Oculus and Checking 6 - Better Ways?

Fangio

I finally have gotten DCS and Oculus to run on my machine (barely) so now it is time to learn to fight. That means being able to track and maintain site on an enemy with whom you are engaged. If that enemy happens to be behind you, that is almost impossible due to the huge FOV limitations of the Oculus.

In order to check 6 now, I have to shift back in my seat, take both feet off the pedals, rotate my butt and legs toward the side I wish to look, put one hand down on the seat and push to lift my body up off the seat and then twist my entire body until my face is basically facing directly away from the forward facing position. Sometimes, this requires letting go of all controls including the flight stick. This is of course absurd, but it is the reality of flying with a diving mask on your face that removes all peripheral vision and ability to focus on objects toward the edge of your field of view.

I have been playing around with instead of the above process, turn my head and upper body as much as I can normally and then reach up with one hand and shove the rift further backwards thus manually skewing the view to make up for the lack in FOV. This works ok, but it requires not tightening the rift and having to constantly deal with re-positioning it on my face. While better than not being able to check 6 at all, this sucks.

It would sure seem that a better work around would be to have the ability to map a sort of snap view that simply skewed the view further in the direction one is looking another 30 degrees or so. You could map this to a hat switch and then use it as required to help offset the FOV limit.

IS this possible? Are there any snap views or other views offered by DCS that could be used in conjunction with VR to attempt and offset the FOV challenge?

We had a discussion on the topic a while back, might want to take a peak:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=189617

And welcome to the VR club :)

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Not that I aware of. You can use snap views to a camera position in the cockpit i.e. up / down / left / right / forward / back but the FOV remains the same the view not being static as in 2D.

Checking six is awkward as in RL... think clearing turns and wingmen

SIGBLOCK.png

Easy one :) keep bandits out of your six or have a wingman/lead to cover you :)

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

+1

I had the pleasure of sitting in a Spitfire last year, and it was hard checking 6, and that was without a harness on or flying goggles.

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB

CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Elite.

16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive.

SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.

Windows 10 Professional

Nope... Sorry.

That is why pilots are tightly strapped to their seats, but still some has loosen upper part so they can slightly lean forward and do slight shoulder movement to extend arm forward so they can push their upper body to opposite side.

That is something so many TrackIR pilot didn't learn to do as they just could swing head around.

Same problem is with people learning to use view zooming that was important at low resolution (like 1280x800) displays with old 1.2.x rendering where object might have appear just in kilometer or two.

And that is something unrealistic in DCS as you can pull higher G forces and still look around without problems instead locking view more to the HUD.

Most dog fights you would be flying with estimation where the enemy would be once you complete your maneuver and your situation awareness is very low unless you can keep a target in your front or someone speaking to you via radio what is happening.

But in VR, only easy way really is to just get a chair that allows to rotate and do that cheat.

• Like 1

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

IRL, only the lap belt is tight to hold you in the seat. The shoulder harness from the seat that plugs into your flight gear is on a reel to pull you into the seat if you eject. Other than that, your upper body has free range of motion, similar to your cars shoulder belt minus the inertia lock. I can't say I ever felt my upper body being restricted by the shoulder straps during my flight.

You have to look through a turn so you don't get sick. It's like riding a motorcycle, you look through the turn. I didn't have a problem looking through the turns when pulling G's.

• Like 1

Alienware 17 R3: Intel i7 6820HK @ 4 GHz, 16 GB DDR4, GTX 980M, 1TB Samsung NVMe 951 SSD, AW Graphics Amplifier w/ GTX 1080, TM HOTAS Warthog, Oculus Rift CV1, Monstertech, MFG Crosswind, Jetseat KW-908

I have a chair on wheels. So easy to just swing around a bit. Not really realistic if that's what you're aiming for but it works for me.

I don't mind taking my feet off the pedals if I really have to check deep into the six. I physically lean and stretch my neck just as you would in a real pit. Looking at real pilots doing it in a cockpit it looks like quite an effort to do, and with all that g loading I would imagine it's quite a sweaty affair.

IRL, only the lap belt is tight to hold you in the seat. The shoulder harness from the seat that plugs into your flight gear is on a reel to pull you into the seat if you eject. Other than that, your upper body has free range of motion, similar to your cars shoulder belt minus the inertia lock. I can't say I ever felt my upper body being restricted by the shoulder straps during my flight.

You have to look through a turn so you don't get sick. It's like riding a motorcycle, you look through the turn. I didn't have a problem looking through the turns when pulling G's.

Yes but it when you roll and go inverted you want the shoulder and lap straps to like stop you from falling out of the seat and through the canopy once centrifugal force stops acting on you. At that point I was glad the harness was done up snug. :thumbup::D

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

If anything, seems that vr flying is closer to reality. It’s the monitor users with mr_bendy necks doing the impossible.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Imagine doing that and pulling 7g"s

I wonder if that's possible? I mean a 180lb pilot would have an equivalent weight of over 1200lb. During the turn, I wonder if you can check six. You can probably move your head left and right, but not pick yourself up and look like in normal flight? I'm curious but I'm sure there are some YT videos! :joystick:

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I wonder if that's possible? I mean a 180lb pilot would have an equivalent weight of over 1200lb. During the turn, I wonder if you can check six. You can probably move your head left and right, but not pick yourself up and look like in normal flight? I'm curious but I'm sure there are some YT videos! :joystick:

Pulled 9.5 Gs and my ass was stuck, there was no moving. Swapped roles, and I flew the jet and pulled 8.5 Gs and still couldn't move but I had enough control to still fly the jet.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

Thanks for the confirmation. i kind of figured that would be the case. Not that you always turn at 8.5+ G's.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I read somewhere, some article written by a pilot, that he shifted his position prior to pulling the high G's, otherwise he wouldnt be able to track the bandit, cause shifting the position, or even bending the neck, was pretty much impossible. Which article that was though, I do not remember.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |