Experience with Captoglove?

Red Squirrel

Maybe I'll take the gloves up in the Hawg and do a little video. I'm still learning the software, which is rather simple but yet not. I can't make any promises but I will see what I can do.

PS I flew the Huey at E3.

I'd love to hear how easy it is to manipulate the dials, switches, etc.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Where is the tracking coming from?

My mouse glove is almost done. Just stripped down a wireless mouse and tracking it with an old webcam. 2 buttons and scroll input should do.

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

Thanks very much for sharing this, Groove. Finally one report from someone who has actually used the gloves. What I would be specifically interested in are the following points:

* A I understand it, you dont have to center the switch with your view (see Hansangb´s post). I don´t have to do this with my trackball which I´m currently using so I guess it´s the same with the gloves...

* how about turning knobs (radio frequncies etc), does this practically work ok (especially can you turn the knobs precisely enough?)

* Is aining at the switch stable (or do you have to do the shake as many people report from using Leap Motion)

* there are quite a few posts - from a theoretical level since none of the guys seem to have tried the gloves - that this just cant work from a principle point of view as the DCS cockpit is 2 D (and needs to be 3 D to have this kind of device work. I´m not really sure were this concern is aimed at, I guess it means that the finger position does not sufficiently correspond to the position of the switch in the cockpit (so no immersion...). Is that so (in the video with the huey module you see the guy flicking switches in the overhead panel without problems, but this is just an outside view).

It would be just great if you could spare some lines on that. For me, cockpit interaction is one of the key issues for the further developement of VR in DCS. And it´s a risky buy as the developer doesn´t seem to offer a refund policy if it turns out that the product is unsatisfactory...

Thanks a ton!

Hey Red Squirrel,

I have a CaptoGlove my self so maybe I can answer you as well.

Turning nobs is actually pretty simple, with a very small practice once you understand how the glove works. Aiming at the switch is as stable as you hand is, even thou you could just turn down the sensibility to minimize your own shakiness. As per the switches on top that you see in the Huey video that the CaptoGlove guys have done, where he flicks raising his hand, well until DCS team doesn't integrate the Glove and Virtual Hands inside the game, that is not possible, he probably did like that to make it feel more real to him (thing that I actually do my self also) but of course he could do it by only raising his head, aim at the switch my moving the cursor with the glove and then bend the finger, without the need of raising his hand, but this is a limitation that the guys from Capto and DCS I know are working on, and I can't wait for this to happen! but in any case, doing it like in the video still feels pretty awesome. :):thumbup:

Hey Red Squirrel,

I have a CaptoGlove my self so maybe I can answer you as well.

Turning nobs is actually pretty simple, with a very small practice once you understand how the glove works. Aiming at the switch is as stable as you hand is, even thou you could just turn down the sensibility to minimize your own shakiness. As per the switches on top that you see in the Huey video that the CaptoGlove guys have done, where he flicks raising his hand, well until DCS team doesn't integrate the Glove and Virtual Hands inside the game, that is not possible, he probably did like that to make it feel more real to him (thing that I actually do my self also) but of course he could do it by only raising his head, aim at the switch my moving the cursor with the glove and then bend the finger, without the need of raising his hand, but this is a limitation that the guys from Capto and DCS I know are working on, and I can't wait for this to happen! but in any case, doing it like in the video still feels pretty awesome. :):thumbup:

So just to confirm: Today, Catoglove acts just like a mouse button and no more. You still have to look at the switch in VR to manipulate it (and the hand doesn't have to be anywhere near the switch as you pointed out)

I guess once support for Touch/Controllers make it into it, the glove can actually act like a hand.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Thanks a lot, Issimo.

I still can´t believe the "it just works as mouse buttons" thing. I understand from the documentation that in DCS for turning the switches etc you work with The Glove in "mouse emulation mode" which to me means, it emulates a mouse. When I use my trackball (or my normal mouse) I don´t have to look at a switch to manipulate it, I can place the cursor on the switch by moving the mouse/trackball (and look the other way). For that, you need to check the "use mouse" (or whatever it´s labelled in English) box in the VR settings (I don´t usually do this, as it´s more convenient to center the cursor with your view if you are using a normal mouse/trackball). If The Glove emulates a mouse, it must be possible to aim at a switch with the glove (independent from your view), which then is a completely different ball game...

