Textures (airframe and cockpit) really harsh even with AF 16x?

Nealius

Comparing my Harrier screenshots to others, my textures are incredibly pixelated, to the point that switch labels in the cockpit are sometimes nearly illegible without zooming all the way in on the panel. Meanwhile everyone's screenshots I see show smooth, soft textures.

I'm running a GTX1050Ti at 1920x1080 (max for my monitor). Textures set to high, anisotropic filtering 16x, MSAA 8x. I don't use any NVIDA control panel settings.

And this is what my textures look like:

RMpLSCH.jpg

Compared to the startup guide, at nearly the same zoom level, my switch labels are very harsh and angular.

bSCWi48.jpg

Compared to others' pictures of the same skin, the bomb count and other markings like the tail flash are also harsh and angular.

Why aren't my textures smooth like everyone else's? Is it an issue with my graphics settings, or does everyone see the game this way and just soften everything up in Photoshop?

Comparing my Harrier screenshots to others, my textures are incredibly pixelated, to the point that switch labels in the cockpit are sometimes nearly illegible without zooming all the way in on the panel. Meanwhile everyone's screenshots I see show smooth, soft textures.

I'm running a GTX1050Ti at 1920x1080 (max for my monitor). Textures set to high, anisotropic filtering 16x, MSAA 8x. I don't use any NVIDA control panel settings.

And this is what my textures look like:

RMpLSCH.jpg

Compared to the startup guide, at nearly the same zoom level, my switch labels are very harsh and angular.

bSCWi48.jpg

Compared to others' pictures of the same skin, the bomb count and other markings like the tail flash are also harsh and angular.

Why aren't my textures smooth like everyone else's? Is it an issue with my graphics settings, or does everyone see the game this way and just soften everything up in Photoshop?

Euhm.. your system specs are low, compare too others. You can set minimum settings, but never maximum settings.

For comparising: http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_geforce_gtx_1050_and_1050_ti_gaming_x_review,13.html

A gtx 1080 is 3 times better then the gtx 1050TI

Edited by boedha68

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

Euhm.. your system specs are low, compare too others. You can set minimum settings, but never maximum settings.

For comparising: http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_geforce_gtx_1050_and_1050_ti_gaming_x_review,13.html

A gtx 1080 is 3 times better then the gtx 1050TI

That has nothing to do with it. He is clearly not running low settings.

Maybe someone from ED can comment on this, since it seems strange.

Missing mipmaps are causing it? I just tested the M2000C, AJS37, Mi8, and UH1 with roughly the same zoom levels (zoomed out even more in some cases) and experienced no pixelation, only some blurring.

Does everyone else have some kind of hotfix? I see Mustang released a hotfix for the cockpit, but not the liveries.

(no pixelation on the M2000C)

GWf5V5H.jpg

The Harrier cockpit mipmaps are already included in the last 2.2 update. Confirmed by Zeus.

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

Missing mipmaps are causing it? I just tested the M2000C, AJS37, Mi8, and UH1 with roughly the same zoom levels (zoomed out even more in some cases) and experienced no pixelation, only some blurring...

That's how the mipmaps work. Imagine that you have a surface with a texture in 3D, let's say a 1024x1024 one.

If you look at it from very close you'll start to see individual pixels. In opposite case, when you look at it from a very far it'll take only a small portion on the screen - only a few pixels. In other words the GPU has to scale a large texture to a smal image. That's why you see it jagged. The mipmaps are a set of down scaled images of the same texture that improve performance and solve above problem:

ccs-8549-0-46062900-1308172686.gif

Those are just absent in Harrier. No quick hotfix. Just wait till the fix comes up.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

So that's what mipmaps do.

My next question is....how is everyone else getting good screenshots where the external textures appear to have mipmaps? Mustang has a cockpit fix out, 2.2 is reported to have a fixed cockpit, but no word on liveries?

So that's what mipmaps do.

My next question is....how is everyone else getting good screenshots where the external textures appear to have mipmaps? Mustang has a cockpit fix out, 2.2 is reported to have a fixed cockpit, but no word on liveries?

I'm sure they'll come with the next update, hang in there.