Harrier Training Missions

baltic_dragon

Hey guys,

I've updated the first post with the list of planned training missions. Starting to work on them, but their availability will be subjected to modelling of different systems (in other words, I will release the given mission only when all the systems required to properly fly it are in place and fully functional).

If you have any questions, shoot.

M01: Introduction and Cockpit Orientation

M02: Cold Start

M03: Takeoff and Basic Handling

M04: Conventional Landing

M05: Short Takeoff and Landing (STOL)

M06: Vertical Takeoff and Landing

M07: Aerial Refueling

M08: FARP Operations

M09: LHA Case I Landing and Takeoff

M10: Advanced Handling

M11: Navigation (TACAN and Waypoint)

M12: Stores Management

M13: Dual-Mode Tracker, ARBS/TV, and AN/AAQ-28 LITENING II

M14: GAU-12/U and Unguided Rockets

M15: General Purpose Bombs

M16: Precision-Guided Munitions

M17: AGM-65 Maverick & AGM-122 Sidearm

M18: Air-to-air

M19: Night Systems

M20: Countermeasures

DISCLAIMER: this list is based on real - life operating procedures and may be adjusted to DCS needs, depending on which functions will be modelled in the final version of the plane. Everything here is subject to change.

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

A very comprehensive list, i believe it would be the longest training series on any DCS aircraft :)

May I suggest that the air refueling mision should be after the one on navigation, so that Tacan can be used to find the tanker.

Best regards,

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Hey guys,

I've updated the first post with the list of planned training missions. Starting to work on them, but their availability will be subjected to modelling of different systems (in other words, I will release the given mission only when all the systems required to properly fly it are in place and fully functional).

DISCLAIMER: this list is based on real - life operating procedures and may be adjusted to DCS needs, depending on which functions will be modelled in the final version of the plane. Everything here is subject to change.

Looking forward to those...

Great module by the way....

Mainboard: ASUS Maximus X Hero Intel Z 370

CPU: Intel Core i7-8086K @ 4.0 GHz

Memory: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4-3000

Graphics Card: ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10GB

Monitor ASUS PA 329 32" @ 4K

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 256 GB

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 4 TB

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

CH Pro combatstick, throttle and pedals

Hey guys,

This aircraft is on my wish list.

However, I take it that the above listed missions can not be fully performed, due to the fact that the systems required to fly them are not fully functional so the aircraft can not be flown properly?

As an early access beta it's a shame it's priced at $69!:cry:

With the impending release of the Hornet, I fear the Harrier sim may fall behind and be placed on the back burner.:(

Best regards.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]i7 Haswell @ 4.6Ghz, Z97p, GTX1080, 32GB DDR3, x3SSD, Win7/64, professional. 32" BenQ, TIR 5, Saitek x55 HOTAS.

Search User Files for "herky" for my uploaded missions. My flight sim videos on You Tube. https://www.youtube.com/user/David Herky

This aircraft is on my wish list.

However, I take it that the above listed missions can not be fully performed, due to the fact that the systems required to fly them are not fully functional so the aircraft can not be flown properly?

As an early access beta it's a shame it's priced at $69!:cry:

With the impending release of the Hornet, I fear the Harrier sim may fall behind and be placed on the back burner.:(

Best regards.

It is true that not all of the training missions can be fully done at this stage. I will not be releasing them in chronological order, but focus first that can be fully built and add the rest as the module gets more complete. That way everyone will have things to do while waiting for the most advanced stuff to come :)

May I suggest that the air refueling mision should be after the one on navigation, so that Tacan can be used to find the tanker.

Agreed, in fact, doing Aerial Refueling as the 7th mission after your 'basic' flying missions seems quite.. early to say the least.

''Greed is a bottomless pit which exhausts the person in an endless effort to satisfy the need without ever reaching satisfaction.''

Erich Fromm

Agreed, in fact, doing Aerial Refueling as the 7th mission after your 'basic' flying missions seems quite.. early to say the least.

Not really for an aircraft that has short legs to start with and is based off a carrier with limited weight restrictions. They will probably refuel as soon as they are formed up or at some point on every mission.

So it would be prudent to have the AAR skill earlier rather than later.

My $.02 :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

Not really for an aircraft that has short legs to start with and is based off a carrier with limited weight restrictions. They will probably refuel as soon as they are formed up or at some point on every mission.

