Harrier Training Missions

baltic_dragon

No, that is not correct. The order is fixed by BD. It’sa fairly trivial task to re order them. You could do it yourself if you wanted to edit the lua file and the mission names.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Guys, the order of the training missions is not random at all - it is based on the FSG. The problem is that a lot of stuff in real life is covered before in academics etc so some of the gaps are filled then (mainly the basics). Still, nothing prevents you to fly the missions in any order you want. But the one I propose is based on RL training procedures.

• Like 1
ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

BD, obviously, they are your missions and you can do whatever you like! I think all we are saying - as around post #232 here - is that in DCS it is more conventionsal to have the order as

- cockpit overview

- cold start

- take off

- navigation

- landing

- weapons

- countermeasures.

A generalisation, but pretty much correct.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

• 2 weeks later...
BD, obviously, they are your missions and you can do whatever you like! I think all we are saying - as around post #232 here - is that in DCS it is more conventionsal to have the order as

- cockpit overview

- cold start

- take off

- navigation

- landing

- weapons

- countermeasures.

A generalisation, but pretty much correct.

I dont see how the manner in which the lessons are set out at all a problem. Quite the opposite TBH. All seems very well laid out and logical. The shortened version are a great addition and whilst, by the third of fouth hot ramp start I felt like giving a very swift single finger to the 5 finger checks, I get that them being there help to reenforce stuff and also help those dipping straight in to avoid stuffing it up.

Dip in Dip out. All titled clearly so again very easy to go straight to the point you want.

The only thing i really have to say is that the guy on the final CMs tutorial (a different voice to the rest) occasionally dips very close to sounding like Laobi. Not sure if i got to the end of that one feeling relieved or disappointed at not hearing a purile joke about my mum.

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

I dont see how the manner in which the lessons are set out at all a problem. Quite the opposite TBH. All seems very well laid out and logical. The shortened version are a great addition and whilst, by the third of fouth hot ramp start I felt like giving a very swift single finger to the 5 finger checks, I get that them being there help to reenforce stuff and also help those dipping straight in to avoid stuffing it up.

Dip in Dip out. All titled clearly so again very easy to go straight to the point you want.

It's not important, just an unconventional order, and your comment about 'Dip in Dip out' doesn't work either as a lot of the missions assume knowledge of the previous one(s).

It's not important,

couldnt agree more

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

couldnt agree more

Not helpful to take quotes out of context.

It's not important, but it can be inconvenient to users more accustomed to a particular order of learning modules. And, as I said, it is not always possible to 'Dip in and Dip out', as you suggested, which it is with other modules.

I have praised BD's TMs on several occasions, but this aspect can be a little frustrating, i.e. you can't just regard each one in isolation, they are part of a particular sequential set because some missions assume that knowledge from the previous one has been gained. If it hasn't, then you can't progress, hence the reason you can't 'Dip in Dip out'.

Guys, I hear you. I have no problem with changing the default order if it makes sense for most of you and I will do that once I add CAS and JDAM missions to the bunch later on. How does that sound?

Thanks BD. The issue is that I don't see how you can change the order easily for the reasons I mentioned above, i.e. a lot of the missions assume knowledge gained from previous ones, and if you changed the order, that would be more confusing. I can't remember which mission it was, but as an example, in the middle of one, you are asked to create a new waypoint. Now, if you don't know how to from a previous training mission, you can't progress as the assumption is you do know how to do it.

If they were all standalone - and I appreciate that is not practically possible given the amount of work involved - that issue wouldn't exist. This whole thing is only a result of the very comprehensive nature of your excellent TMs!

Not helpful to take quotes out of context.

Im not sure how agreeing that this issue isnt important is taking your quote out of context. The intention wsnt to be snarky.

Taking about context i was actually referring to the manner in which the full lessons are broken down in enabling you to do a quick refresh rather than undertaking the full lesson. I didnt make that very clear.

• 1 month later...

M13 FULL. Sensors and target designation

Sensor Select forward = nothing

when reading set first to flir....

flir safe ins, tdc action

according to the chief i must be able to move the diamond or box in the hud.

as this is a learning mission with things that don't work, hours and hours until i ran out of fuel and still not able to slew it in ins.

:pilotfly:

i7-920, 12 GB DDR3 1600, Gigabyte x58 ud3r, Gigabyte GTX 970 OC, 2x500GB SSD+1x250ssd, TrackIR 5 clip, screen 42 inches, and 21 inches, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle and stick,t500rs,th8 shifter, Saitek Pro throttle, x controller, G11 keys

This is a Razbam development (or lack of) issue, not a training mission one.

• 4 weeks later...
Guys, I hear you. I have no problem with changing the default order if it makes sense for most of you and I will do that once I add CAS and JDAM missions to the bunch later on. How does that sound?

A suggestion: there are a couple of short training missions which you say are addendum to the main (full) training mission and not simply cut-out for brevity. It would be good if these were labelled as such as I only spotted this by accident, yet they contain useful information (an example is the variable nozzle training missions).

Overall, I like the training missions very much! Great job! :joystick::book:

Motorola 68000 | 1 Mb | Debug port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."

• 2 months later...

harrier carrier take off

On some Harrier missions Pin point strike day my Harrier on take off is positioned right at the edge of the take off ramp. I am to heavy for a vertical take off and not enough runway to for a conventional take off. Now when I watch the video on you tube for the same mission the plane is positioned back on the runway so he has ample room to take off. I have tried positioning the plane in different parking spots in Mission editor but when I start the the mission the plane always winds up at the edge of the runway. Anyone have any ideas how to fix this. Thanking you in advance.

• 3 weeks later...

I found the same problem when I went to do a basic carrier-launched flight (I think in Red Kite's training mission). It's not ideal, but my solution was to push the nozzles all the way to 90 degrees and reverse the Harrier all the way back to the starting point. I wiped out a couple of ground crew on the first attempt but it's not too bad when you get the hang of it.

Strangely enough, I have modified the Pin-Point Strike (Day) mission to make it co-op and the start position was exactly where I wanted it for each client slot.

CPU: Intel Core i5 4590 3.3GHz, RAM: 32GB HyperX Fury 1600MHz DDR3, GFX: EVGA GTX 1080, OS: Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, Joy: TM Warthog, Peds: CH Pro Pedals, TrackIR3, VR: Vive

• 2 weeks later...

Night Training Mission

Hey guys,

Is it normal for the Night Training Tutorial in the AV-8B Harrier to have a Wingman that doesn't have any lights on or even using their engine, but maintaining perfect flight?

I was having trouble spotting them at night with my FLIR or NVGs. I'm guessing because that they didn't have their engine running?

Anyone else run into this issue?

I'm playing in VR.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Ha! Just jumped back in the Harrier after flying the Hornet for ages, relearning the first module I truly enjoyed getting in to..

Burst out laughing after Training Mission 02 (start Up), after you complete the lesson but don't quit... Never stayed that long before in cockpit afterwards.. "...study sim.."

Thanks for the laugh!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/10/2021 at 4:18 AM, Alpiinoo said:

+1

+2!

(Please)

• Like 2

"...I just wanna fly; put your arms around me baby, put your arms around me baby" - Sugar Ray

RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI MPG B550 Gaming mobo, 64 GB DDR4 RAM, 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD 2TB game install drive, Oculus Quest Pro via link cable, Standalone DCS beta.

• 3 weeks later...

Has BD gone to ground?  Haven't heard from him in quite a while now.

• Like 2