Issimo, have you tried using The Glove the "use mouse" option checked?

• 2 months later...

Anyone care to update us on how captoglove is working in 2.5, now that VR hand controllers are active?

Can it now actually be used as a virtual hand to reach forward and click buttons in the cockpit?

Techlabs Chameleon Watercooled Gaming PC - Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.7GHz : Samsung 950 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 500 gig SSD, Seagate 1TB 7200RPM Drive : MSI GeForce GTX 1080 "Founders Edition" 8192MB : 800W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply : 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz : Occulus Rift S : TM Warthog : MFG Crosswind V2 : Win 10 64. PointCTRL.

I'd be curious as well. But in thinking about this, you would almost need a dead zone. When your hands are on the throttle or the stick (collective/cyclic), you don't want the virtual hand to do anything or fight you by manipulating the in game sticks.

Also, we have to wait for ED to fix the fact that you can't right click.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

But in thinking about this, you would almost need a dead zone. When your hands are on the throttle or the stick (collective/cyclic), you don't want the virtual hand to do anything or fight you by manipulating the in game sticks.

Good point, however wouldn't a simple on/off button suffice? Bit like with trackir, you have a hotkey to have it track or not. (obviously not ideal as it uses yet another key binding, but enough to get it working initially.)

Techlabs Chameleon Watercooled Gaming PC - Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.7GHz : Samsung 950 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 500 gig SSD, Seagate 1TB 7200RPM Drive : MSI GeForce GTX 1080 "Founders Edition" 8192MB : 800W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply : 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz : Occulus Rift S : TM Warthog : MFG Crosswind V2 : Win 10 64. PointCTRL.

Good point, however wouldn't a simple on/off button suffice? Bit like with trackir, you have a hotkey to have it track or not. (obviously not ideal as it uses yet another key binding, but enough to get it working initially.)
+1

----------------------------------------------------------

i7 2600K oc 4.7g / asus gtx 1080 gaming x+ / 16gig ram / ssd 500gig / oculus rift / jetseat se / saitek rudder ((next upgrade)mfg crosswind) / logitech warthog hotas + 20cm extention / vaicompro 2.5

It could work. But it might get annoying having to constantly turn it on and off as you move about the cockpit.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

Stay tuned, I´ll check it out with my glove and post the result. Might well be possible because you can play Arizona Sunshine with CG as I understand. But we´ll see...
Ohh nice i am waiting for your test results of the gloves. thanks

i7 2600K oc 4.7g / asus gtx 1080 gaming x+ / 16gig ram / ssd 500gig / oculus rift / jetseat se / saitek rudder ((next upgrade)mfg crosswind) / logitech warthog hotas + 20cm extention / vaicompro 2.5

Ohh nice i am waiting for your test results of the gloves. thanks

Yes, me too!

If positive I will be purchasing one as I am currently using a touch controller sitting on my lap which I have to grab in order to select the various cockpit controls. It works but just adds another layer to the interface that hopefully a glove would negate.

I got a CG (left hand only) for Christmas :) It worked quite well but I could not really convince myself to use it. But I would also be interested if DCS 2.5 supports it even better :)

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss

Sooooo...Anyone with a Captoglove, could we get some feedback please on 2.5 integration?

Anyone?...

Buller?...

Anyone???

Just tried it out. Behaviour of the glove does not change in 2.5, i.e. it "just" emulates the mouse and not the touch sensors (which is not really immersive). As I said in my previous post, it is obviously possible to emulate touch controllers as there is a video showing guys playing Arizona Sunshine with it.

I´ll contact theyr support (have some other questions too, as I plan to do a review of the product, there are some things you should know bevor you buy...), normally they are very fast in replying.

Keep you posted...