So it would be prudent to have the AAR skill earlier rather than later.

My $.02 :D

Good point! I guess people are not forced to do them in a particular order anyway but it still feels odd. Maybe its my student behaviour of trying to delay the hard things and do the easy ones first..

''Greed is a bottomless pit which exhausts the person in an endless effort to satisfy the need without ever reaching satisfaction.''

Erich Fromm

• 3 weeks later...

Update - I've included some updates in the first post as to the progress and will do so on a regular basis. I will also post the missions that are ready for testing by you guys before I finalize them and send to RAZBAM.

As mentioned before, one important thing: these will be released once all the systems and functions necessary for the given mission are in the module. Which means that I won't keep the chronological order and rather focus on the ones that can be easily built.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking forward to these for sure! I know the hornet is coming but I haven't flown much of the harrier yet so I'm excited.

They will be worth the wait knowing your work!

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

• 2 weeks later...

Right now I would be happy with a cold and dark start and a takeoff training lesson, I can wait on the rest. I know there are youtube videos out there but its not the same.

Intel i7 6700k OC 4.7ghz

Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero Motherboard

Zotac GTX980ti 6GB Amp Extreme

32 GB DDR4 3200 RAM

Oculus Rift CV1

Thrustmaster Warthog

Right now I would be happy with a cold and dark start and a takeoff training lesson, I can wait on the rest. I know there are youtube videos out there but its not the same.

Unfortunately there are still some systems, tests, indications, and MPCD pages that need to be implemented before an accurate cold and dark start or takeoff lesson can be built.

It is true that not all of the training missions can be fully done at this stage. I will not be releasing them in chronological order, but focus first that can be fully built and add the rest as the module gets more complete. That way everyone will have things to do while waiting for the most advanced stuff to come :)

I just bought the pre release Hornet, before the Harrier! Even though the Harrier is flyable right now.

I am thinking that when the training missions are out, then the Harrier will be completed.

Although there are plenty of videos out which describe the available features, quite a few features are still in development in those videos. This leads me to think the aircraft is not yet complete enough for me to justify splashing out the $69.

If scripted training missions can't be done because the features arn't finished, the aircraft isn't ready for me to buy.:music_whistling:

Looks like everyone will be busy with the Hornet in a couple of weeks, hope the missing bits can be put in the Harrier soon, then I can learn to fly it properly with training missions.

Best regards.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]i7 Haswell @ 4.6Ghz, Z97p, GTX1080, 32GB DDR3, x3SSD, Win7/64, professional. 32" BenQ, TIR 5, Saitek x55 HOTAS.

Search User Files for "herky" for my uploaded missions. My flight sim videos on You Tube. https://www.youtube.com/user/David Herky

I just bought the pre release Hornet, before the Harrier! Even though the Harrier is flyable right now.

I am thinking that when the training missions are out, then the Harrier will be completed.

Although there are plenty of videos out which describe the available features, quite a few features are still in development in those videos. This leads me to think the aircraft is not yet complete enough for me to justify splashing out the $69.

If scripted training missions can't be done because the features arn't finished, the aircraft isn't ready for me to buy.:music_whistling:

Looks like everyone will be busy with the Hornet in a couple of weeks, hope the missing bits can be put in the Harrier soon, then I can learn to fly it properly with training missions.

Best regards.

This makes sense seeing how the hornet will come with training misisons which should be as decent as the A10c ones and like 20 instant action misisons in early access. I believe Matt mentioned more training misisons may be added later too.

But once Baltic gets them done they will be very much worth it!

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Hey Accipiter,

Harrier is already fun to fly but you are right, some features are missing - and there is no point in making a full training mission until these are in. For instance the GPS/INS alignment is not functional yet together with several pre-flight checks and tests (and trust me, there are A LOT of those for Harrier). So I need to wait for these main things to be implemented. I still prepare everything based on real life operating manuals so things will be ready to go as soon as they are added to the module by RAZBAM, unless their use is limited by the game engine.

Sometimes several missions rely on one system - a perfect example here is the VREST page calculating aircraft weight, required trim, fuel use etc etc. You need to manually enter information provided by VREST before any type of take off, so all take off and landing missions (except conventional landing one which is ready, but this type of landing is considered an emergency type for the AV-8) need to wait for it to be implemented. And it can be only when other parts are finished... so yes, if you want full experience wait for the Open Beta stage. You won’t regret getting the Harrier though, it is very different than anything else.

