why we don't see sde on the old low res screens ? I remember having 640x480 monitor but never noticed such effect. Also I have an old low quality Chinese 22 monitor with 1280x1024 also never noticed such effect. I understand we look trough a lenses at close distance but of it was so related to the lower res shouldn't we notice it on the lower res screen as well ?

They were all rgb as far as i can remember(so there are no pentile holes), also when you look at monitor you are viewing it at 10-15 degree angle, and when you stretch it to 100 deg fov, pixels get much more visible (same as looking at monitor from 3cm away)

Sitting in normal position I could read all of my gauges. I have the extra slider on my Warthog throttle set up for zoom, and put it on the center detent for gun runs and spotting. Quite honestly I couldn't tell a difference between the HMD and sitting about 3.5 feet from a 55" 1080p TV. It's that clear.

That is interesting to read, but my standard is the 4K 55" from similar distance that allows to read every label and notch in instruments. Couldn't do that with the FHD.

End thoughts: This may not be "2nd generation" but it is definitely at least "generation 1.5"

Rift and Vive (as all todays ones) are fifth generation already. Not the first ones on market and not the first ideas. This is just now a fifth time (almost fifth decade) the VR is trying to push to the market. And Mixed Reality is still in a fifth generation.

The sixth generation likely has the foveon rendering, eye tracking and even hand tracking all in one.

Microsoft says that there will be OpenVR and SteamVR support coming next month. Will that be good enough to make it work with DCS? That's anybody's guess right now.

That is good to know they are at least adding support. But one of the big problems with Mixed Reality from Microsoft is simply that controllers can't track well outside of the field of view as the HMD cameras are used to track them too. So many games with capability to operate around you is just impossible. This of course doesn't matter much in the DCS as you need to see what you are flipping and pressing (if we just could...) but in general VR gaming, shooting to opposite directions is one of the fun requirements.

So many things getting ready that need to see is the VR on market in next 3-5 years.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Most likely because you're talking about CRT monitors that didn't have pixels.

Hey guys, I have the Odyssey and Steam VR, everything works great except DCS 1.5 (steam). It launches fine, but the view seems distorted or shifted and hurts my eyes.

It's almost like the left screen is too low.. so my eyeballs try to adjust to put the picture together.

DCS 2.0 launches, gets to the menu and has the exact same problem, except it crashes shortly after the menu loads.

Anyone experience this?

I could agree with this as final conclusion about Odyssay and WMR in general.

I will add here some more from DCS player perspective. CV1 is today with bundle price of 400$ maybe best buy option right now. So all this G1 VR head sets are pretty much similar today with minimal differences. So ...

• Vive is most expensive but best tracking solution for room scale gaming.
  • Rift is best performance per $ today after price drop to realistic 400$ for bundle with controlers and two tracking cam. 600$ just for headset was ripping of and that I can't forget to the Oculus.
  • WMR is good, OK, what ever. Point is good tracking, minor tracking problem with controllers tracking but definitely best picture experience as major advantage.
  • Pimax4K is already outdated and probably will not be much upgrade anymore. In time was best buy but with price changes today I don't think so. But Pimax make significant role in progress of VR because they lower the price and prove that SDE could be eliminated. SDE is still advantage to Pimax4K so it is still legitimit choice to those who can't have compromise in SDE.

As DCS player only and if you don't own VR head set this will be today a tough choice. Maybe WMR is best one but not an Odyssay. Despite best display resolution compared to other WMR this difference in resolution could not justified 100$ higher price so some other like Lenovo WMR will be best choice for DCS because of the only advantage in this title as best picture solution what for DCS is major issue here.

All other who already own Vive, CV1 or Pimax4K don't bother switching is not worth it yet. We should wait to see what will bring Pimax8K in next year.

Pimax already change relations in VR world once and this 8K will definitely do it one more time. Just be patient.

• 5 months later...

Hi folks,

I finally got the chance to get the Odyssey, I'm posting here to give detailed feedback about wearign it with glasses, as it was very difficult for me to get info on that.

They fit much better than in the Oculus Rift, putting it on and removing it is a breeze too thanks to the "crown" design.

The Odyssey's space is 140 mm at the widest point without compressing the foam.

The width of my glasses' frame is 135 mm, height 35 mm. I think they are wider than average and yet they fit well.

The lenses didn't touch each other either (they were with the Oculus Rift), but I guess this might depend on each person's morphology.

Funny detail, in the manual they explicitely tell to not wear the HMD while wearing glasses, as doing so "may cause facial injuries". Covering all the bases I guess :D

Hope this is useful.

Cheers,

do you have to have Steam for Odyssey to work with 2.5 since it runs native VR I only have stand alone DCS

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Window 10, i9-9900,2080TI, 32GB ram Puma Pro Flight Trainer, 2 x 1TB WB SSD NVMe HP Reverb