Paint Kit availability

Zeus67

Hello folks.

We have an AV-8B NA paint-kit ready, only there is a problem: The package is nearly 1 Gb of data. 896 MB to be exact.

We are not going to include the kit with the release, it is too big, but we want to make it available to those interested.

So I need ideas of how to do that. Thanks in advance.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

Maybe a Dropbox type of DL host deal? I would host it if it'll help!!

~Rob

+1 dropbox :thumbup:

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

Zeus,

Take the Paint Kit, place it into a folder and then use the free 7-Zip program to span it into 100MB chunks or whatever size your file host requires. I highly recommend the 7-Zip 64-bit version.

Cheers,

Backy 51

I don't need no stinkin' GPS! (except for PGMs :D) :pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I guess it's so huge because it has a ton of Layers blending into each other and so on?

If it would be possible to tone it down (merge Layers) to just have a couple of layers which make sense. Like have one complete Dirt Layer instead of one Group Folder including 100 single Levels...

With the Heatblur Viggen Template I had troubles on my computer because it was eating resources like crazy. And I work a lot in Photoshop and barely run into such Problems.

I'd say either Google drive/dropbox or perhaps ED could host it for you on the DCS shop page or another suitable area?

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

Plenty of options.

Mega, Google Drive, Dropbox, even ED´s own file section web page.

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

Those are the instructions how to use the paint kit.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

Dropbox poops out if to many people start downloading. When starway came out with his 1.5 texturepack he had the same problem with distribution, dropbox got blocked within 15min every time.

wetransfer works pretty good (and more important, fast), although it gets removed after 4 weeks, but might be good for the initial bump to users.

And mediafire works fine too, (that what starway uses at the moment).

So I would just stick it on mediafire and wetransfer, and let "the community" setup some torrent seeds until it is widely available.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/texture_templates/

...and the size shouldn't matter, the B-17G tetxtures are 3.55 GB.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)