As for the quality of training missions in development I am in touch with several people with first hand experience in flying and maintaining the Harrier so expect high quality and detailed information.

Sorry for the typos. writing on a phone.

This makes sense seeing how the hornet will come with training misisons which should be as decent as the A10c ones and like 20 instant action misisons in early access. I believe Matt mentioned more training misisons may be added later too.

But once Baltic gets them done they will be very much worth it!

Thanks. You will get 20 full fledged missions (probably half at open beta and the rest soon after) plus several variations of many of them (night, day, crosswinds etc). So the total number may well reach 40 or so.

Have you guys tried the Harrier Facebook groups for info? I worked on the jet for 15 years & there’s a few pilots on there who may have info that you’ll find useful.

Is there any update on training missions release date?

Hey Madeyes! That is an excellent suggestion, I will try to join (if virtual experience counts) ;) we already are in touch with people with first-hand experience with the jet and wekre trying to include their feedback into the training as much as the DCS engine allows, but more contacts like this are always better. Thanks for the idea!

As for the release date - a LOT is dependent on the progress on the module itself. Once things are added only then it is possible to check how they work and include them in the missions. Things like INS or VREST page are important for all take off training missions etc. I think that due to this limitation realistically I will be able to deliver first 10 missions once the plane hits Open Beta and the rest soon after.

I don’t want to release unfinished versions that would later be updated, as I believe that would be counter-productive. If you train, do it properly from A-Z.

Cheers,

BD

• 2 weeks later...

Great job to date! Although I’m no fighter pilot, I fly light aircraft for fun and have to say the harrier is very realistic in feel compared to other modules. I can tell when effort has been made by 3rd party developers and it certainly has here! Although I like action packed homemade missions, even performing routine stuff like circuits in this is great fun! It’s great to see the real limitations on weight for STOL has been implemented! That’s why the safety record in real life was quite poor! Combat pilots planning for maximum ordnance weight and balancing with fuel! A heavy weapons weight is fine if you have a full size runway, however if you are operating from a FARP you will need to RTB more often to refuel and rearm!

I’m from Belfast N.Ireland. We have the second made SC1 prototype on display here in Belfast which was the second successful STOL craft flown in 1957! So this one is close to home for us Irish guys!

Edited by Irishlad200000

I don’t want to release unfinished versions that would later be updated, as I believe that would be counter-productive. If you train, do it properly from A-Z.

Well, on the other hand this would mean that we have to wait for the training missions till the Harrier is prety much out of OB, which we can safelly assume will be at least a year from now.

The easier, step by step learning curve was always an argument for eraly access modules. In reality everyone is doing a trainings already and learning new features as they are being added. Because however the module is incompleate and it's not possible to experience it fully it's easy to learn things in a wrong way. For that reason having the training missions is even more important. Another aspect is that at the moment peple new to the plane are left for the most part with the youtube videos. Obviously there are a good ones but also some for which the flow is mostly "lets flip those switches up".

Yes there are the NATOPS manuals but they are not always so easy to understand. In reality you're not left with a manual to "go figure it out yourself" but there are instructors that are teaching the pilots. That's why having training missions would help a lot even If some steps have to be added later due to the missing functionality.

Anyway, just a few cents from myside. I'm actually now in process of learning the Harrier as I waited since the release till the module matures more and have to admit that a training missions would save a lot of time and confusion. So far for instance I'm not able to figure out how exactly the VTOL, running VTOL, STOL and convensional take off should be executed. The checklist are not that clear at all and for the most part look the same.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

Thanks firmek.

I am not saying that I want to release all the missions only once Harrier is ready - some of them are already built and being tested. I do intend to release them as they're good to go (so in the first instance: After entering cockpit checklist, conventional landing and air to air refuelling).

But I really don't want to release unfinished ones and then change them because honestly it is a lot of extra and unnecessary work.. I've done that with Mirage and I don't think I want to repeat it. RAZBAM is hard at work with adding features and I am sure I will be able to give you missions one by one.

Razbam should do like the ED is doing with the Hornet...coding base systems for doing a well done training (so avionics, ins etc) and then combat systems later...so us could do a coherent training and not unlearn what is learned...

Hope they will consider this for future modules...and it is not criticism (in fact i love both Mirage and Av8b) but just an advice

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png