the most realistic A/G radar ever done for a game

rweaves6

Well 1st the HB development update that blew my socks off and now the Nov27 F18 update. This is getting exciting. I like the "most realistic simulation of an A/G radar ever done for a game" quote and one can't help but think we are just around the corner of an EA release. I'm getting confident that we will see it this year!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm wondering how often the air to ground radar modes are used IRL.

Remember reading in the net (I think at hoggit) a post from a real f-16 pilot, that the A/G radar modes are not used and that the primary sensor for ground attacks is the TGP.

Few months ago a had the opportunity to visit an air base for an air show , where usaf f-16's were present (from aviano AB). I got the same info from the pilot (Q: Do you use the a/g radar modes? A : No, we rely on the TGP).

Edited by jaguara5

Well 1st the HB development update that blew my socks off and now the Nov27 F18 update. This is getting exciting. I like the "most realistic simulation of an A/G radar ever done for a game" quote and one can't help but think we are just around the corner of an EA release. I'm getting confident that we will see it this year!

Where is this Nov27 F18 update? I can't see it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm wondering how much the air to ground radar modes are used IRL.

Remember reading in the net (I think at hoggit) a post from a real f-16 pilot, that the A/G radar modes are not used and that the primary sensor for ground attacks is the TGP.

Few months ago a had the opportunity to visit an air base for an air show , where usaf f-16's were present (from aviano AB). I got the same info from the pilot (Q: Do you use the a/g radar modes? A : No, we rely on the TGP).

Well we won't have either one at EA release so I don't guess it will matter for a while.

• Like 1

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I wonder why they cant just take the tech they use for the A-10C or the coming AV-8B's TGP and copy and paste it for EA even if its just a placeholder to at least allow some sort of precision weapons guidance options for players.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Spudknocker DCS World YouTube Channel!!

RTX 2080 Ti - i7-7700K - 32GB RAM - DCS on 1TB EVO 970 M.2 SSD - Logitech X56 HOTAS

I wonder why they cant just take the tech they use for the A-10C or the coming AV-8B's TGP and copy and paste it for EA even if its just a placeholder to at least allow some sort of precision weapons guidance options for players.

Probably because they don't want to waste time integrating placeholder systems... Real aircraft do not have all capabilities enabled at the beginning, I personnally do not mind doing the same with the F/A-18

I'm wondering how much the air to ground radar modes are used IRL.

That's real life...

Reality is if the radar isn't modeled correctly...ED will never hear the end of It..

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

I personally think a ground radar still has some uses. TGP is great if you have an idea where to point it with either intel or FAC/JTAC help. A ground radar would be useful in a killbox scenario like the one used in dessert storm. Where if it moves it’s a target. The radar would be able to cover much more area.

Well we won't have either one at EA release so I don't guess it will matter for a while.

Straight in the heart :D

Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X | i7 9700K@5.0GHz | Gainward Phantom GS RTX 3080 | 32GB DDR4@3200MHz | HP Reverb | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Croswinds | DCS PD 1.0 / Steam VR SS 170%

Doesnt matter if used or not, its the perfect excuse to model/simulate one, to be used in other modules in the future. One more feature to pick from.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

I guess USN Hornet pilots make use of their A/G radar much more often than their USAF F-16 counterparts. The reason for this is not so much the aircraft itself, but the environment. An A/G radar is much more usefull in naval operations on the open sea than it is over solid ground.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I'm even more interested in what will come after that and that is: "new and improved FLIR technology". :)

Well, at least I hope we'll get it wrapped up before the end of this decade.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

I'm even more interested in what will come after that and that is: "new and improved FLIR technology". :)

Well, at least I hope we'll get it wrapped up before the end of this decade.

That's what got me excited... reworked FLIR is so important to the simulator as a whole (well, the aircraft that use it at least).

5900X - 32 GB 3600 RAM - 1080TI

My Twitch Channel

~Moo

I guess USN Hornet pilots make use of their A/G radar much more often than their USAF F-16 counterparts. The reason for this is not so much the aircraft itself, but the environment. An A/G radar is much more usefull in naval operations on the open sea than it is over solid ground.
I would like to add that the operational requirements of current wars (notably the necessity of VID and a lack of significant armored opposition) likely preclude the usefulness of A/G radar for targeting. So I suspect that real life use has little bearing on what is realistic for our purposes.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

BTW, has there been any statements on how much of the datalinked real-time target information will be in the sim? Lots of missions can be flown with on-board active sensors off for emission control with appropriate ground or airborne support.

Anyways, having some specific interest in sensors and comms, I'm already excited about this A/G radar simulation. :)

I was surprised when reading Dan Hampton's Viper Pilot to realize that while the technology has been around, TGP's weren't widespread even in Operation Iraq Freedom in 2003. The Iraq War was almost 15 years ago, and front line F-16 units did not have them readily available yet.

For DCS I am sure interested to see A-G radar, I can see it being used more as a challenge in missions were we don't have TGP's.

I was surprised when reading Dan Hampton's Viper Pilot to realize that while the technology has been around, TGP's weren't widespread even in Operation Iraq Freedom in 2003. The Iraq War was almost 15 years ago, and front line F-16 units did not have them readily available yet.

For DCS I am sure interested to see A-G radar, I can see it being used more as a challenge in missions were we don't have TGP's.

+ 1 for this.

In simulators we usually have all tech things to use in all missions.

In real life is not so easy. Even NVG or AIM-120's are not always in use etc.. :thumbup:

Oculus CV1, Odyssey, Pimax 5k+ (i5 8400, 24gb ddr4 3000mhz, 1080Ti OC )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I personally think a ground radar still has some uses. TGP is great if you have an idea where to point it with either intel or FAC/JTAC help. A ground radar would be useful in a killbox scenario like the one used in dessert storm. Where if it moves it’s a target. The radar would be able to cover much more area.

I agree. It's probably irrelevant regarding real operation but in an other sim (about F-16, sounding like when you launch a programm to test your rig/fps....) I always used AG radar to detect target and then slewing the TGP to lase, regardless land or sea.

Lots of time to learn how to land on a carrier at night in a storm.

Will we have that for early release?

Good question. I don't recall there ever being a statement on carrier release time and whether or not it will be bundled with the F18 EA?

*Edit* Found this on the F18 FAQ:

"Q: Will carrier operations be included?

A: Basic carrier operations will be available at Early Access launch, but they will first be reliant on the carrier operations based on what we have currently for the Su-33. During the Early Access period, more detailed and realistic carrier operations of Case I, II, and III will become available."

Edited by rweaves6

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The concept of a ground radar transcends a client/player's individual experience.

It needs to exist because many aircraft - helo's and wing are equipped with them.

In order to be able to model future AC with that capability, it's just got to be there.

And the AI aircraft with this capability will be able to more accurately do what we see them do.

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

Have fun. Don't suck. Kill bad guys. 👍

https://discord.gg/blacksharkden/