Smart TV over PC Monitor

Hi I'm debating buying an 32" LED Sony 1920x1080p 60Hz over a dedicated PC monitor. It'll be hooked up to a GTX970 GPU which is currently hooked up to an old but reasonably good Dell U2412M (1920x1200 59Hz). I'm operating within a relatively low budget and wondered whether anyone has experienced any real problems with this type of set up on DCS.

I know an LED TV set will have it's limitations, fps, HDCP1.4 etc but I'm prepared to compromise in favour of a larger widescreen and better immersion in DCS. It's the only sim of any kind I play, so I'd also like to know if DCS can be displayed fairly accurately on the Sony or similar LED set.

Thanks

This should be posted in the Hardware section.

But, FYI, have been running DCS on a TV since the A10C was released. First a 55” Panasonic plasma and now recently a 65” 4K Samsung. I could never go back to a small monitor. I have no complaints, it is pretty awesome. I see no issues with FPS or anything else. I use the game mode on the TV and see no latency issues with any game.

Surely, the “experts” will come along and give you the Pros n Cons shortly.

Edited by MegOhm_SD

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

I could argue about a large screen like 55'' as there would be hard to find a monitor in this size. Otherwise, if it's a 32'' go for a monitor: IPS panels, usually higher resolution, refresh rate, less smudging/ghosting, adaptive sync, much smaller input lag.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

Hi I'm debating buying an 32" LED Sony 1920x1080p 60Hz over a dedicated PC monitor. It'll be hooked up to a GTX970 GPU which is currently hooked up to an old but reasonably good Dell U2412M (1920x1200 59Hz). I'm operating within a relatively low budget and wondered whether anyone has experienced any real problems with this type of set up on DCS.

I know an LED TV set will have it's limitations, fps, HDCP1.4 etc but I'm prepared to compromise in favour of a larger widescreen and better immersion in DCS. It's the only sim of any kind I play, so I'd also like to know if DCS can be displayed fairly accurately on the Sony or similar LED set.

Thanks

Lots of good info here: https://displaylag.com/

My Samsung LCD has been working like a champ as my monitor.

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Many thanks for the responses, however a 32" PC monitor like an Asus or Dell are so much more expensive when compared to a smart TV maybe for obvious reasons. I expect I'm looking for a large monitor at an affordable price and all the decent 32" PC monitors I've researched are pricey to say the least.

I have had a great experience using an old Mitsubishi 46" LCD 1080p TV as a monitor. If I can find a 4K tv I like around 60" on sale for black Friday/xmas, I may be upgrading soon. The TVs that have great specs for PC gaming are as or more expensive than monitors. But I can assure you that my old LCD that was in no way designed for PC gaming is way better than my 20" Samsung 1600x1200 PC monitors. The Visio 60" 1080p that is in the family room and freed up my 46" for gaming even works great. The focus for a 4K TV is making sure it has at least one HDMI port that can support 4K at 60 Hz, preferably with a dedicated gaming mode.

The added benefit is that the monitor is still a TV which can pick up over the air channels, Netflix, blu-ray players, and game consoles as well. Hooked up to a modern sound system... it can rock like no other PC monitor.

But the cons are: no chance of a display port, no freesync or any other anti-tearing support, potentially some issues with fps (generally never more than 60 fps at 4k resolution) and possibly ghosting.

I have oculus rift. I love the immersion, but my 46-inch 1080 with Track-IR generally looks and plays much better for air combat. A 60-inch 4k TV would be even better if a single video card can drive it fast enough with high image quality settings.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You probably will get the best price/size ratio from a TV, but as mentioned there are some cons. However, if you are only using it for flight sims it's not as bad. TVs generally have a little bit of delay due to the fact that they primarily are used for non-interactive content, and post-process the image to make it look better. Things like "dynamic contrast" and especially "120hz motion" or whatever gimmicky name they use. If it only accepts a 60hz signal but interpolates (makes up) extra images to make it smoother, that takes time to compute and hence delays the image you see. Some TVs do have a "game mode" which can lessen that. My old Toshiba has that and there is still a very slight delay, but when using a controller it isn't noticeable.

