Alaska Map

Magic Zach

I think it might be a good idea for a DCS map. Like the NTTR map, but in Alaska. It's northern, long cold winters, short hot summers. We'll have another map with mountainous terrain. It's very wide open, relatively unpopulated. Red flag events are held up here. The Interior has airbases such as Eielson AFB and Fort Wainwright. Fairbanks International Airport up here. And down in Anchorage, there's Fort Richardson Army Post and Elmendorf AFB in Anchorage. Anyways, just an idea, see if it catches.

Thoughts? Concerns? The good, the bad, and the ugly?109dc556d5b0a7af81ce32682b05c2ea.jpg87411dad4842701d3099891e4cc27af5.jpg

Edited by Magic Zach
  • Like 1

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Plus the cold air is challenging for engine management. I konkurs.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Alaska is a great wonderful place, but too far from the nearest theater... :( For example, Chukotka and Kamchatka are beatiful places too, but there will not any interesting theorical conflicts there... However, we have Baltic, Near East, Korea, South-East China, Vladivostok, Falklands, North Africa theaters, where we can fly and fight. :)

Су-27 Flanker | Су-30 Flanker-C | Су-33 Flanker-D | Су-34 Fullback | Су-24 Fencer | МиГ-29 Fulcrum | F-14A/B/D Tomcat | F/A-18C/D Hornet | F/A-18E/F Super Hornet | F-16C Fighting Falcon | F-15C Eagle | Eurofighter Typhoon | Tornado IDS | JAS-39 Gripen | AJ/JA(S)-37 Viggen | Rafale | M-2000 Mirage | Mirage F1

Ka-52 Hokum | Mi-28N Havoc | Mi-35M Hind | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | AH-1W SuperCobra

Alaska is a great wonderful place, but too far from the nearest theater... :( For example, Chukotka and Kamchatka are beatiful places too, but there will not any interesting theorical conflicts there... However, we have Baltic, Near East, Korea, South-East China, Vladivostok, Falklands, North Africa theaters, where we can fly and fight. :)
Were there any theaters in Nevada?

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Were there any theaters in Nevada?

Nevada is a famous test area. I think it can be exception.

Су-27 Flanker | Су-30 Flanker-C | Су-33 Flanker-D | Су-34 Fullback | Су-24 Fencer | МиГ-29 Fulcrum | F-14A/B/D Tomcat | F/A-18C/D Hornet | F/A-18E/F Super Hornet | F-16C Fighting Falcon | F-15C Eagle | Eurofighter Typhoon | Tornado IDS | JAS-39 Gripen | AJ/JA(S)-37 Viggen | Rafale | M-2000 Mirage | Mirage F1

Ka-52 Hokum | Mi-28N Havoc | Mi-35M Hind | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | AH-1W SuperCobra

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

;)

Im one of those that doesnt care if it has been a theater of war/conflict, but instead prefer interesting scenery, and Alaska surely qualifies for that. So it has my vote :).

On the other hand, I guess it qualifies for a theoretical theater of war. Wouldnt USSR have sent their bomber fleet across there abouts?

It is a bit big though, like almost the size of Western Europe if memory serves me right. But a big chunk of interesting scenery, sure Im in.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

An Alaska map would be the bees knees. Being around the Anchorage area absolutely blew me away after spending all of my life used to the calm hills, lakes, forests, and fields of the American Midwest. I would love flying my DCS aircraft in this region.

However, I would get pretty bored pretty fast, as I did with NTTR.

You see, many DCS users are looking for theaters with real world action or very plausible real world action. I doubt that the more casual crowd of DCS users would purchase DCS: Alaska, which would eliminate a healthy portion of potential sales.

Eagle Dynamics is a business and thus will make decisions as a business - looking to maximize profit margins, keep current customers happy, and attract new ones. The best bet for them would not be a theater like Alaska that the causal crowd might consider "boring."

In my opinion, if ED is interested in the big bucks, they should look at three possible locations for the next maps:

Kaliningrad

Syria & Iraq

Korea

In conclusion, awesome suggestion. Just not a step I see ED taking though.

