Performance of DCS World 2.5

My PC meets the recommended requirements, it's running with high settings, anti-aliasing 8x, anisotropic filtering 16x and resolution 1080p.

In DCS 1.5, I have between 30~60 FPS, but in DCS 2.1 I don't reach good FPS rates.

When I'm in Nellis, flying low over Las Vegas or Normandy, I have between 20~30 FPS. If I decrease the anti-aliasing to 2x, I can reach >30 with "ugly edges".

I would like to know what to expect about the performance of DCS 2.5?

PS 1: I know it's alpha version and early access, I'm only asking a question.

PS 2: I'm waiting the release of DCS 2.5 to figure out what I need to fix.

Best regards.

Edited by SilentSierra

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D MOBO: Asus ROG STRIX B650E-E MEM: Kingston FURY Renegade 64GB DDR5 5200MHz SSD: Kingstone Fury Renegade NVME PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD 4TB GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC CASE: Cooler Master TD500 Mesh WATER COOLER: Cooler Master Master Liquid ML360 Illusion HT: TrackIR 5 VR: HP Reverb G2 V2 HOTAS: TM HOTAS Warthog RUDDER: TPR Rudder Pedals GRIP: TM F/A-18C GRIP WHEELS: Logitech G27 OS: Win 11 Pro SIMS: DCS World, Falcon BMS, IL-2 Sturmovik, MSFS2020, Arma 3, Assetto Corsa.

While I wholly understand your concern, you need also to keep in mind, that the developers should not be thinking "Oh, our customer base cannot upgrade, so let us leave the simulator to a level that can be run on a lower end hardware - thus leaving out graphical and simulated content".

DCS improves, and unfortunately, so do the requirements to play. Otherwise we will never get forward.

That said, from what I've understood from Sithspawn having tested some future builds - the new versions should be roughly comparable with the current 2.1.

Regards,

MikeMikeJuliet

DCS Finland | SF squadron

Why should I suffer/have to settle for a lesser product being offered from ED because you can't or won't upgrade your system to run the settings you want?

If you can't build a top tier system for whatever reason, lower your settings. That's your problem, not mine.

It's only a problem when a top tier system can't run medium or high settings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Yeah, I know. I said I did what could for now to reach what is recommended in download section. I hope to have enough to run the DCS 2.5 with +30 FPS with some quality. I'm asking what to expect, I'm not saying what developer should or not do.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D MOBO: Asus ROG STRIX B650E-E MEM: Kingston FURY Renegade 64GB DDR5 5200MHz SSD: Kingstone Fury Renegade NVME PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD 4TB GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC CASE: Cooler Master TD500 Mesh WATER COOLER: Cooler Master Master Liquid ML360 Illusion HT: TrackIR 5 VR: HP Reverb G2 V2 HOTAS: TM HOTAS Warthog RUDDER: TPR Rudder Pedals GRIP: TM F/A-18C GRIP WHEELS: Logitech G27 OS: Win 11 Pro SIMS: DCS World, Falcon BMS, IL-2 Sturmovik, MSFS2020, Arma 3, Assetto Corsa.

Yeah, I know. I said I did what could for now to reach what is recommended in download section. I hope to have enough to run the DCS 2.5 with +30 FPS with some quality. I'm asking what to expect, I'm not saying what developer should or not do.

Hopefully it will be well optimized so that mid-to-low end systems can maintain reasonable settings and reasonable frames, and then high end systems will be able to jack up all the settings and still run with reasonable performance.

All indication from ED thus far has been that it will be equal to, or better optimized, than 2.x currently is. Maybe someone will provide more official color on that in here for you.

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Here you have the minimum and maximum requirements to run DCS World that were given to us by Eagle Dynamics on facebook.

Minimum system requirements:

OS 64-bit Windows 7/8/10; DirectX11; CPU: Core i3 at 2.8GHz; RAM: 8 GB; Free hard disk space: 60 GB; Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 / ATI R9 280X DirectX11); requires internet activation.

