AV-8B COPY PROTECTION CHANGE

Wags

AV-8B COPY PROTECTION CHANGE  

441 members have voted

1. 1. AV-8B COPY PROTECTION CHANGE

• 1 Calendar Day
    • 3 Calendar Days ( Current System Under Evaluation )
    • 7 Calendar Days
    • 14 Calendar Days
    • 21 Calendar Days
    • 30 Calendar Days ( Once a Month )
    • 60 Calendar Days
    • 90 Calendar Days

So how does steam's offline mode work or 'protect'? I must say i have never kept steam for weeks on end in offline mode and thus am not totally sure you could play your games for ''years'' in offline mode. If i am not mistaken, steam relies on games being protected with various anti temper/piracy mechanisms like Denuvo, Starforce or a combination there of in adition to its account scheme. So how would removing starforce but phoning home solve that issue?

Additionally, i kinda feel its just wrong to display to honest paying customers a verification prompt (like you have done something wrong and need to prove you are good guy) if you are without or choose to be without internet.

• Replies 731
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

to BIGNEWY, is possible with the new license check to have DCS installed in more than one PC so when I'm home I can use mine and if I'm on a travel I can use the notebook? or is still bound to the installed hardware? I think the best option is like IL-2 series is working... you can have only one account online at the same time

• ED Team
Not the same as offline login though

So far master server has not been down for 4 days, but I have no way of predicting the future

And as stated it only has to be down for ONE day for it to be a problem for a user

That is not the same, currently

buy,download, activate and you are good to go offline and play for a long as you want

currently

requires internet activation. is how you are selling modules

will it be changed to

requires internet connection every 4 days to work

?

Not the same as offline login? you can login without a connection as long as it is within 4 days of your last login ( the 4 days may get tweaked )

You also can not say it will be offline for 4 days or more, non of us can predict the future

You are still good to go, if you bought - downloaded and installed you have an internet connection

I am sure the requirements will get edited once it becomes necessary.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• ED Team
to BIGNEWY, is possible with the new license check to have DCS installed in more than one PC so when I'm home I can use mine and if I'm on a travel I can use the notebook? or is still bound to the installed hardware?

As far as I am aware you can install on more than one pc, you just can not be logged into the same account on both machines at the same time

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I really like the step towards this system. Much more simpler system.

We login everytime anyway. Appreciate it. Now just unify everything under 2.5 :)

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

As far as I am aware you can install on more than one pc, you just can not be logged into the same account on both machines at the same time

this is very good.. indeed it can be adjusted if they want you to try some modules... imagine that ED give you the possibility to have the module "X" for 4 days, so you can try it and then buy, or after the 4 days it will be removed from your account so you can't use it anymore, I believe is easy to implement with the new license check, every month or so a module to test... I don't think is a bad idea

Not the same as offline login? you can login without a connection as long as it is within 4 days of your last login ( the 4 days may get tweaked )

You also can not say it will be offline for 4 days or more, non of us can predict the future

You are still good to go, if you bought - downloaded and installed you have an internet connection

I am sure the requirements will get edited once it becomes necessary.

It the as long as it is within 4 days, is where the issue is

If it was you can use offline login, then sure no problem

• Like 1

METAR weather for DCS World missions

Guide to help out new DCS MOOSE Users -> HERE

Havoc Company Dedicated server info Connect IP: 94.23.215.203

SRS enabled - freqs - Main = 243, A2A = 244, A2G = 245

Please contact me HERE if you have any server feedback or METAR issues/requests

• ED Team
this is very good.. indeed it can be adjusted if they want you to try some modules... imagine that ED give you the possibility to have the module "X" for 4 days, so you can try it and then buy, or after the 4 days it will be removed from your account so you can't use it anymore, I believe is easy to implement with the new license check, every month or so a module to test... I don't think is a bad idea

Slightly off topic so we wont discuss it here, but I don't think that is something ED would do. It has been mentioned before in feedback.

The new login makes things so much easier, especially for us testers.

• ED Team
It the as long as it is within 4 days, is where the issue is

If it was you can use offline login, then sure no problem

Well best wait and see how it plays out, you have given your feedback and ED will see it. No point going back and forth, I don't agree with your logic, but if you want we can continue in a PM?

Well best wait and see how it plays out, you have given your feedback and ED will see it. No point going back and forth, I don't agree with your logic, but if you want we can continue in a PM?

Thanks Bignewy for the kind offer of PM but I would prefer to discuss this in the forum

so as to get other opinions and get a better understanding of what is going to happen

The picture below details on the left what is proposed by ED

On the right is the way I (and I sure some others would like it)

HMD4S4R.png

Edited by Johnny_Rico

METAR weather for DCS World missions

Guide to help out new DCS MOOSE Users -> HERE

Havoc Company Dedicated server info Connect IP: 94.23.215.203

SRS enabled - freqs - Main = 243, A2A = 244, A2G = 245

Please contact me HERE if you have any server feedback or METAR issues/requests

The part that really worries me is that I read this as being applied retrospectively, ie all of the modules I own will become useless because I don't have a reliable connection. Hard to look forward to an afternoons simming if I know I'll need to try a connection first.

Thanks for the answer, I asked the same thing a few pages back.

This is great, thank you ED!

I know I appear as a hater now and then although I am really not. Nut be assured I am very positive as soon as I see some real progress. Here it is.

Seriously guys (forum users, not ED), are you doing this on purpose?!

