Telemetry without target designation

*Aquila*

CCIP works without target designation for bombs, rockets and the GAU-12. The range arc works without target designation on the gun and rocket reticles. A simple question: how is the telemetry assured when nothing is designated by the DMT nor the INS? CCIP needs telemetry. As does the range arc, obviously.

Just remember the phrase "work in progress", and assume it is simply a way to allow bombs to be deployed without the full supporting infrastructure.

I already own a 3rd party module in which the air to ground telemetry is provided by God himself: the MiG-21 Bis from Magnitude 3 LLC (ex-LNS). And I don't appreciate that in a so-called hardcore module. So, with all due respect, I can't accept an answer such as yours if it doesn't come from the dev team, who knows better than you and me what is WIP and what is not.

The input data will come from the INS/nav computer which isn't modeled in the EA version, but will in the final version, it works in the same way as the A-10. As for the MiG-21, AFAIK there is no CCIP mode, it used a gyro sight for dropping munitions, which is modeled.

As for the MiG-21, AFAIK there is no CCIP mode, it used a gyro sight for dropping munitions, which is modeled.

It used a gyro sight, which is modeled. But whatever the altitude, the speed and the attitude, where the dot is, the bomb hits. Which is pure BS. That's why I'd like to know what's going on with the AV-8B, and how it will be when WIP is over.

Edited by *Aquila*

After a bit of research into the MiG-21, it uses a mix of gyro sighting system and radar rangefinding, using simple maths you can get very accurate data on where the bomb will hit, if you add wind and drop from higher altitudes then you will find you will be further off target as there is no wind correction.

I dare say, from what other devs have said, that ED's QA policy means that any systems modeled must be backed up by evidence by the 3rd party to ensure it is being simulated correctly. So the I am confident that the ARBS will be well modeled in the AV-8, and if the A-10 is anything to go by, then you will not always hit your intended target, as you won't right now provided you add wind.

Without wind it is a very simple calculation, so quite simply, in the mission editor add a sensible amount of wind at the different levels and you will suddenly find your bombs going off target. In all aircraft, unless you are using precision guided munitions.

I've noticed that when bombing in the mountains using CCIP that if I don't designate first then the bombs are inaccurate. On flat ground with little target elevation change relative to aircraft elevation the bombs are much more accurate. I assumed that this is due to data from the INS being used for CCIP.

Yes. You need to designate a target with the DMT to calculate its altitude for CCIP modes. I believe the weapons delivery system uses sea level otherwise, which works for most of the Georgia theater but not a lot otherwise.

Black Shark, Harrier, and Hornet pilot

Many Words - Serial Fiction | Ka-50 Employment Guide | Ka-50 Avionics Cheat Sheet | Multiplayer Shooting Range Mission