Recommended system requirements:

OS 64-bit Windows 7/8/10; DirectX11; CPU: Core i5+ at 3+ GHz; RAM: 16GB; Hard disk space: 60 GB on Solid State Drive (SSD); Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 / ATI R9 Fury DirectX11 or better; Joystick; requires internet activation.

Here you have the minimum and maximum requirements to run DCS World that were given to us by Eagle Dynamics on facebook.

Minimum system requirements:

OS 64-bit Windows 7/8/10; DirectX11; CPU: Core i3 at 2.8GHz; RAM: 8 GB; Free hard disk space: 60 GB; Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 / ATI R9 280X DirectX11); requires internet activation.

Recommended system requirements:

OS 64-bit Windows 7/8/10; DirectX11; CPU: Core i5+ at 3+ GHz; RAM: 16GB; Hard disk space: 60 GB on Solid State Drive (SSD); Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 / ATI R9 Fury DirectX11 or better; Joystick; requires internet activation.

And it should go without saying that Recommended System Requirements does not mean you can max out the game with those system requirements... just that they will give you an acceptable level of performance at a reasonably acceptable graphics fidelity (IE: 30ish fps with "ugly edges", as you said)... antialiasing is a particularly graphics intensive operation, in order to ramp that up you will unfortunately need to upgrade your graphics hardware.

Since you are asking what to expect from 2.5, I would say you should expect it to run similarly to how 2.1 currently performs on your system as that is the closest version of the graphics system to what 2.5 will provide.

Robert Sogomonian | Psyrixx

website| e-mail | blog | youtube | twitter

My PC meets the recommended requirements, it's running with high settings, anti-aliasing 8x, anisotropic filtering 16x and resolution 1080p.

In DCS 1.5, I have between 30~60 FPS, but in DCS 2.1 I don't reach good FPS rates.

When I'm in Nellis, flying low over Las Vegas or Normandy, I have between 20~30 FPS. If I decrease the anti-aliasing to 2x, I can reach >30 with "ugly edges".

I would like to know what to expect about the performance of DCS 2.5?

PS 1: I know it's alpha version and early access, I'm only asking a question.

PS 2: I can't aford more hardware upgrades for now. The lastest generation of CPUs and VGAs is too expensive for me. I already spent some money trying to improve my rig to get good performance on DCS 2.1. I'm waiting the release of DCS 2.5 to figure out what I need to fix.

Best regards.

The one thing I notice in your setup is 2gigs of VRAM, which is very little, I play in VR in 2.1 and use 7 gigs. Half the refresh rate and play at 30 fps in 2.1, that's the only solution really. 2.1 EATS VRAM so at some point you may have to save up for a better GPU, there is no other way around it.

4.8 I7, 1080, TMW&T, SSD, VKB MK.IV.

The one thing I notice in your setup is 2gigs of VRAM, which is very little, I play in VR in 2.1 and use 7 gigs. Half the refresh rate and play at 30 fps in 2.1, that's the only solution really. 2.1 EATS VRAM so at some point you may have to save up for a better GPU, there is no other way around it.

Ah yes, I missed the system specs in the signature - your machine only meets the minimum system requirements, which to be honest if you're able to run anywhere above "Low" settings smoothly with your setup you're getting better performance than advertised. Time to upgrade that GPU.

I'm sorry, I didn't noticed they released the requirements of 2.5 in the Facebook page.

My PC meets the 2.x requirements in download section, my mistake.

Ah yes, I missed the system specs in the signature - your machine only meets the minimum system requirements, which to be honest if you're able to run anywhere above "Low" settings smoothly with your setup you're getting better performance than advertised. Time to upgrade that GPU.

Thanks for the advice.

I need to check, but probably the new VGA generation will have bottleneck with my CPU generation.

Best regards.

A thought.

Right now, we have fully released 1.5, Beta 1.5.8 and Alpha 2.1.

I can't imagine that we're going to jump to Alpha 2.5 and suddenly lose the beta and fully released versions.

Chances are that 1.5 is still going to soldier on for a bit longer yet, the key difference being that I'm assuming that 2.5 beta will allow players to use the Caucausus map without needing to buy scenery.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

A thought.

