MiG-35 and MiG-29SMT presentation

Alfa

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Renew question: What is this?

8ed8e81c3b520094med.jpg

I could only guess but there could be installed only targeting or recon equipement. It's not very clear how it is installed and whether it could be easily removed. If we could see this we could give more precise guesses:)

And this:

9cfc2fcd35586905med.jpeg

Missile approach warner?

I'm affraid I have to guess again. It looks like some kind of receiver, either IR or radar. I see the ECM system's antennas are still located beneath the rudders on the fins so this could be excluded.

"See, to me that's a stupid instrument. It tells what your angle of attack is. If you don't know you shouldn't be flying." - Chuck Yeager, from the back seat of F-15D at age 89.

=RvE=

Oups, I got busted!:) A assume then these are the radar receivers and the fin installed devices are the ECM emitters?

"See, to me that's a stupid instrument. It tells what your angle of attack is. If you don't know you shouldn't be flying." - Chuck Yeager, from the back seat of F-15D at age 89.

=RvE=

Be suprised if they are IR Missile launch detectors, it's not covering the full hemisphere.

Very impressive jet, does it have a hi bandwidth antijam datalink? It'll be not much better than a 3rd Gen fighter without it.

I could only guess but there could be installed only targeting or recon equipement. It's not very clear how it is installed and whether it could be easily removed. If we could see this we could give more precise guesses:)

I'm affraid I have to guess again. It looks like some kind of receiver, either IR or radar. I see the ECM system's antennas are still located beneath the rudders on the fins so this could be excluded.

Oups, I got busted!:) A assume then these are the radar receivers and the fin installed devices are the ECM emitters?

The wingtip bulges contain the ECM wave guides :)

I don't know what the "bits" below the rudders on the tailfins are for Tito, but I don't think they have anything to do with ECM - reason being that those aren't present on the MiG-29S (9-13 and 9-13S) although these variants have the same Gardeniya-1 FU jamming station as the MiG-29M and MiG-29K.

MiG-29K.jpg

MiG-29K

MiG-29S.jpg

MiG-29S

But as you can see the wingtip devices are there(although looking slightly different) on both :) .

- JJ.

JJ

Meaby this is ECM Pod?

Yes on the MiG-29M airframe(on which the "MiG-35" is built), the entire wingtip ends in a curved "bulge" as seen on the above MiG-29K photo, which contains the ECM - hence the dark(radio transparent) patches front and rear :) .

MiG-35.jpg

But this has been the case all along - the new bit is the small "lump"(by the lamp for the collision lights) with those two "holes".....I don't know what that is for.

- JJ.

JJ

Wing bulges are ECM waveguides as Alfa said, the tail "spikes" are most probably passive radar recievers for onboard Beriosa system.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

Thats a pit mockup. You can see it next to the real thing on the second post above.

My PC specs below:

Wing bulges are ECM waveguides as Alfa said, the tail "spikes" are most probably passive radar recievers for onboard Beriosa system.

Yes I think you got a point there Pilotasso - they could be RWR recievers, but not for the Beryoza(sp?- well SPO-15) ;).....the MiG-29M and MiG-29K variants don't have have that system at all - they have the more advanced "Pastel" system instead :) .

This could actually also explain why those "spikes" are there on the tailfins of the MiG-29M/MiG-35 and MiG-29K, but not on the MiG-29S.....which does retain the Beryoza system :) .

- JJ.

JJ

bleh Im not too much in depth with russian avionics names. :D

My PC specs below:

But this has been the case all along - the new bit is the small "lump"(by the lamp for the collision lights) with those two "holes".....I don't know what that is for.

- JJ.

Could it not be an attachment to mount a wingtip missile rail? I remember seiing a photo of a Mig-29OVT with wingtip missiles.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

That's an interesting idea, the OVT was shown with wingtip missile rails once or twice. However, no similar contraption could be seen on its wingtips when the aircraft visited the ILA exhibition last year. It doesn't seem to look much like an attachment either and a wingtip missile rail would block the ECM emitters anyway. Probably the reason why it is no longer displayed on the MiG-29OVT.

Personally, I'm inclined to believe it is a missile warning system sofar.

Could it not be an attachment to mount a wingtip missile rail? I remember seiing a photo of a Mig-29OVT with wingtip missiles.

Yes that crossed my mind as well, but those holes look very close together for that purpose and the "lump" itself too small to provide proper support for a missile rail......but I don't know.

But at least it is some consolation that the Russian minister of defence apparently didn't seem to know either....judging from this photo:

9cfc2fcd35586905med.jpeg

"What is this for?"

:D

- JJ.

JJ