* DCS: F-14 Development Update! Scan, Lock, Fire! *

Cobra847

why not carry

2x Aim9s

4x Aim7s (2x in the "wings" and 2x on the forward centerline stations)

2x Aim54s (centerline, but on the aft stations)

That wasn't an approved load due to balance issues.

The best you could do is 2 Aim-9, 3 Sparrow (one on each shoulder, one centerline aft) and two Phoenix (forward).

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:megalol:

Hahaaaa! Very good!

(But it will happen.)

With the way some people fight on MP, my strategy initially is going to be

(2-3-2 configuration)

Fire a Phoenix at your target(s) in TWS mode. Accelerate to intercept and follow your shot(s).

By the time you're closing in on Sparrow range, if you've accelerated to the speed right after you've fired, this happens at about the time your opponents have their hands full dealing with the Phoenix gone pitbull. Fire a Sparrow at one target, wait for hit/miss, then defend. Close as much as possible, fire a second Sparrow just out of Sidewinder range. Hopefully you're down to one bogey at this point, and it's down to a 1v1 with your bonus second pair of eyes/AI with second pair of "eyes."

I wonder how well that'll work in MP. Probably not so well against experienced pilots, but if you've got two guys not working together facing you, one of them is going to spaz out while trying to defend, making it a 1v1.

Unless your CO orders you. Capt. Crazy Bob (R.L. Leuschner) made his squadrons regularly do 6-0-2 1000nm missions. He was a huge fan of putting his crew through excercises as close to all out war as he could make them.

By 6-0-2 I'm talking the standard convention of listing 54/7/9

I guess every Air wing had different philosophies, and maybe the Pacific fleet saw things different than the Atlantic fleet. In talking to our crews, they didn't see much of an RoE that would allow them to use the Phoenix as originally intended (shooting down waves of Russian bombers coming over the horizon) and actually valued it much more for its fire-and-forget properties at closer range.

Edited by steven43291

Former USN Avionics Tech

VF-41 86-90, 93-95

VF-101 90-93

Heatblur Tomcat SME

I9-9900K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra | 32GB DDR4 3200 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe | RTX 2070 Super | TM Throttle | VPC Warbird Base TM F-18 Stick

I guess every Air wing had different philosophies, and maybe the Pacific fleet saw things different than the Atlantic fleet. In talking to our crews, they didn't see much of an RoE that would allow them to use the Phoenix as originally intended (shooting down waves of Russian bombers coming over the horizon) and actually valued it much more for its fire-and-forget properties at closer range.

This is what I like to hear - how systems were employed in the real world. I want to experience how things were actually used, as opposed to how we wished they'd been used. Not saying we can't have both, but I'd prefer greater emphasis on real-world implementation.

I have a strong feeling that you would mostly see

4*aim7+4*aim9 or 6*aim7+2*aim9 while flying online.

Aim54 is not something you would shoot at a flighter target. (That is expecting to get shot).and no one will let you shoot down all the tankers and AWACS for the "other team" in TvT.

I don't think so - the AIM-54 is way more lethal against fighters than the AIM-7. Whats amazing is that the Heatblur version has a lower G-limit than the real Phoenix to optimize its performance at range and it still is remarkablely effective. I'm testing it and have been quite impressed. I guess that giant warhead (bigger than that of the SA-6) makes up for the G-limit quite well.

I would take the threat seriously....:D

-Nick

I don't think so - the AIM-54 is way more lethal against fighters than the AIM-7. Whats amazing is that the Heatblur version has a lower G-limit than the real Phoenix to optimize its performance at range and it still is remarkablely effective. I'm testing it and have been quite impressed. I guess that giant warhead (bigger than that of the SA-6) makes up for the G-limit quite well.

-Nick

Awesome. Can't wait to finally get my hands on the Tomcat :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

-Nick

So you're saying that it has a proximity fuze and doesnt have to score a direct hit? :O

-Nick

That just ruined my tactic, because now it's less of a headache inducing decoy for closing on an enemy, and more an actual weapon.

I'll guess that the effective sweet spot against a fighter is going to be 40-50nm range, with say a 50-50 shot being in the same ballpark as an enemy fighter, maybe even a hit (given a load of 2, that's one possible kill, which is extremely helpful in a 1v2 scenario).

If my unscientific thoughts hold up, the F-14 becomes the most dangerous fighter in the game. It's already going to become the AWACS killer for every PVP server. This is even before the advantage given that the F-14 is also the only two-seat fighter around, so at worst (or maybe best, who knows) you have a player and an AI backseater calling out targets when merged. Not only will the F-14 be insanely difficult to handle if it carries even just 2 Phoenix missiles, but it becomes a real handful even alone at all ranges between 100nm and 0nm.

So you're saying that it has a proximity fuze and doesnt have to score a direct hit? :O

From the armaments page of the EE Lightning F3 June 1969: IR homing missile "Red Top"

YHhfchf.jpg

So, proximity fuses have been around in missiles for a while

Sons of Dogs, Come Eat Flesh

Clan Cameron

I'm not totally sure of the mechanism, but watching the missiles in the F6 view I've seen quite few trajectories that look to be a near-miss actually result in a hit. Also, misses were a lot less common than I'm used to in DCS, it is quite an effective A-A weapon against fighters (which is really all I've used it against). :)

-Nick

I'm not totally sure of the mechanism, but watching the missiles in the F6 view I've seen quite few trajectories that look to be a near-miss actually result in a hit. Also, misses were a lot less common than I'm used to in DCS, it is quite an effective A-A weapon against fighters (which is really all I've used it against). :)

-Nick

Cool thanks! :)

I found something but I'm not sure what it is...

It's bullshit from a troll...hopefully YouTube will take it down soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

I found something but I'm not sure what it is...

Hahahaha it made me laugh

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

Looool !!! Remove the troll !

System

Hydro H115i with 8700k @ 4,9 ghz all cores, Asus strix Z370 f, 32gb ddr4 3600Mhz, Asusrog swift 34 gsync ,Vr hp Reverb .Palit gaming pro 2080 ti Thrustmaster Warthog f18grip and th pedal

Steamvr ss 100% and dcs world ss 180%

tomcat eats the viper for breakfast :P

Lange lebe die Tomcat": Long live the Cat!

still waiting for "road to release" post

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5