OT: Polish Mi-24D crashes in Iraq

Kusch

Power loss during take-off? Hmmm.... Then why it has turned over? This could be either a tail rotor failure or a ground resonance consequence.

I seriously doubt it could be restored, it would cost almost as brand new helicopter.

"See, to me that's a stupid instrument. It tells what your angle of attack is. If you don't know you shouldn't be flying." - Chuck Yeager, from the back seat of F-15D at age 89.

=RvE=

Was a router failure on takeoff or landing..or it hit something......Read it in AirForces monthly which I cant find...Will update later.

:Core2Duo @ 435FSB x 7 3.05GHz : ATI x1900xtx: 2GB Patriot @ 435Mhz : WD 250Gb UATA: Seagate 320Gb SATA2: X-Fi Platinum:

Yep. I can see crewman standing on the fuselage. Kusch! This is one Hind from Pruszcz Gdański squadron right?

Yes. Helicopters will become in Iraq for ever. It base equipment changes on RQ-5 Hunter...

Give me "flying telephone pole" (SA-2)!

On topic of the Hind, I always wondered what sensors the Mi-24D has. I read that under the chin it has a LLTV and radar and some optic/laser device on the left wingtip for missile guideance. That sounds like realy good avionics for such an old bird, compared to the TV-only sight of the Ka-50.

Anyone has more details on those systems and their capabilitys ?

Wow, what a wonderfull photo. Those lines are just phantastic. I even see a cabin mounted MG in the side. That thing is armed to the teeth !

The Mi-24 is realy THE gunship.

It took me a while to spot the eyes painted on the engine intakes, but I think it's a fantastic touch . . . . the thing looks like a crocodile!

And I'd still prefer to fly the Ka50 :P

I'm sure the Ka-50 is fun, but if I had to choose my favourite russian helo it is the Mi-24 anyday :)

I just read that the radar thing under the chin is for guideance of the radio corrected Shturm ATGMs.

Btw, does the Hind still holds the helo speed record ?

It took me a while to spot the eyes painted on the engine intakes, but I think it's a fantastic touch . . . . the thing looks like a crocodile!

And I'd still prefer to fly the Ka50 :P

Guess what it's Soviet nickname was... Yes, the salt water crocodile type, the Alligator.

Creedence Clearwater Revival:worthy:

All is correct, MI-24 name in our Russian army by ''Crocodiles'' :). "Aligator" named KA-52 in KB Kamova already. And the name MI-24 so to say folk :)

Открылась бездна звезд полна;

Звездам числа нет, бездне дна. (М. В. Ломоносов)