Harrier Training Missions

baltic_dragon

As this comes back as a recurring question, with agreement with RAZBAM I am posting some more information about the training missions for the Harrier:

1. There will be two sets of interactive and fully voiced - over training missions included with the module. One in NTTR and one in Caucasus.

2. Both will cover the basics, though some content will differ (for instance the shipborne operations practice will only be available in Caucasus)

3. For mission design I am in touch with people with first - hand experience with the Harrier, so we'll make them as realistic as possible in DCS environment.

4. ETA - once the module is out of EA. In order to build good training missions most of the systems have to be fully modeled.

5. The missions will be added as they are released, so there will be no need to wait for the whole package. They will first appear here and later will be added to the module with subsequent updates.

6. This is just an idea at the moment - the missions will be released as longer sorties for those, who want to do more, but also split into shorter ones. Example:

Training mission 2: startup - taxi - rolling take off - simple waypoint navigation - normal landing - shutdown (this will be as one mission)

But also, in training, shorter parts of it will be available, so:

M02A. Startup

M02B. Taxi and take off

M02C. Simple navigation

M02D. Landing and shutdown - reviewing this part, as it turned out that going this way and also keeping separate missions may turn to a complete nightmare when it comes to updating them, I'll need to check / think some more about it.

DISCLAIMER: this list is based on real - life operating procedures and may be adjusted to DCS needs, depending on which functions will be modelled in the final version of the plane. Everything here is subject to change.

LINK TO THE MOST UP-TO-DATE SET OF TRAINING MISSIONS

Edited by baltic_dragon
ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

Great, sounds good. I agree that some training in NTTR will make it more real.

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass, Asus ROG Maximus IX Hero, Intel i7 7700K @ 4.8, Corsair HX 1000i, Nzxt Kraken 62, 32gb DDR4 3000Mhz Corsair Dominator Platinum, Nvme SSD Samsung 960 Evo 1Tb, Asus Strix OC 1080ti, Philips 43" 4K Monitor + 2 x Dell 24" U2414H, Warthog HOTAS, Track IR 5, Obutto R3volution, Buttkicker Gamer 2, MFG Crosswind pedals, Occulus Rift CV1, Windows 10 Pro.

This!

Hope to see some training missions that include VTOL as well. :thumbup:

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Might I suggest doing a heavy gross weight one? Showing how the jet behaves when maxed out.

That's the plan, obviously take offs and landings will take a lot of space for this bird. We need both light and heavy ones. And good deal of AAR training, as it is a must for realistic missions with carrier ops, unless one is OK with a very very short vul time or no weapons :)

Yup. To be honest, there is no way of doing a really realistic training in DCS, as even pilots coming back to Harrier from B-ticket and needing to refresh their skills would use a TAV-8B version for this... but at least we will get to the real thing as much as possible in NTTR :)

This!

Hope to see some training missions that include VTOL as well. :thumbup:

Yes. All kinds of take offs and landings will be taught & practiced.

So looking forward to those missions! I like the concept of offering small trainings, too. As planning to wait for the Harrier to come out of EA before starting to learn it, it's even perfect timing for me.

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

As this comes back as a recurring question, with agreement with RAZBAM I am posting some more information about the training missions for the Harrier:

1. There will be two sets of interactive and fully voiced - over training missions included with the module. One in NTTR and one in Caucasus.

2. Both will cover the basics, though some content will differ (for instance the shipborne operations practice will only be available in Caucasus)

3. For mission design I am in touch with people with first - hand experience with the Harrier, so we'll make them as realistic as possible in DCS environment.

4. ETA - once the module is out of EA. In order to build good training missions most of the systems have to be fully modeled.

5. The missions will be added as they are released, so there will be no need to wait for the whole package. They will first appear here and later will be added to the module with subsequent updates.

