Russian HUD question

Lixma 06

It could go either way, tbh. It might be a bug, or when you cycle to the freeflight mode it may just stop updating some things. Ultimately, the reason is because you're in tge mode that doesn't use waypoints or references.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

When you cycle through the NAV sub-modes and land on the 'nothing' mode it continues to display a frozen readout of the range to the landing waypoint. Is this a bug or is there a reason behind it?

In FC3 aircraft, we can't control the various functions of the navigation system such as dialing in specific RSBN (TACAN) stations, etc. What we have, instead, is the ability do decided whether we are using the equipment with the correct stations tuned for navigation (ENROUTE, RETURN, LANDING) or not using that equipment (General Piloting or what you refer to as nothing). In the case of the latter, there is nothing being received to give you range or directional information. So if you had them turned on and dialed in and then turned them off, the range information "freezes" where it was because it is no longer being updated.

Edited by Ironhand

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Because BVR is an altogether different submode, for one, that normally does not display any nav related data. The freeflight mode is more or less a nav mode, with all the associated hudology, only some of it is not in use.

There is no greater 'why'. It just does. It may be a bug or it may be intentionally frozen. If you think more likely it's a bug make a bug report. Otherwise there isn't going to be a deeper answer than 'it just does', because there isn't one.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

True, but it doesn't explain the decision to keep displaying that information on the HUD. For example switching from RETURN to BVR presumably leaves the navigational ranging information in a similar 'frozen' state but it doesn't remain on the HUD.

As already noted, they're two different modes displaying different information. The General Piloting mode is simply displaying on the HUD in digital form the same range information that's available in the HSI's analogue range window.

Edited by Ironhand

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

It may be a bug or it may be intentionally frozen.

Hence my question.

There is no greater 'why'. It just does.

Thanks, Yoda.

The General Piloting mode is simply displaying on the HUD in digital form the same range information that's available in the HSI's analogue range window.

The question is not what it's doing - we know that. The question is why. Why is a completely useless piece of information being displayed so prominently on the HUD?

In BVR, CAC, LNGT (etc) modes there is no reason for the HUD to display the last known distance to the LNDG marker....and so it isn't there. So why is it sat there on the General Piloting mode HUD? Of what possible use is it?

Unless it's a bug or an oversight, either ED or the real-life HUD designers have elected to project a completely useless bit of information on the HUD. Why?

...Why is a completely useless piece of information being displayed so prominently on the HUD?...

Unless it's a bug or an oversight, either ED or the real-life HUD designers have elected to project a completely useless bit of information on the HUD. Why?

That I can't answer. Nor can I answer why, when you first turn on electrical power, you always have the range and radial and direction to the IAF displayed on the steam guages and the range displayed on the HUD. Like you say, it's either a "bug" or there by design. There are a number of things in these aircraft that make you wonder why they were designed this way or that. This particular thing has never bothered me. But you should probably report it as a bug and see what happens.

I've taken a quick tour through the real-world manual and don't see anything relating to it one way or the other. But Russian is far from being my native tongue, so that's not saying much.

_____

If its bothering you, you can turn on fixed net or phi note {|}o mode to lose the information and steer with instruments.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.