It states, in Wags' message:

You will not need a constant internet connection either. The new system will just “phone home” after a four day period or the next time you log into DCS World.

a) If your computer is on-line (with internet connection), DCS will check with ED's servers, every four days.

b) If your computer is off-line, DCS will check with ED's servers the next time it has an internet connection.

I'm quite baffled that people keep requesting very detailed simulations of planes, which require 500+ pages of manual, however seem not able to read and understand like 20 lines of news/announcement.

How do you guys come even up with those ideas

- that you cannot play without internet connection,

- that you need to connect every four days

- that ED would go through all the hastle to create a new copy protection only for one specific module without trying to update all the others in the future

For real, how?!

And, on top of that, always this complaining "Why does ED release a test version of the module to the test version of the game? I don't buy anymore modules in early access...".

Seriously, why would you even want to pollute the "clean" stable-branch of the program with (highly) possible erroneous code?

That is the deal of early access: test version of the module, in the test version of the programm, most likely incomplete and broken.

If you do not want to be part of the testing process, that is fine, don't be! But, please, stop cluttering the forum. Just don't buy in early access.

The only thing I give you is, that the communication regarding the new copy protection mechanism could have been better. There is the weekend news for instance.

However, this is still not that big of a deal as some people want it to be.

PS:

I like the approch ED uses on Facebook quite a lot!

People ask the same question over and over, dispite being answered in the post already they are commenting on or in the comments thereafter? Just copy/paste the same answer to every of those comments.

This is quite good! If people don't want to spend effort in reading the post, why should anyone spend effort to write an individual answer for each?

• Like 1

• ED Team
How much more warning ?

The amount I asked for, a couple of posts above

The ability to make an informed decision based on what you guys knew was about to happen, but did not tell us.

"By the way if you pre-purchase the Harrier it will come with a new DRM system

that will force you to phone home to our servers every 4 days or you purchased software will stop working"

Even Matts Letter did not go into this at all, such a big change should have warranted a few sentences in his heart felt letter surely?

First, it wasnt Matt's letter, it was from the management team at Eagle Dynamics. Second, the new DRM system is a WIP, they want to see how it works, and if there will be issues with things like the 4 day limit. Understand even Steam does this, although I believe their limit is 2 weeks. So as ED gets feedback, things may change.

• Like 1

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

I´m completely with Johnny Rico on this, both the new system as it is now as well as the communication about it, the information should´ve been there latest at the start of the Harriers pre-sale, not after we bought it.

Yes, it´s WIP, I know, that´s why I´m posting my opinion that I don´t like it this way ;-)

• Like 1

I'm quite new to DCS, and I like the sound of these changes to DRM. Ideally there would be no DRM, but I suppose we live in a world where it's needed.

The current mechanism had me baffled. Separate keys for each module? Differing activation limits? Multiple DCS installations (stable/beta/alpha) with separate module installations, but common license registry keys?

The new way is far simpler, and hopefully will be more flexible for ED to tweak as time goes on. Maybe over time the DRM can be loosened up if it shows not to increase piracy.

the only reservation I have is whether it needs cooperation from all the 3rd party developers. E.g. if a particular developer does not agree with the new proposal, will we end up managing the old and new DRM mechanisms at the same time?

Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48K, Kempston joystick Interface, Alba Cassette Recorder, Quickshot II Turbo Joystick

the only reservation I have is whether it needs cooperation from all the 3rd party developers. E.g. if a particular developer does not agree with the new proposal, will we end up managing the old and new DRM mechanisms at the same time?

I don't think that will be the case since, in the past, all 3rd party devs were required to use the DRM solution chosen by ED. That is likely to still be the case for the future.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I don't think that will be the case since, in the past, all 3rd party devs were required to use the DRM solution chosen by ED. That is likely to still be the case for the future.

It still could affect third parties, after this "phone home every 4 days" I am now debating as to whether I will purchase any more modules. I spend time away from home, more than a week at a time, where I do not have internet connection, if it had been mentioned before I pre-purchased the Harrier module I would not have bought it, damn I was looking forward to the F14 too.

:cry:

• Like 1

Sons of Dogs, Come Eat Flesh

Clan Cameron

You are not required to log in every four days. I just means that after a four day mark, it will send a verification the next time you play DCS World.

So do i understand you correctly: even if i am without internet access for 6 months, for instance, will i still be able to fly single player without issues?

If i read your response correctly; DCS tries to verify when logging in or after every four days without login. DCS will not stop working if it cannot contact the verification server even if more than four days have past. The verification process is there so once DCS is able to connect to the verification server, to check whether the modules installed match up with you logged in account?

If things don't match up on verification, unverifiable modules will be become inaccessable and/or other measures taken.

If the systems works as i think it does after re-reading Wags response i'd be fine with it.

So do i understand you correctly: even if i am without internet access for 6 months, for instance, will i still be able to fly single player without issues?

This very question has now been asked in ten pages in various guises and we still do not have an answer.

Would someone in the know please be so kind as to take the time to answer this simple question so we can move the discussion forward? :)

It seems a pretty simple question:

If the 4-day period ceases, yes, we understand the phone-verification takes place upon next login. Case closed.

However

Is said login limited to multiplayer only, ie we can continue to play Single-player indefinitely or is said login single AND multiplayer, in which case we will be unable to play single OR multiplayer unless a phone-in verification is attended to on day 5.

Which one is it?

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Actually, it is 3 days right now.

...and the answer to Viper's question is still missing.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

...and the answer to Viper's question is still missing.

Worst-case scenario is we wait till Saturday when the first batch of phone-homes are scheduled for, provided that someone remembers to unplug their phone-jack.

Would be nice to have a definitive answer now though.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'