May I ask why you want a "Smart" TV? If it is hooked up to your computer, it will already be smarter than any smart TV. The only reason to get one is to surf the web or watch streaming services like Netflix without needing a computer. Use the money saved on the "smart" part to get something bigger. If you are sitting 1 meter or more from the screen, you want at least 40 inches. At that size you will start to see the benefit of 4k.

System specs: i7 3820 @4.75Ghz, Asus P9X79LE, EVGA GTX1080SC @2100mhz, 16GB Gskil DDR3 @ 2000mhz, 512GB 960EVO m.2, 2 X 512GB 860EVO SATA3 in RAID0, EVGA Supernova 850W G2, Phantek Entho Luxe White. CPU and GPU custom water-cooled with 420mm rad and lots of Noctua fans.

ASUS PG348Q. VKB Gladiator Pro w/MCG, X-55 throttle and MFG Crosswind.

A TV, as dumb as you can find, will generally be adequate for flight sims. However, when gun combat comes into play you may find that the inherent lag in most TVs is a problem. Just like an FPS, timing can be critical and that lag will come into play.

I, personally, have been quite happy with the 40inch 4k monitor in my sig. It wasn't cheap but it was worth it for the large size and 4k resolution.

YMMV

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Here you go. 42.5 inch, 4K, IPS, 60hz computer monitor. I have it, and enjoy it. If you don't want to take my word for it, Wags bought one too :)

http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-43UD79-B-4k-uhd-led-monitor

| Windows 10 | I7 4790K @ 4.4ghz | Asus PG348Q | Asus Strix 1080TI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2400 DDR3 | Asrock Fatal1ty Z97 | Samsung EVO 850 500GB (x2) | SanDisk 240GB Extreme Pro | Coolermaster Vanguard S 650Watt 80+ | Fractal Design R4 | VirPil T-50 | MFG Crosswind Graphite | KW-908 JetSeat Sim Edition | TrackIR 5 |

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My real issue is cost, I could get a bang up to date smart 32" tv for around £300, great colour picture, wide screen and it doubles as a PC monitor. I sit about 2ft away from my monitor so can't go much bigger than 34". I can see now that I'll experience some real problems with input lag, which in turn will affect AAR, gunnery and possibly any type of precision flying, not to mention the other issues such as ghosting.

I'm going to check the more expensive £400+ wide screen PC monitors, but they also have their fair share of pros/cons. Does a 3440 x 1440 resolution work okay with DCS?

Thank you everyone for your helpful replies.

...Does a 3440 x 1440 resolution work okay with DCS?..

May be tough for 970. I'm running a 1070 in 3440 x 1440 and it's about right.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

I thought choosing a new tv or monitor for my PC was a relatively quick and easy decision, I was so wrong about that. Anyway, I've finally decided to buy a 21:9 IPS 29" wide monitor, which should keep me happy...at least for now... I hope.

Many thanks Firmek

I could argue about a large screen like 55'' as there would be hard to find a monitor in this size. Otherwise, if it's a 32'' go for a monitor: IPS panels, usually higher resolution, refresh rate, less smudging/ghosting, adaptive sync, much smaller input lag.

None of those “ items” you mention are apparant or an issue.

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

I thought choosing a new tv or monitor for my PC was a relatively quick and easy decision, I was so wrong about that. Anyway, I've finally decided to buy a 21:9 IPS 29" wide monitor, which should keep me happy...at least for now... I hope.

Many thanks Firmek

Just a heads up that you may find a 29" ultra-wide a little small due to the "wide" part. I'm not sure about a 29", but a 34" is about the same height as a 27" 16:9.

And 3440X1440 works just fine, but the 970 might have a little difficulty with that many pixels. I had a 970 with a 2560X1080 and that was giving it a workout in 2016.