6. This is just an idea at the moment - the missions will be released as longer sorties for those, who want to do more, but also split into shorter ones. Example:

Training mission 2: startup - taxi - rolling take off - simple waypoint navigation - normal landing - shutdown (this will be as one mission)

But also, in training, shorter parts of it will be available, so:

M02A. Startup

M02B. Taxi and take off

M02C. Simple navigation

M02D. Landing and shutdown

Let me know what you think guys!

I think:

I love you

The idea of splitting longer missions into shorter ones is awesome. I really enjoy longer missions on the weekend, but it's really nice if you just want to practice a specific part to be able to just jump in that specific part of the mission by selecting the short version of it :thumbup:

Very well thought through

Main Module: AH-64D

Personal Wishlist: HH-60G, F-117A, B-52H

M02B

-Conventional Takeoff

-Short Takeoff

-Rolling Vertical Takeoff

-Vertical Takeoff

M02D

-Conventional Landing

-Slow Landing

- Auto Flap Fixed Nozzle

- STOL Flap Fixed Nozzle

- Auto Flap Variable Nozzle

- STOL Flap Variable Nozzle

-Rolling Vertical Landing

-Vertical Landing

:joystick:

Mongol-29 [sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

M02B

-Conventional Takeoff

-Short Takeoff

-Rolling Vertical Takeoff

-Vertical Takeoff

M02D

-Conventional Landing

-Slow Landing

- Auto Flap Fixed Nozzle

- STOL Flap Fixed Nozzle

- Auto Flap Variable Nozzle

- STOL Flap Variable Nozzle

-Rolling Vertical Landing

-Vertical Landing

:joystick:

Yup, will try to cover all. Though some will be tougher to do in NTTR than Caucasus.

You know you have my support for anything you want to create. And I’m always available to help create/test new missions. You know how to reach me. :)

Roger that, I've got you on my list of people to pester about voiceovers, prepare to hear from me :D

Baltic please keep us updated as our squadron can use these to help out new pilots to the Harrier....Will be watching this thread closely..Salute!

Roger, wilco :thumbup:

• 1 month later...
Until the formal training mission are released, you can go to YouTube "DCS AV8B" and find training is just about all the currently active systems on the aircraft. Poster "Shiftie Mover" is a good source.

RedKite and Maverick have some good ones too!

Thanks - Had already found the RedKite videos - just taking a look at Shifite Mover now :)

I've just bought the Harrier module

Hook has some fantastic training missions for the AV-8B N/A, look in the description for a dropbox link to the files, place in your saved games/missions folder.

i7 8086K(Delidded@5.2),ASUS ROG Maximus X Formula Z370,Gigabyte AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition, 32GB DDR4,860 Pro SSD x2,970 Pro M.2, 840 Evo, Asus ROG PG278Q G-Sync.. Rift S:pilotfly:https://imgur.com/a/TRIm7nL

Hook has some fantastic training missions for the AV-8B N/A, look in the description for a dropbox link to the files, place in your saved games/missions folder.

Those are great videos.

Nice and relaxed speech plus missions as well. Subbed and will download.

Thanks @Hook

I've just bought the Harrier module - I normally fly the Spitfire and Huey - so some training missions will be a boon and I'd definitely be interested in purchasing them.

What timeframe are you looking to release these in?

Hey!

The missions will be free, and will be added as soon as I can create them, i.e. the module enters beta stage with all the systems functional. Otherwise I will end up doing training with parts that don’t function and I don’t want to go down that road, as end users are usually unhappy and I have twice as much work on updates, changes, new voice overs etc... so unfortunately you will have to wait a little longer, but there will be a good set of fully interactive missions.

• 3 weeks later...
Hey!

The missions will be free, and will be added as soon as I can create them, i.e. the module enters beta stage with all the systems functional. Otherwise I will end up doing training with parts that don’t function and I don’t want to go down that road, as end users are usually unhappy and I have twice as much work on updates, changes, new voice overs etc... so unfortunately you will have to wait a little longer, but there will be a good set of fully interactive missions.

Waiting for them guys! I will fly it like a noob until you release them XD. Will they come before Hornet? Who knows XD

Chinook lover - Rober -

• 4 weeks later...