AGM-122 Sidearm seeker is bugged

Manzanita

When the sidearm has a target locked, the seeker is able to keep lock 360 degrees even when the plane is flying in the opposite direction of the target. Also when having fired one sidearm the next sidearm will bug out and seem to not be able to lock anything. I have to disarm and rearm it again in order to fix it.

I can confirm both behaviours.

Another thing I noticed is that a Sidearm fired without a lock will explode a few meters into flight. But I´m not sure if that is a bug or a feature. dunno.gif

It does the same on the Su-25't if you force fire the missile. So i guess it's a feature?

After a hint in another thread I selected the Sidearm through the EWR Display. Once it worked and I killed two Sams without deselecting Sidearms in between, but the next time it didn´t work again. At least the chances seem higher when selecting through EWR or Stores display.

Try flipping the IR cool switch next to jettison.

Are you stating to cycle the switch after every shot, or to be sure that the IR cool switch is in the up/on position?

The only luck I've had so far is to select the Sidearm in the RWR page, but with only partial success as has been stated previously by another.

Edit: The IR Cool switch had no effect on the performance of the Sidearm. I tried with it off, then again with on, then cycling after the first shot. I only get a lock on the very first Sidearm. All subsequent missiles fail to lock.

Edited by Baaz

IR Cool has a rather interesting effect on the Sidearm but I don't believe it's modeled yet.

"In A/G master mode with Sidearm selected, if IR COOL is selected and the Sidearm is uncaged (pilot actuates the cage/uncage button), the seeker is placed in the SLAVE mode.

In the SLAVE mode, the seeker is awaiting head positioning commands that are not coming, thus the seeker is uncaged and will free float. "Free float" is defined as the lack of electronic restraint on or guidance to the seeker antenna such that the antenna is free to move where ever an external force directs it (i.e., dynamic flight loads).

The movement will terminate at the gimbal stop. Excessive and uncontrolled contact with the gimbal stop can cause sever damage.

With the IR COOL on there is no capability to command the missile back to the boresight (caged) position.

In non-A/G master modes (i.e., A/A), if the IR COOL position is selected, the Sidearm seeker will uncage and the seeker will free float.

In this case, the pilot will have no indication of this (i.e., no Sidearm HUD symbology or missile tone).

Due to the above conditions, the IR COOL switch should not be placed in the IR COOL position when Sidearm(s) is loaded on the aircraft."

Note the guidance of this Sidearm (target is the Tunguska). It's kinda cool how it lags a bit behind the enemy vehicle.

Screen_171203_102021.png

With guidance error or not, the Sidearm got the Tunguska. At least this time.

Screen_171203_102056.png

The above taken from a debrief at my blog.

https://kriegsimulation.blogspot.com/2017/12/dcs-av-8b-night-attack-vstol.html

Cheers,

in theorie, a search radar turns and the seeker only sees it when the dish is pointing towards the sidearm. So the Seeker head is blind 3/4th of the time and has to keep up in the small fraktion of time the Radar beams actualy hit it

• Like 1

'controlling' the Ka50 feels like a discussion with the Autopilot and trim system about the flight direction.

Sidearm FM and seeking characteristics are on DCS side of the equation.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

I did some tests... not too much actually, and I think, the issue here is that i was using shillkas as targets. They have quite short range. And I think, the Sidearm only locks the target when the enemy locked you on. Is that possible?, if so, is that correct?. I am not expert in the topic, but I think, I have read in books other AGM anti radar goes to any emission detected, independently of the status...

Edited by ESAc_matador

I did some tests... not too much actually, and I think, the issue here is that i was using shillkas as targets. They have quite short range. And I think, the Sidearm only locks the target when the enemy locked you on. Is that possible?, if so, is that correct?. I am not expert in the topic, but I think, I have read in books other AGM anti radar goes to any emission detected, independently of the status...

In DCS, the shilkas do not turn on their radars until you are near weapons range. By the time the sidearm can look at them, the shilkas are already firing at you.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."