Right now, we have fully released 1.5, Beta 1.5.8 and Alpha 2.1.

I can't imagine that we're going to jump to Alpha 2.5 and suddenly lose the beta and fully released versions.

Chances are that 1.5 is still going to soldier on for a bit longer yet, the key difference being that I'm assuming that 2.5 beta will allow players to use the Caucausus map without needing to buy scenery.

The current version of the Caucasus map only. New version of Caucasus will only be available in 2.5+ iirc due to requiring the new terrain technology.

The current version of the Caucasus map only. New version of Caucasus will only be available in 2.5+ iirc due to requiring the new terrain technology.

Agreed.

My assumption/expectation being that players can use Caucasus on either 2.5 beta, or 1.5 full release.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

anti-aliasing 8x, anisotropic filtering 16x and resolution 1080p

Keep in mind that running DCS 2.x with Deferred Shading enabled, anti-aliasing in it's current form (MSAA) offered as an option in DCS, is a very bad idea, regardless of your system configuration. There are some very detailed technical explanations than can be found here on the forum.

Flight simulators in general are very demanding pieces of software, because of "draw call overhead".

DCS 2.x having a more recent graphics engine, will also require a more recent hardware configuration compared to 1.5 . A GTX770 simply won't do, I'm afraid...

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

2.5 should be released in a week

Within 2 months - from the new ED Facebook page(IIRC)

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

SilentSierra, I wouldn't worry about bottlenecks, I was until recently using VR on an X58 chipset with i7 920 overclocked to 3.5GHz, 12 GB of RAM and a GTX 1070. Yes, I was using a PCIe 3.0 card in a PCIe 2.0 slot. The 920 simply got old and died, I now have an i5 7500 with 16GB of RAM everything else is the exact same hardware, just more SSDs, the performance in VR isn't noticeably different.

I'm running a GTX980 and have an i7 4770K - I think you'll be just fine upgrading your GPU. :)

Did you had good FPS rates with this VGA with medium/high settings over Las Vegas and Normandy?

In Brazil, this VGA costs almost a month of my salary. I need the best choice for the next years in cost/benefit matters.

PS: I know it's my problem, I get it, whatever.

Edited by SilentSierra
Grammatical fixes

Did you had good FPS rates with this VGA with medium/high settings over Las Vegas and Normandy?

In Brazil, this VGA costs almost a month of my salary. I need the best choice for the next years in cost/benefit matters.

PS: I know it's my problem, I get it, whatever.

holy carp... buy some video cards and ship them to you guys, :pilotfly:

ASUS Strix Z790-H, i9-13900, WartHog HOTAS and MFG Crosswind

G.Skill 64 GB Ram, 2TB SSD

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

55" Sony OLED TV, Oculus VR

Within 2 months - from the new ED Facebook page(IIRC)

No, it was posted that "we are just weeks away"... Could mean 2 months sure, but they chose to use the word "weeks" not "months" :)

GPU: PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3080 10GB | CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 4,9GHz | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3000MHz
VR: HP Reverb G2 | HOTAS: TM Warthog Throttle and Stick

Keep in mind that running DCS 2.x with Deferred Shading enabled, anti-aliasing in it's current form (MSAA) offered as an option in DCS, is a very bad idea, regardless of your system configuration. There are some very detailed technical explanations than can be found here on the forum.

Flight simulators in general are very demanding pieces of software, because of "draw call overhead".

DCS 2.x having a more recent graphics engine, will also require a more recent hardware configuration compared to 1.5 . A GTX770 simply won't do, I'm afraid...

So you're saying if you run DS you should completely turn MSAA off? Does it just reduce frames or does turning MSAA actually have a negative impact on graphics quality?

No, it was posted that "we are just weeks away"... Could mean 2 months sure, but they chose to use the word "weeks" not "months" :)

Until the Facebook comment from Wags yesterday or the day before where he said "In a time less than 2 months from now"...so, he's 100% correct in what he said.

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig: