Soldiers / human targets reaction to death

toutenglisse

Hi, I think some change should be applied to the way the soldiers / human targets react after being shot.

It's of course a matter for all modules but very sensitive with Ka-50 Blackshark.

When targetting a soldier with Shkval and shooting him with 30mm gun, it passes maybe more than 15 seconds before he lay down dead. It's weird and conducts to strange scenarios.

On a campain mission there were ennemy soldiers on a hill. I started shooting at and one of them started moving : he was knee down and sliding at some high speed for a static position guy...

I locked him with Shkval, aiming a bit forward to his moving direction so the shells would shoot at him, and on the Shkval I saw him sliding knee down, being directly shot by many rounds, and still sliding for long seconds. This Strange scene last more than 15 seconds before he finally stop sliding and lay down dead.

So I think a soldier should instantly lay down after receiving a deadly shot. It would be better for realism and less weird for the pilot ?

Edit : That "issue" was in 1.5.7 campain mission. Since I tried with single mission in 2.1 NTTR and also in last updated 1.5.8 .... No issue whatever the ammo type, explosive or armor piercing : soldiers die very quickly when shot. Maybe I had a bug or "damage modeling" changed since 1.5.7 ? No problem anymore.

Edited by toutenglisse

CA and infantry needs work, they're working on better animations.

As for infantry returning fire while under fire, perhaps the suppression script may bring a more realistic behavior.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commodore 64 | MOS6510 | VIC-II | SID6581 | DD 1541 | KCS Power Cartridge | 64Kb | 32Kb external | Arcade Turbo

They are working on skeleton animations for infantry for quite a while now. I think the announcement was more than a year ago. It got pretty quiet then.

Edit: It was announced almost 3 years ago actually, as part of DCS 2:

Some features we plan to include in DCS World 2 include:

• [...]
  • Skeleton animation for infantry
  • [...]

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Yes the new skeleton modeling is great improvement for models, but for me the more disturbing thing is their behavior and group handling.

I don't care about infantry being sprite or 3D model as I am there to shoot them or protect them from far away.

But what really disturbs is their behavior as all should be scripted instead having an AI to do it automatically.

Like when a helicopter or low flying aircraft is approaching, the ground units should stop moving to avoid detection (unless they are under fire or really need to get somewhere in matter of seconds regardless risk of detection).

This as well means the infantry should get semi-transparent once they stop moving (but cast a normal shadow) and even more transparent when laying down and the terrain matches their uniform (green terrain or paved yard are different things), so pilots would have difficulties to spot them.

And then there should be a some kind basic reaction sub-logic that infantry (all units) would seek a cover in their path, be it trees, be it building or something to get cover in case they get attacked, while still moving along their route.

And of course the main problem is as well that each infantry is considered as individual unit, so their communication and information is again superior for group, so if one knows something, suddenly everyone get to know it too regardless distance.

And commanding especially ground trools in CA or making mission in mission editor is pain when you can't have a single symbol as infantry team/squad/platoon depending zoom range. So you would get a single symbol representing the group that then operates under sub-AI behavior modeling, like when getting fired upon, they react to it without requiring to script all.

So if there is a building or forest near by (like 100m) then get in that cover instead just stand there or move a little and be dead. After a threat is gone, group would resume its tasks.

But now with 2.5 coming out, we need to start re-sending the wishes and bug reports against that by parts they missed from previous ones! :D

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

This as well means the infantry should get semi-transparent once they stop moving (but cast a normal shadow) and even more transparent when laying down and the terrain matches their uniform (green terrain or paved yard are different things), so pilots would have difficulties to spot them.

I do not like this idea...

My DCS modding videos:

Modules I own so far:

Black Shark 2, FC3, UH-1H, M-2000C, A-10C, MiG-21, Gazelle, Nevada map

Have you tried spotting a non-moving armored vehicle from 12000 feet in the spring with mk I eyeball? Neigh impossible I can tell you.

A helicopter already has a hard time to spot infantry when it's on the move, only when you seriously take your time to pear through the Shkval can you identify infantry, you'll most likely be hovering at this point.

I agree with you that the AI should react in some way when being shot at or to avoid detection but making them semi-transparant is not a solution I'd choose.

Anyway, you bring up an interesting point which I shall take with me to the MOOSE part of the forum to see if some kind of detection/suppression script is possible in order to enhance infantry behavior.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commodore 64 | MOS6510 | VIC-II | SID6581 | DD 1541 | KCS Power Cartridge | 64Kb | 32Kb external | Arcade Turbo