Harrier Training Missions

baltic_dragon

• 2 weeks later...
Back from holidays & back to work on this, ladies and gents!

I bought the harrier some time ago, but haven't really used to as I have ben waiting on the training missions to materialise.

Can I just ask what subjects are planned. I note from the initial check list mission that you mention countermeasures, navigation and cold start tutorials, but will we have take off, landing, and all weapons ones as well?

Just a side note, could you please introduce a 'space bar to continue' approach, as in the checklist tutorial, replaying it becomes quite tedious, as you have to listen over and over again to the - sometimes lengthy - technical voice over before moving on. The first couple of times is great, but it would be great if it could be moved on by hitting spacebar at any point during the voice rather than waiting till the end.

Thanks, and looking forward to your next missions.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Hey, I didn't build those and am focusing on the normal training. Perhaps I'll have a look at them later on.

Any chance of a reply to my post above #104? Thanks.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I bought the harrier some time ago, but haven't really used to as I have ben waiting on the training missions to materialise.

Can I just ask what subjects are planned. I note from the initial check list mission that you mention countermeasures, navigation and cold start tutorials, but will we have take off, landing, and all weapons ones as well?

Just a side note, could you please introduce a 'space bar to continue' approach, as in the checklist tutorial, replaying it becomes quite tedious, as you have to listen over and over again to the - sometimes lengthy - technical voice over before moving on. The first couple of times is great, but it would be great if it could be moved on by hitting spacebar at any point during the voice rather than waiting till the end.

Thanks, and looking forward to your next missions.

Hey - sorry, read it but then forgot to reply.

So, as for the subjects that will be covered, the full list is in the first post. It has been constructed together with some experienced people in the USMC and is following the normal training procedures and orders for the Harriers (minus dozens of trainings that help you deal with emergencies, many of which we cannot reproduce in DCS). So there will be all take offs and landings covered: conventional, short and vertical + carrier handling. For those I am waiting for the VREST page to be finished (and some other stuff), but I know the guys are quite close to having it done (and it looks like a real b**ch to code, at least to the inexperienced guy, when you look at all the variables there!).

Weapons too, I should be shortly able to release the Mavericks and Siderams + guns and rockets ones, again following the real life procedures (Raked Range Pattern etc.). They are almost ready. Then also General Purpose Bombs (M15), Precision Guided Munitions (M16), Air to Air combat (M18) and countermeasures + RWR in M20.

As for the Space Bar - I'd prefer not to do that, due to the fact that SPACE BAR option is constructed in a way which could lead you to unwillingly skipping to many parts of the training if you pressed it too many times for whatever reason. It also makes scripting the triggers more difficult. I'd follow good advice that Sryan gave and use time compression to advance further.

Plus, as you have most probably noticed in the missions that are already released, I will include shorter versions of each mission. Take the AAR for example - there is a full mission with take off, instructions about fuel systems etc, but you can also choose one starting almost directly behind the tanker for practice + you can even choose the one with bad weather conditions or at night. I'll try to follow this pattern wherever possible for all the missions.

Shoot if you have any further questions!

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

Hey - sorry, read it but then forgot to reply.

So, as for the subjects that will be covered, the full list is in the first post. It has been constructed together with some experienced people in the USMC and is following the normal training procedures and orders for the Harriers (minus dozens of trainings that help you deal with emergencies, many of which we cannot reproduce in DCS). So there will be all take offs and landings covered: conventional, short and vertical + carrier handling. For those I am waiting for the VREST page to be finished (and some other stuff), but I know the guys are quite close to having it done (and it looks like a real b**ch to code, at least to the inexperienced guy, when you look at all the variables there!).

Weapons too, I should be shortly able to release the Mavericks and Siderams + guns and rockets ones, again following the real life procedures (Raked Range Pattern etc.). They are almost ready. Then also General Purpose Bombs (M15), Precision Guided Munitions (M16), Air to Air combat (M18) and countermeasures + RWR in M20.

As for the Space Bar - I'd prefer not to do that, due to the fact that SPACE BAR option is constructed in a way which could lead you to unwillingly skipping to many parts of the training if you pressed it too many times for whatever reason. It also makes scripting the triggers more difficult. I'd follow good advice that Sryan gave and use time compression to advance further.

Plus, as you have most probably noticed in the missions that are already released, I will include shorter versions of each mission. Take the AAR for example - there is a full mission with take off, instructions about fuel systems etc, but you can also choose one starting almost directly behind the tanker for practice + you can even choose the one with bad weather conditions or at night. I'll try to follow this pattern wherever possible for all the missions.

Shoot if you have any further questions!

Thank you very much for such a detailed reply.

I somehow missed the list in the first post. That looks amazingly comprehensive. I can't wait for them to be released and get properly stuck into the Harrier.

Regarding the Space Bar thing, I know what you mean, but for things like startup checklists, etc. I think it works well. Other modules I have feature the ability to press Space Bar to move on at any time, and it works well in the right circumstances.

Keep up the great work!

Great missions!

Love the multiple versions (Long, Short, Cross Wind, ect...). Voice overs are top notch. The information is on topic and relevant.

I love the placement of the "space bar triggers" and the fact that instructions don't disappear until the trainee hits the space bar. I have yet to break any of the missions, and I normally break them all.

Great work, look forward to more.

Night Ops in the Harrier

IYAOYAS

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
The Harrier is now in a state where I can work on most of them, making good progress and hoping to release a whole bunch, though can't give any deadlines yet!
Purchased the AV8B harrier during the autumn sales.

I will be looking forward to seeing the much needed training missions to enjoy this aircraft.

God's speed on your work on the training missions Baltic_dragon

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

Purchased the AV8B harrier during the autumn sales.

I will be looking forward to seeing the much needed training missions to enjoy this aircraft.

God's speed on your work on the training missions Baltic_dragon

+1

Can't wait to see more of these interactive training missions :thumbup:

I know there already are plenty of very instructive youtube videos, but the best way to learn everything is by actually doing it. (Also, as vr only user, switching from youtube to dcs is a big pita :P)

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

+1 cant wait for this. Just got the Harrier on the Winter Sale and the lack of interactive training missions are a downer. Easiest way to learn by far. But also understand that the module basically needs to be at least feature complete before training missions could be released, unless you donw mind reworking the missions every update...

GPU: PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3080 10GB | CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 4,9GHz | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3000MHz
VR: HP Reverb G2 | HOTAS: TM Warthog Throttle and Stick

Hey guys, working hard on those - half way through Navigation, and it is a long one.

Sounds great!

No pressure, just asking, any ETA on the interactive cold start training?

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

I just finished it yesterday, need to do some tests and prepare the checklists, but soon. Two features are still not implemented in the sim but I think I won’t be waiting for them.
Good job Baltic_dragon. Looking forward to it.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset