Polish Su-22 New site

Kusch

Very nice site! Too bad I can't read anything, looks interesting. But the pictures are great :)

I always had a sweet spot for the Su-17/22. In many way it is a similar plane as the Su-25, but with much better performance. Same weapons, and I think the earlyer Su-17 also had the same avionics as the Su-25 ( later Su-17/22 additionaly have a TV display for Kh-29T ). I think of the Fitter as a Frog with afterburner :)

I once read that the west for a long time smiled about the Fitter, thinking of it as a old design not much better than the Su-9. Only when the wall has fallen the west realised what a superb fighter-bomber the east would have send against them if things got hot.

Don't know if the payload thing is so important. The Su-25 in Afghanistan usualy didn't carry more than 4x S-24 or 4x FAB-250 ( plus fuel tanks ) in order to keep fligh performance up. Im sure the Su-17 can haul that load aswell.

In absolute terms the maximum weapons load for the Su-25 is 4400kg and 3500kg for the Su-17.

As far as battle damage goes, the Su-25 is for sure superior, altough I heard that the Su-17 is very tough aswell. On the other hand, the Su-17 is alot faster wich should also make it harder to hit.

The Su-22 is indeed a great aircraft. The pictures of it's afterburner made me remember what an earthquake is makes when passes over. I first saw it in airshow in 1997 and in 2002 for the last time. In 2005 our Air Force grounded all the fleet(18 Su-22M4 and 3 Su-22UM3) for good along with the MiG-23MLD and the MiG-23BN a couple of years earlier. Pretty stupid actions but that's what the politcs are for...

Untill when the Polish Air Force is planning to use them Kusch?

"See, to me that's a stupid instrument. It tells what your angle of attack is. If you don't know you shouldn't be flying." - Chuck Yeager, from the back seat of F-15D at age 89.

=RvE=

The war teather is the key. The Su-22 has had serious troubles in the high mountain valeys in Afghanistan where maneuverability is extremely important. Initialy it has been intended to operate in Europe where the terrain is flat mostly but in the Afghan mountains the high speed hasn't been of any good use when it has had to identify and attack a sread group of few mojaheds. The experience with the Su-22 in Afghanistan has a huge impact over the Su-25's developement and when the Frogfoot has entered the action it has totaly replaced the Su-22 in CAS role. The last version Su-22M4 has much better avionics and cockpit ergonomy than the Su-25. It's strength is in the role of tactical bomber and recon a/c.

"See, to me that's a stupid instrument. It tells what your angle of attack is. If you don't know you shouldn't be flying." - Chuck Yeager, from the back seat of F-15D at age 89.

=RvE=

For the large scale war in europe the Su-17 was indeed the better aircraft, that is why so few Su-25 were actualy stationed there.

It is kind of interesting, if there wouldn't have been the asymetric war in Afghanistan, the Su-25 programm could be called a failure. The Su-25s intended role - Shturmovik type ground support - has been sucessfully taken over be the Mi-24 even before the Frog was fielded. And in the attack role the Su-17 is the superior aircraft.

Cool site and pictures Good Job! Su22.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Abit IS7-E2 MB

P4 3.06 GHZ Prescott Hyper Threading CPU 800Mhz FSB

2 Gigs Corasir XMS DDR2 Dual Chanel Ram

Geforce 7800 GS CO 256MB DDR3 AGP 8X Video Card Forceware Driver 93.71 11/2/06

Audigy 4 Sound Card

500W Coller masters PSU

Logitech Extreme 3D pro

It would be nice if the Polish Su22 was added as one of the flyable planes for LOMAC/Flaming Cliffs.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Abit IS7-E2 MB

P4 3.06 GHZ Prescott Hyper Threading CPU 800Mhz FSB

2 Gigs Corasir XMS DDR2 Dual Chanel Ram

Geforce 7800 GS CO 256MB DDR3 AGP 8X Video Card Forceware Driver 93.71 11/2/06

Audigy 4 Sound Card

500W Coller masters PSU

Logitech Extreme 3D pro

• 3 weeks later...