Just tried it out. Behaviour of the glove does not change in 2.5, i.e. it "just" emulates the mouse and not the touch sensors (which is not really immersive). As I said in my previous post, it is obviously possible to emulate touch controllers as there is a video showing guys playing Arizona Sunshine with it.

I´ll contact theyr support (have some other questions too, as I plan to do a review of the product, there are some things you should know bevor you buy...), normally they are very fast in replying.

Keep you posted...

Thanks for update :)

Yes many thanks for the update Red, disappointing to hear that its not "out of the box" better after the update.

Please keep us posted and many thanks for taking the time to give us your feedback, I look forward to reading your review! :)

I mailed CG support and within less than an hour I got the reply (on a Sunday!). I had contacted them pre sale and post sale with some questions - same story, instant replies...

At present, the glove can not emulate the touch controllers because no one let´s them in: Oculus is actively preventing emulation of the controllers by some weekly changing "counter hack", and ED with 2.5 coming up didn´t have the time to implement CG support on their end.

Arizona Sunshine works (only) via steam, because the Steam VR engine works with the CG VR driver so there they can emulate the touch controllers.

So what they can do at the moment is mouse and keyboard emulation which is fully functional (with the glove you can switch and dial all klickable knobs, switches and buttons - like I did before with my trackball). It´s presently just not very immersive, as your hand position is not corresponding to the virtual position of the cockpit element. This will improve within the next weeks (target is March) when CG releases new firmware an a new "suite" especially introducing an "absolute" mouse mode which will as I understand then be much more realistic than the present mode. This update will also get rid of some bugs which I encountered and some issues stemming from a recent W 10 Update.

The CG guys told me that "deep integration" of CG in DCS is on top of their list, their CEO is on his way to Moscow to discuss details with the ED guys (I love the 2.5 update but IMHO using touch controllers in a realistic flight sim is a dead end road, it´s really inconvenient and much too time consuming to blindly put on the controllers lying in your lap or dangling from your wrist, so the future lies in hand tracking and the tracking quality of CG is really very good - especially compared to leap motion which I use in Xplane/Flyinside).

So, as my favorite fortune cookie once said: Patience is the key to happiness.

I would postpone writing the review (with some tips on calibration etc) when the new SW/FW update is there, not much sense to do this with work in progress. I you have questions in the meantime, no problem, just post it here...

Ahh: you don´t have to worry about turning the glove on and off when using a HOTAS. If you calibrate the finger sensors right, nothing happens if you just grip the stick or throttle. Only if you release the throttle/stick and then bend the finger - to which you have bound your function - some more (or pinch the pressure sensor) you will interact with the cockpit elements. I always have it on constantly while playing...

• Like 1

Great info Red, well fingers crossed they get somewhere with ED!

Disspointing to hear Occulus actively discouraging other manufactures from advancing the adoption of VR!

Please keep us updated!

• 3 months later...

Unfortunately not really. The CG team sent me a new "work in progress" version of the firmware and suite some month ago which I tested. IMHO there are still some major snags for using it in DCS:

Since mouse emulation in "absolute mode" does not work as per now (only in "relative" mode) your hand position does not really correlate to the cockpit. What I mean is: you can have your hand low on your left side and operate a switch which is in the upper right corner of the cockpit. It depends on where you "pick up" the cursor...This is fully functional, but spoils immersion. This should change once "absolute mode" is implemented.

I just cant dial in exact values on turning knobs, especially radio frequencies and the compass stuff, even with sensitivity turned down (so that for other purposes it´s hardly usable) the values "flicker" (maybe my age...). This is supposed to chance once separate mouse wheel emulation is functional (at present, you can just drag and drop).

You can´t bind any "F" buttons nor any numpad buttons to the sensors in "keyboard emulation", which of course are pretty vital for playing DCS. If that works, you can have two functions on every finger (stretching the finger completely and bending it completely) which is really really neat (with pressure sensors 3 functions per finger, and you don´t have to move the finger away from the stick). Thats a bug that I guess is easy to fix...

I have sent a mail to the CG guys if they can give us some idea when an improved version of the firmware/suite can be expected; I´ll let you know.