Either way, my personal opinion is that 21:9 is the ultimate ratio for flight sims. If they made a 50 inch 4K ultra-wide with a 1500R curve it would be the most amazing experience outside of VR. Far better than any multi-monitor setup and less complicated than using an array of projectors.

System specs: i7 3820 @4.75Ghz, Asus P9X79LE, EVGA GTX1080SC @2100mhz, 16GB Gskil DDR3 @ 2000mhz, 512GB 960EVO m.2, 2 X 512GB 860EVO SATA3 in RAID0, EVGA Supernova 850W G2, Phantek Entho Luxe White. CPU and GPU custom water-cooled with 420mm rad and lots of Noctua fans.

None of those “ items” you mention are apparant or an issue.

That is VERY MUCH a matter of opinion. Those are not apparent or an issue to YOU.

For example, I would never buy another monitor under 100hz. I really can't wait for 500hz, not for the FPS but to say goodbye to VSync, GSync and Freesync. But given that so many people just don't know what "good" is, causing it to take more than a decade for the industry to get past the stupid notion that 60hz is good, I don't expect a 500hz OLED monitor until 2050 at best. Heck half the games that come out have 24 or 30fps cut scenes because it's "cinematic"... right.

/rant

Edited by Sideslip

I sit about 2ft away from my monitor so can't go much bigger than 34". I can see now that I'll experience some real problems with input lag, which in turn will affect AAR, gunnery and possibly any type of precision flying, not to mention the other issues such as ghosting.

I'm going to check the more expensive £400+ wide screen PC monitors, but they also have their fair share of pros/cons.

I'm looking as well for a new 32" monitor/TV and think this is an interesting one:

http://xsreviews.co.uk/reviews/benq-bl3200pt-32-inch-1440p-monitor-review/

Pricing is ~425£ - Its successor will be ~500.

WQHD instead of 4K @32" should be enough, or am I wrong?

I'm looking as well for a new 32" monitor/TV and think this is an interesting one:

http://xsreviews.co.uk/reviews/benq-bl3200pt-32-inch-1440p-monitor-review/

Pricing is ~425£ - Its successor will be ~500.

WQHD instead of 4K @32" should be enough, or am I wrong?

Yes you will be happy with that. For reference I had a 35" 2560X1080 and while yes it is the limit of 1080p, it looked just fine sitting at arms length. 32" 1440p will probably look great.

4K is only of actual benefit when you get to the 40" mark. While some people will mention pixels per inch which is a simplification, the real important number is pixels per degree of FOV. But that requires using math and trigonometry (ewwww).

One note is I was never happy with VA on the BenQ XR3501, but that may have changed with newer panels. In DCS it was particularly bad because the cockpit would appear too dark without BenQ's "black equalizer" turned up and then the cockpit would smear when looking around due to the absolutely terrible pixel response time (144hz btw). Also, when playing the new DOOM in the hell levels, brown would change to orange when moving because of that poor pixel response. I will never buy a VA panel again.

Edited by Sideslip

• ED Team

I've just moved to a 49" 3840x2160 HDR smart tv and loving it so far.

Input lag is under 50ms in game mode, and I have not noticed a delay myself.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Well after all the umming and ahhing I decided bigger was better, at least it is in this case. I manned up and found a great deal on an LG 34" IPS 3440 x 1440 monitor for under £400. I am still very surprised that after reading all the monitor reviews and watching loads of Youtube unboxing videos etc, it all came down to the responses on this forum that helped me to decide. No one can say I didn't do my homework. Thank you all again.

Ps. I'll never squint at a ZSU 23-4 again.

I'm sure you'll love it. Monitors are something that people tend to hang on to for a long time. In a few years you'll wonder how you could have ever done without it.

Oh and don't forget to increase your fov when you get the new monitor. The fov in DCS is set horizontally, so by default you will see exactly the same left/right but less up/down. If you used 90 before, set it to at least 100.

Edited by Sideslip