Fuzes

Zarma

... and I like to add my own question regarding the topic at hand: I understand, that not all fuzes can be simulated in DCS in a 100% realistc way.

But for those that support the "OP" feature - that means, the fuze provides a second, alternat set of settings that the pilot can choose, right? Will we be able to utilize this? I.e. will we be able to configure different settings (HOF and whatnot) in the mission editor for example?

• 2 months later...

question

Anyone elaborate between PR/OP for the MK-20 Rockeye ?

Thought I remember reading somewhere or in the manual one is immediate burst opening, the other is a 4 second delay burst opening.

Second question, does either as well as altitude effect the sub munition dispense area in game ? or is this modeled as a fixed radius it seems. ]

If you read the manuals, the Harrier doesn't actually allow for a ton of inflight changes to the weapons. Most are ground set, and also most of the weapons the Harrier carriers, don't have a lot of fuzing options to begin with.

Regarding the MK20, PR is 1.2 second from release to burst, OP is 4 seconds. Yes dispersion is modeled for the rockeye based on burst height, altitude, etc.

-Jenrick

• Like 1

Anyone elaborate between PR/OP for the MK-20 Rockeye ?

Thought I remember reading somewhere or in the manual one is immediate burst opening, the other is a 4 second delay burst opening.

Second question, does either as well as altitude effect the sub munition dispense area in game ? or is this modeled as a fixed radius it seems. ]

PRimary and OPtion. Original Rockeye is a timed release canister. The first wire is for 1.2s and burst arming. If the second wire is also pulled then the burst is delayed until 4.0s.

Later Rockeye were fitted with radio proximity height of function bursting fuzes.

The bomblets should spread based on time (distance) of flight. All other DCS CBUs do this so it's a capability of the engine. There is aiming symbology in most platforms to ensure the weapon is at the desired height at the fuze function time.

I don't know a lot about the MK-20 fuzes, but with normal CBUs it is normally cockpit selectable height adjustment that I don't think is in DCS AV-8 yet but you can mess with in A-10C right now. Other than that, the MK-82 AIRS should have selectable fuzing for nose or nose/tail. Selecting nose means the bomb will arm but the chute won't deploy so it will perform close to a normal MK82, nose/tail means the chute will deploy for the high drag option. I haven't tested the fuzing options in DCS to confirm if that works with A-10C or AV-8, since pretty much all the time I'm just using JDAMs and LGBs.

For now I just use N/T for everything in DCS. Usually just N alone should fuze the bomb and it will detonate on impact but the aircraft holding the tail solenoid closed won't have any negative effect so doesn't hurt to have it selected as well.

As for what was stated above as far as the dispersion is modeled for burst height in game. This is just simply incorrect. There is very little change in dispersion effected area when dropping from 5,000ft vs 30,000ft in DCS. I have tested and tested and will have to upload some screenshots for comparison. ED simply needs to give the MK-20 some love in this area (as well as many other weapons)

When comparing from footage in Gulf 1/2 for the MK20 online actual area of damage that is vastly different then whats found in game. As I stated, There is extremely little difference in it being a larger area of effect in the MK-20 Rockeye when selecting PR in deploying from lower altitudes vs extremely Higher altitudes.

I don't know a lot about the MK-20 fuzes, but with normal CBUs it is normally cockpit selectable height adjustment that I don't think is in DCS AV-8 yet but you can mess with in A-10C right now. Other than that, the MK-82 AIRS should have selectable fuzing for nose or nose/tail. Selecting nose means the bomb will arm but the chute won't deploy so it will perform close to a normal MK82, nose/tail means the chute will deploy for the high drag option. I haven't tested the fuzing options in DCS to confirm if that works with A-10C or AV-8, since pretty much all the time I'm just using JDAMs and LGBs.

For now I just use N/T for everything in DCS. Usually just N alone should fuze the bomb and it will detonate on impact but the aircraft holding the tail solenoid closed won't have any negative effect so doesn't hurt to have it selected as well.

Even though the A-10C allows this in game in RL you cannot change these settings (HOF,etc)in flight on the Hog. They are done via ground crew. We get to do it via DSMS as we dont have ground crew

Even though the A-10C allows this in game in RL you cannot change these settings (HOF,etc)in flight on the Hog. They are done via ground crew. We get to do it via DSMS as we dont have ground crew

What parts can you not do? Fuse changes for nose or nose/tail should be cockpit selectable, is it just the CBU settings that can't be changed in the cockpit? Thought it was possible since it is technically a "smart weapon" that is mounted to pylons with a MIL-STD-1760 bus. I don't really have any experience with CBUs though because they aren't used.

What parts can you not do? Fuse changes for nose or nose/tail should be cockpit selectable, is it just the CBU settings that can't be changed in the cockpit? Thought it was possible since it is technically a "smart weapon" that is mounted to pylons with a MIL-STD-1760 bus. I don't really have any experience with CBUs though because they aren't used.

you can change fuzing options but none of the HOF,SPIN,etc

"Smart" refers to the guidance

you can change fuzing options but none of the HOF,SPIN,etc

"Smart" refers to the guidance

Yes, "smart" refers to it being guided, but in other smart weapons such as JDAMs you can change fusing options because it uses fmu-152 fuzes, in which you can change the arm time, delay, and if it has a dsu nose kit for prox fuzing you can turn it on or off as well in flight. But then there's great weapons like the GBU-24 which can hit pinpoint targets with four modes based on which type of target you're hitting that all have two modes within those options based on altitude... but it has to be set by aircrew preflight with screwdrivers. I think I need to look into CBU more, it isn't often used but might be a thing in Korea if that kicks off.

Just would be surprised if the CBUs are set on the ground vs being cockpit selectable, since they are mounted on 1760 bus pylons.

Yes, "smart" refers to it being guided, but in other smart weapons such as JDAMs you can change fusing options because it uses fmu-152 fuzes, in which you can change the arm time, delay, and if it has a dsu nose kit for prox fuzing you can turn it on or off as well in flight. But then there's great weapons like the GBU-24 which can hit pinpoint targets with four modes based on which type of target you're hitting that all have two modes within those options based on altitude... but it has to be set by aircrew preflight with screwdrivers. I think I need to look into CBU more, it isn't often used but might be a thing in Korea if that kicks off.

Just would be surprised if the CBUs are set on the ground vs being cockpit selectable, since they are mounted on 1760 bus pylons.

CBUs do not have JPF and as such are not programmable inflight, CBU HOF and Spin setting (as well as the backup timed fuse) are set via physical controls on the weapon by the arming teams. This is also true to Paveway LASER codes and settings for all other fuses.

FMU-152 JPF is just one type of fuse, even JDAM won’t necessarily be equipped with one.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

CBUs do not have JPF and as such are not programmable inflight, CBU HOF and Spin setting (as well as the backup timed fuse) are set via physical controls on the weapon by the arming teams. This is also true to Paveway LASER codes and settings for all other fuses.

FMU-152 JPF is just one type of fuse, even JDAM won’t necessarily be equipped with one.

Not sure about dumb CBU's, but at least the WCMD's did take some parameters from the launch aircraft to the weapons. I remember this pretty well since I was conducting a test flight where the wrong HOF was passed to the weapons...that was my first strike dropping weapons at China Lake.

It was a bomber, so not sure what the pointy nose types do.