Pitch Carets.

bart

Are these implemented yet?

I read in the pocket guide that for EA they are fixed at 14 deg but they dont appear on the HUD in STOL mode. Anyone know if this is a bug or are they just not showing yet?

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

Are these implemented yet?

I read in the pocket guide that for EA they are fixed at 14 deg but they dont appear on the HUD in STOL mode. Anyone know if this is a bug or are they just not showing yet?

They do show if You pitch up, then You will see them slightly below the 15° pitch ladder.

i7-10700K 3.8-5.1Ghz, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 12GB, 1 x 1 TB SSD, 2 x 2TB SSD2 TB,  1 x 2 TBHDD 7200 RPM, Win10 Home 64bit, Meta Quest 3.

Ahhh ok. I dont pitch up that much on T/O so I guess thats why I havent seen them. It says to line up the witches hat on the carets on T/O but 15 deg nose up.....isnt that a bit high?

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

I rather think they indicate the maximum (It's told to be 15°) You should pitch up while in VTOL mode in order not to loose control.

I normally keep the "Witch Hat" on the zero pitch ladder.

If You then gradually points the Nozzles back and in the same tempo increase pitch towards the Pitch Carrets, then You can make a very steep climb out of hover towards normal flight (I guess like seen in some videos).

i7-10700K 3.8-5.1Ghz, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 12GB, 1 x 1 TB SSD, 2 x 2TB SSD2 TB,  1 x 2 TBHDD 7200 RPM, Win10 Home 64bit, Meta Quest 3.

Good tips thanks.

Ill try this out next time I fly it.

From the (real) manual:

Pitch carets (PC) are set at 14 for all takeoffs. This places the pitch carets at 6°of elevation with respect to thehorizon bars in the V/STOL Master Mode. This position indicates the desired post--takeoff placement of the Depressed Attitude Symbol (or Witches Hat). This takeoff attitude is the level--flight equivalent of 14° AOA.

I've not figured out how to set the caret yet either.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

as I see the default pitch carets currentl stand at 14° on the HUD. This is not where they should be according to the quote above at 6° (nor according to the pocket guide)

NB: it is stated in pocket guide that PC setting is not done yet. You can have PC and NRAS appear on ODU by pressing twice TCN (or any other key)

Details:

Asus Z-170E, Intel i5-6600K @ 4.2GHz, 16GB RAM

MSI GTX970 Gaming 4G

Win 10 Home

Hello,

as I see the default pitch carets currentl stand at 14° on the HUD. This is not where they should be according to the quote above at 6° (nor according to the pocket guide)

NB: it is stated in pocket guide that PC setting is not done yet. You can have PC and NRAS appear on ODU by pressing twice TCN (or any other key)

I’ve seen them appear when selecting VSTOL master mode button.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

The manuals confuse me on this part. Some say to put the Witch's Hat on the pitch carets, others say to keep the Witch's hat between the pitch carets and the horizon (maybe?).

I just remember to smoothly nozzle out without the VV dipping below the Witch's Hat, pause at 25-degree nozzles to raise gear/flaps, then continue nozzling out to 0.

• 2 years later...

And here we are 2020, and this is basic functionality unresolved...

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

And what exactly would you say is it that is still unresolved?

VREST calculation stuck at 60° nozzle regardless of weight, wind, conditions, and pressure. Inability to change NRAS because you dont know how to calculate NRAS because it is not written in the first place in the manual how to calculate it. Not even type it on ODU from scratchpad.

Basic, plane specific calculations...

Similarly, pictch carets could numerical value change on ODU but you dont know how to calculate it in the first place.

And to top it off, you are not sure about the flight model response to these numbers...:mad:

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Similarly, pictch carets could numerical value change on ODU but you dont know how to calculate it in the first place.

There is no calculation required for the pitch caret setting, it should always be set to 14 degrees for takeoff.

Edited by lukeXIII

VREST calculation stuck at 60° nozzle regardless of weight, wind, conditions, and pressure. Inability to change NRAS because you dont know how to calculate NRAS because it is not written in the first place in the manual how to calculate it. Not even type it on ODU from scratchpad.

Basic, plane specific calculations...

And to top it off, you are not sure about the flight model response to these numbers...:mad:

The 60° default is a good middle ground for most DCS Type loadouts and the NRAS displayed in the VREST page does change according to your weight.

If you really want to go the extra mile you can use the RL documents to calculate the correct numbers (including PC values), and ofc you can input/ change them via the ODU.

It´s a mood point though as the correct numbers do not translate to a correct behavior in Sim. This however not because RAZBAM did a bad job, but due to limitations of the DCS core engine.

If you questioning the FM is more than "just a feeling" then I would encourage you to write it up, include some verifyable data on what is and what should be and pass them on to RAZBAM.

I`m sure they´ll not only listen, but also act upon if they can (see above).

A very good example of how such a write up could look like can be found here:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=262823

As you can see there not only did a user provide data on what is wrong, he also did provide the needed numbers as well as a (very simple to do) fix.

Unfortunately it is still not fixed :(

On top of that, even tho it is about the F-16, it does affect the Harrier as well. And - can you believe it - even the numbers you are talking about.

52d_Sig_Pic3.png

There is no calculation required for the pitch caret setting, it should always be set to 14 degrees for takeoff.

This is nonesense considering the change of CG and weight and loadouts change happening every second...

The 60° default is a good middle ground for most DCS Type loadouts and the NRAS displayed in the VREST page does change according to your weight.

If you really want to go the extra mile you can use the RL documents to calculate the correct numbers (including PC values), and ofc you can input/ change them via the ODU.

It´s a mood point though as the correct numbers do not translate to a correct behavior in Sim. This however not because RAZBAM did a bad job, but due to limitations of the DCS core engine.

If you questioning the FM is more than "just a feeling" then I would encourage you to write it up, include some verifyable data on what is and what should be and pass them on to RAZBAM.

I`m sure they´ll not only listen, but also act upon if they can (see above).

A very good example of how such a write up could look like can be found here:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=262823

As you can see there not only did a user provide data on what is wrong, he also did provide the needed numbers as well as a (very simple to do) fix.

Unfortunately it is still not fixed :(

On top of that, even tho it is about the F-16, it does affect the Harrier as well. And - can you believe it - even the numbers you are talking about.

that is tire grip - a ground behaviour feature, in a new module, not basic flight characteristic of a supposedly old module still getting its fixes since release... The worst part is I am saying calculating NRAS, not pitch carets. I am sure both are valuable, otherwise, it would have been etched on the HUD regardless of weight or be changeable in the ODU to begin with.

Pitch carots do appear in VSTOL master mode and the way to fly takeoffs is to place the witches hat on the pitch carrots and adjust nozzles and flaps continuously to keep the velocity vector on the witches hat. As speed picks up nozzle angle will reduce to zero and flaps will reduce to auto/cruise, and as speed picks up to 300 you can exit vstol mode into nav mode and begin climbing at 300.

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD