VTO Issue

kashmir

I cannot get the Harrier to lift-off in VTO configuration. At full throttle (confirmed on engine MFCD page), the weight comes off of the landing gear but it never comes off the ground. I have tried it clean and with armaments. Flaps in STOL mode at confirmed down. I have tried nozzle settings between 80-90 degrees, water injection off, TO, & landing mode...nothing. What am I missing.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I cannot get the Harrier to lift-off in VTO configuration. At full throttle (confirmed on engine MFCD page), the weight comes off of the landing gear but it never comes off the ground. I have tried it clean and with armaments. Flaps in STOL mode at confirmed down. I have tried nozzle settings between 80-90 degrees, water injection off, TO, & landing mode...nothing. What am I missing.

Reduce fuel load to 60% ish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

What do you mean by "in VTO configuration"? Are you referring to engine power and nozzle configuration only or is there an avionics component I am missing? I figured out the fuel/weight issue on my own and can take off (60 degrees nozzle at full engine power) but I find it extremely difficult to hover or land.

I thought because I could fly a helicopter with precision it would be easy to adapt to the Harrier.

I thought wrong.

I need, I need, I need... What about my wants? QuickSilver original.

"Off with his job" Mr Burns on the Simpsons.

"I've seen steering wheels / arcade sticks / flight sticks for over a hundred dollars; why be surprised at a 150 dollar item that includes the complexities of this controller?! It has BLINKY LIGHTS!!" author unknown.

These titles are listed in the chronological order I purchased them.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

What do you mean by "in VTO configuration"? Are you referring to engine power and nozzle configuration only or is there an avionics component I am missing? I figured out the fuel/weight issue on my own and can take off (60 degrees nozzle at full engine power) but I find it extremely difficult to hover or land.

I thought because I could fly a helicopter with precision it would be easy to adapt to the Harrier.

I thought wrong.

I found that a nozzle setting of 84 was about right for a hover and made it easy to maintain, Esp from VTO. The main thing that took some effort to maintain for me coming from rotary modules was that you are at the top end of the throttle limit and it's very tiny changes in throttle between sinking, hovering and climbing. I think some work on curves may be needed for my setup (x55).

I thought the max weight was 23,000 LBS? I could be wrong...

Its funny I suck at helicopters in DCS, I have tried so hard to be good at flying them, still cant land a Hip to save my life but I picked up the VTOL in the Harrier in like 15 min... the way it works makes more sense in my mind than the way a helo does... I guess certain folks take to things quicker

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Spudknocker DCS World YouTube Channel!!

RTX 2080 Ti - i7-7700K - 32GB RAM - DCS on 1TB EVO 970 M.2 SSD - Logitech X56 HOTAS

I thought the max weight was 23,000 LBS? I could be wrong...

Its funny I suck at helicopters in DCS, I have tried so hard to be good at flying them, still cant land a Hip to save my life but I picked up the VTOL in the Harrier in like 15 min... the way it works makes more sense in my mind than the way a helo does... I guess certain folks take to things quicker

Hovering the harrier is a bit easier imo. You don't have to fight the torque.

I have been trying to hover at 82 degrees. I will try 84 and see how it goes.

I need, I need, I need... What about my wants? QuickSilver original.

"Off with his job" Mr Burns on the Simpsons.

"I've seen steering wheels / arcade sticks / flight sticks for over a hundred dollars; why be surprised at a 150 dollar item that includes the complexities of this controller?! It has BLINKY LIGHTS!!" author unknown.

These titles are listed in the chronological order I purchased them.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The vertical takeoff appears challenging. It seems that it's possible only with rather limited payload and less than 100% internal fuel. That would limit operational capabilities significantly. V Landing seems less critical at least in theory as there should be little payload left, and internal fuel would be below 50%.

What is the maximum weight for VTO? I did not find it in the manual.

Also I wonder whether the LIDS is implemented. I did not find any control that I could have bound to a button. And when I switch it with the mouse in the cockpit I don't see any effect.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

The vertical takeoff appears challenging. It seems that it's possible only with rather limited payload and less than 100% internal fuel. That would limit operational capabilities significantly. V Landing seems less critical at least in theory as there should be little payload left, and internal fuel would be below 50%.

What is the maximum weight for VTO? I did not find it in the manual.

Yes, the Harrier will rarely VTO as it doesn't have the power when well loaded.

Power varies with temperature and air density, so there's no fixed figure for max VTO weight.

There is an MFD page "VRST" that will be added later that does the calculations for you in real time. This will be a great help.

Also I wonder whether the LIDS is implemented. I did not find any control that I could have bound to a button. And when I switch it with the mouse in the cockpit I don't see any effect.

It's a flap just in front of the nose wheel. You should be able to spot it now you know what to look for.

According to Wikipedia the engine has a thrust of 23,500 lbf. So the takeoff weight must be well below 23,500 lb.

I managed to take off with a weight (per mission editor) of 23,431 lb and the nozzle at 85°. At higher angles she tends to go backwards.

@FlaminSquirrel: Interestingly, I failed when I had set the LIDS switch to the "RET" position and conversely I could VTO with the switch in the "NORM" position. And I did not see that flap you mentioned either way. I guess that feature is not correctly implemented yet.

PS:

Now I have to learn how to get into hovering mode and VL. Seems challenging!

Seems more tricky than a helicopter. With the KA-50 I can manage to land on a flat roof when I'm really concentrated. Don't believe that can be done with a Harrier...

What an amazing aircraft this Harrier, seems to promise a lot of fun!

Edited by LeCuvier

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

According to Wikipedia the engine has a thrust of 23,500 lbf. So the takeoff weight must be well below 23,500 lb.

That thrust will probably be measured at 15C at an ambient pressure of 1013mb. Any conditions that alter air density or temperature will affect max thrust.

@FlaminSquirrel: Interestingly, I failed when I had set the LIDS switch to the "RET" position and conversely I could VTO with the switch in the "NORM" position. And I did not see that flap you mentioned either way. I guess that feature is not correctly implemented yet.

It is implemented. Here's what to look for, circled in red:

attachment.php?attachmentid=173083&stc=1&d=1512131737

av8b_1.jpg.a89daead69ed61fcba1df858e527f7b6.jpg

It's a flap just in front of the nose wheel. You should be able to spot it now you know what to look for.

It's behind the nose wheel! :)

And yes, I see it's implemented. It retracts automatically after the TO, probably when you return the flaps to Auto or Cruise position. And the switch in the cockpit should not be switched to forward position (RET).

LeCuvier