Harrier Training Missions

baltic_dragon

Can BD or some Razbam staff update on the revision of the training missions? 

• Like 3

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Virpil CM3 base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

On 1/30/2022 at 9:44 AM, sirrah said:

Sorry if asked/answered anywhere in the past 11 pages of this thread, but are these training missions updated automatically by ED during patches? (just like they are for the other modules)

Or do we still have to manually download them here?:

Unless I'm mistaken, the missions are now all included in the module, but some don't work. (For example, the AAR and I think startup and carrier landing – I've not tried them all). That said, the depth and quality of them is fantastic – Baltic Dragon did a great job at the time, it's just that the module/DCS has moved on since and broken a few things. I'm still working through some of them as, even with bugs, you can learn stuff.

• Like 1

The point is that the missions are 4-5 years old and the module has changed a lot in that time. Many of the missions don’t work correctly and @baltic_dragonhas stated that they would be updated. That was a LONG time ago now. 

• Like 5

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

• 3 months later...
On 1/18/2023 at 1:03 PM, Solemn-laugh said:

Unless I'm mistaken, the missions are now all included in the module, but some don't work. (For example, the AAR and I think startup and carrier landing – I've not tried them all). That said, the depth and quality of them is fantastic – Baltic Dragon did a great job at the time, it's just that the module/DCS has moved on since and broken a few things. I'm still working through some of them as, even with bugs, you can learn stuff.

How do they not work? I've done all three of them recently and cannot recall any show-stopping issues.

Three?  there are about 20!  Sure you're looking at the training missions?

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Basically, some work, some don't.

Glad to be of help. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Wostg said:

'Anchor' means active pause right? I'm hitting all the waypoints but the next sections never trigger

Anchor usually means just stay circling  at a specific point (eg. waypoint). Not sure how it is used in these training missions though. 

• Like 1

CPU:5600X | GPU:RTX2080 | RAM:32GB | Disk:860EVOm.2

Yep! There are a lot of assumptions made in DCS missions, which I consider something of a failing. I get it that many people want to feel like they are  'trained pilots' 🙄 or whatever, and like the lingo, but I think making it easy and accessible to the novice is the far better way to improve the game for everyone. Especially in training missions. And especially since many people aren't English/Russian first language speakers.

• Like 2

CPU:5600X | GPU:RTX2080 | RAM:32GB | Disk:860EVOm.2

15 hours ago, Wostg said:

Cheers, it's a little thing but confusing (see also: we haven't covered radios yet but set it for kobuleti and request takeoff. Also simple comms is disabled lol) 

Radios aren't covered at any point as far as I can remember. Is there something in particular you need? Otherwise they are essentially the same as the Hornet and either Chuck's guide would suffice. Additionally, there are some kneeboards you can get from UF which have all airfield frequencies for a given map, which takes a lot of the confusion out of "tune x" asks. 

Edited by Ich Dien

No I'll figure it out from Chucks etc, but thank you for asking. That was just the next gripe that came to mind of things that either aren't covered, or appear to have changed since early release.

(not harrier related) With Chucks, youtubes etc there's plenty to work with. What I'd really like is for advanced beginners guides that DON'T spend 30% of their time telling you how to decide between VR and TRACKIR, but instead talk about actually playing the game e.g. what's SEAD all about? (yes SEAD is in the core DCS manual)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Wostg said:

No I'll figure it out from Chucks etc, but thank you for asking. That was just the next gripe that came to mind of things that either aren't covered, or appear to have changed since early release.

(not harrier related) With Chucks, youtubes etc there's plenty to work with. What I'd really like is for advanced beginners guides that DON'T spend 30% of their time telling you how to decide between VR and TRACKIR, but instead talk about actually playing the game e.g. what's SEAD all about? (yes SEAD is in the core DCS manual)

I think a fair number of people learn this sort of stuff in the multiplayer arena either being taught by other players or experimenting until they stop being killed by everything/achieve their objectives

You can also do this in single-player but I agree, the resources aren't there 100%. Campaigns give you very detailed and immersive environment, but they're like reading the 2nd book in a series; you'll be missing things without the pre-requisite knowledge. 

You can't really build your own resources, as you don't know what you don't know. But it's also difficult for others to build, as they want things to be efficient for the broadest part of the audience and they might also be decades separated from their initial learning process, so can overlook the essentials. It's a tough one. 

Edited by Ich Dien
  • Thanks 1