Well, doing the entire state will be a bit much. I was thinking something the same size as NTTR or the Caucasus. The area surrounding Anchorage has mountains, and it's coastal. Fairbanks is far inland, but doesn't have mountains quite nearby. Large hills though. I think Fairbanks has more of a military presence than Anchorage. So it could be either A or B. If at all.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

An Alaska map would be the bees knees. Being around the Anchorage area absolutely blew me away after spending all of my life used to the calm hills, lakes, forests, and fields of the American Midwest. I would love flying my DCS aircraft in this region.

However, I would get pretty bored pretty fast, as I did with NTTR.

You see, many DCS users are looking for theaters with real world action or very plausible real world action. I doubt that the more casual crowd of DCS users would purchase DCS: Alaska, which would eliminate a healthy portion of potential sales.

Eagle Dynamics is a business and thus will make decisions as a business - looking to maximize profit margins, keep current customers happy, and attract new ones. The best bet for them would not be a theater like Alaska that the causal crowd might consider "boring."

In my opinion, if ED is interested in the big bucks, they should look at three possible locations for the next maps:

Kaliningrad

Syria & Iraq

Korea

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Kaliningrad

Korea

+1 :)

it would be wonderfull

but we would need proper ski planes

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

There are a few areas that could trigger that very well.

DCS: Fulda Cap

DCS: Gulf of Finland

DCS: Gulf of California

DCS: Denmark

You have lots of areas for historical arenas (Fulda Cap), for historical to today (Gulf of Finland) and then alternative future conflicts (Gulf of California and Denmark). If I would need to choose two, it would be Fulda Cap as it would be great for helicopters and CAS pilots.

And then Gulf of Finland as you would get parts of Russia, Estonia, Finland, Sweden and then ocean with lots of coast islands for amphibious operations and Viggen/Harrier/Hornet action (and this map should be coming?).

Kaliningrad

Syria & Iraq

Korea

Korea is a requirement if wanted to do Mig-15Bis and F-86 arena. Otherwise not. But that would be the thing for those two really.

Syria and Iraq.... Well, I think they are little boring and too much for a current reality really. Iraq maybe but I would still leave Syria out.

If you want lots of bucks... Make a map between India and Pakistan and see how a millions of people from those countries are investing to that arena ;)

Edited by Fri13

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Korea is a requirement if wanted to do Mig-15Bis and F-86 arena.

For modern air war too... It’s region with serious potential conflict.

It would be totally awesome if they could do the whole World with accurate NAVAIDS and Airways and all the airports with their arrivals/approaches/departures, etc. But, it'll cost a literal fortune and take 100 men a million years or a million men a hundred years to make!

MS Win7 Pro x64, Intel i7-6700K 4.0Ghz, Corsair RAM 16Gb,EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, w/ Adjustable RGB LED Graphics Card 08G-P4-6286-KR, Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champ PCIe Sound Card, Corsair Neutron XTI 1TB SSD, TM Warthog Throttle & Stick, TM TPR Pedels, Oculus Rift VR Headset CV1, Klipsch Promedia 4.1 Speakers...

Red Flag Alaska together with Elmendorf and Eielson Air Force Base would be a nice thing ;-) I like when there are both, real combat and training scenarios

+1 to that statement - since there IS a Red Flag-ALASKA exercise - which extends from Eielson to Elmendorf and covers the western portions of the AL-CAN border.

i7-8700K / 64GB RAM / ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti / (Win 10 Pro) / Oculus Rift S

+1 to that statement - since there IS a Red Flag-ALASKA exercise - which extends from Eielson to Elmendorf and covers the western portions of the AL-CAN border.

After watching the latest video of DCS 2.5 and the fantastic winter textures I appreciate a new trainings range like Alaska and Red Flag Alaska:

After watching the latest video of DCS 2.5 and the fantastic winter textures I appreciate a new trainings range like Alaska and Red Flag Alaska:

If there was an Alaska map, and it had Denali National Park, you could fly around Denali (former known as Mt McKinely). Tallest mountain in North America. If that's any significance.

Honestly though, winter below the arctic circle in Alaska is very similar to what you see in the new 2.5 Caucasus. It wouldn't look (visually) that different from the new map.

Doing cold startups would be interesting. -50F, and you're "contrailing" while on the ground.

But honestly, a Korean or a Pacific Theater map seems like a better option for now. But who knows. This might come back around in...10-15 years

Edited by Magic Zach

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]