Some observations on the Marine pilot

Home Fries

Fellas, I love the job you've done on the Harrier. I have nothing to nit-pick on the rivets, but I would like to address some details about the Marines piloting the Harrier.

I realize that you're essentially using the F-15 pilot texture (though with green gloves - nice touch!), but there are some differences that any Marines will take notice of.

1. Marines don't wear rank on their flightsuits. Only mention of rank is listed on their nametag.
  2. Nametags are always black leather with gold print. Marines don't do cloth/colorful nametags. They should also have Naval Aviator wings (the Eagle Globe and Anchor on the nametag is only when they're in pilot training and haven't yet been winged).
  3. Marines (and US Navy) wear their squadron patch on the right breast, not the shoulder (shoulder is USAF). Left shoulder is either the American flag, a TOPGUN patch, or nothing.
  4. The right shoulder is a platform-specific patch (like you have), that is usually tied to the squadron (see the image below). Otherwise, they wear nothing on the shoulder.
    14149.jpg
  5. Marines (and US Navy) don't put square velcro on their shoulders like the USAF. Patches are either sown directly on, or (more likely) the velcro is sized to the patch. Either way, you shouldn't see velcro.
  6. Finally, Marines wear green shirts with their flightsuits, including desert flightsuits. It's part of their identity.

Take a look at some of my Marine textures for some ideas.

Best,

HF

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi fellas,

I like what you did with the latest pilot textures. You've hit most of my talking points.

I have two additional recommendations for your textures. Both are highlighted in the attached PNG.

First, the two tabs circled in red should be removed. While the rank tabs have no rank, Marines don't put anything at all (even blank rank tabs) on the top of the shoulders.

Second (circled in green), the T-shirt should be green, and this applies to both green and desert flightsuits. Feel free to use the colors on my graphic. If you prefer, you can use the green circle as a color sample for Marine Green.

I look forward to more improvements with both the M-2000C and the Harrier.

1248992738_av8bpilotupdates254.thumb.jpg.ea95933eb38fac2c4e2ed74f1bd75d5e.jpg

• 1 year later...
Hi fellas,

I like what you did with the latest pilot textures. You've hit most of my talking points.

I have two additional recommendations for your textures. Both are highlighted in the attached PNG.

First, the two tabs circled in red should be removed. While the rank tabs have no rank, Marines don't put anything at all (even blank rank tabs) on the top of the shoulders.

Second (circled in green), the T-shirt should be green, and this applies to both green and desert flightsuits. Feel free to use the colors on my graphic. If you prefer, you can use the green circle as a color sample for Marine Green.

I look forward to more improvements with both the M-2000C and the Harrier.

Hi,

I just recently found this post. But those aren't rank tabs. I just want to make sure that you knew we didn't add those. But I will change the shirt color to sage green as you requested.

Here are the pics of what those tabs are, they are part of the CMU-33P vest.

attachment.php?attachmentid=228129&stc=1&d=1582224563

attachment.php?attachmentid=228130&stc=1&d=1582224563

attachment.php?attachmentid=228131&stc=1&d=1582224563

Hope that clears it up.

99D16AD9-7D31-4E70-A6A8-2ECEE1C93268.thumb.jpg.25a1230f3005d8e273e26a0d898e1f83.jpg

1565024F-A68A-45D4-B8EB-ACE5F382BA7E.thumb.jpg.6b98298d36104cab04f8d21544202bec.jpg

DD19506C-B3A4-4120-81D2-A0858927CB35.thumb.jpg.ffcbb1cc6e91b55d315a13f0a20a2239.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

We take the Metal and bring it to Mesh