Which Jet for a lover of ground pounding?

Sholtz

So I have been a simmer for a long time - since the days of Aces of the Pacific (remember that gem?!) and have always loved ground pounders. Currently I have BS2, Huey, and the P51 and am considering adding a modern jet to the mix. Not really a fan of dog fighting, mostly because I am terrible at it. :megalol:

The A10 is pretty high on the list so far as its always been a favorite, and I know that any of them can technically do some ground pounding but a lot of the offerings I am not really familiar with - that being said can anybody offer some input on which might be the most specialized in that area?

The most specialized mud movers in DCS currently are definately the A-10C for CAS and the Viggen for (Deep) Strikes and Anti Shipping.

The Harrier is also a great ground pounder, but it is still in a very early stage and is missing a lot of features.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Harrier.

Its in early access but, its easy to learn the simple things like CCIP bombing, rockets etc. The Mavs have several different ways to be used, LGB's on the way that you can use with your own systems or buddy laze, and man is the thing fun to takeoff and land. AA refueling is more challenging than anything I've done, carrier VTOL landings are a real challenge and very rewarding when accomplished. I tell ya, I was always a Hornet guy but the Harrier has me hooked.

Edited by Gladman
  • Like 1

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

Get the A-10C as aside of the module itself there is a lot of content for it. SP stock campaign is ok for an introduction. Aside of that there are many single player DLC campaigns while multiplayer servers with slots for A-10C are easy to find. Can't go wrong with that if you're up for a modern ground attack aircraft.

Harrier is great but still in early alpha with not so much content for it.

You could also try out the free Su-25T if you're ok with a non full fidelity module.

• Like 1

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

So I have been a simmer for a long time - since the days of Aces of the Pacific (remember that gem?!) and have always loved ground pounders. Currently I have BS2, Huey, and the P51 and am considering adding a modern jet to the mix. Not really a fan of dog fighting, mostly because I am terrible at it. :megalol:

The A10 is pretty high on the list so far as its always been a favorite, and I know that any of them can technically do some ground pounding but a lot of the offerings I am not really familiar with - that being said can anybody offer some input on which might be the most specialized in that area?

Depends what you are want. Simple and cheap SU-25 is fun for me. Not fully modeled, but at $9.99 is not bad. Challenging to use the weapons but rewarding when you hit the target.

A-10C, many, many system. Great $ per entertaining value. I have been flying it since 2010 and still learning new things. As complicated as you want to make it, but with plenty of systems and reading material. Not to mention thousands of post and youtube videos to learn from.

Ka-50 is a lot of fun as well. Easy to fly, very hard to fly well. Many unique features. The ABRIS (moving map) alone should have it own manual. You can do so many things in it, these is specially challenging when learning it in Russian ( I do not read nor speak Russian) But I manage to learn it. Been flying that since 2008 and still learning new tricks.

Viggen has some cool features. Limited weapons and uses but again, fun like the others. I have mainly use the AJS-37 against ships but not much else.

The AV8B has a lot of potential, right now is closer related to a FC3 module, but so much room to grow and fun to use. I am still learning this one and when more systems are implemented, I can only see it getting better and better.

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Just an aside. My group has starting using A-10C missions for the Harrier. Its as easy as loading the mission into the editor and changing it out. Given that, there are vast amounts of missions for both single and multi player readily available.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

Definitely the A-10C.

The Viggen and the Harrier are outstanding modules for sure but do have (yet) limited variety in terms of combat employment. The Viggen is great at gound pounding but is a strike aircraft rather than a CAS aircraft. The Harrier is in an early stage and the content is yet limited.

The A-10C can use a huge variety of weapons, has the most content in terms of missions, campaings and provides AA refueling. It is very tough to learn though because is comes with a huge amount of complicated systems, which in turn, when fully mastered, gives you a feeling of pure superiority on the battlefield with almost no target that can't be destroyed. Also the navigational capabilities are (although very complex again) the most sophisticated because of the CDU and the stored data in it.

It depends on how much you are interested in studying manuals and theory. Against the A-10C, almost every other module feels like some kind of an arcade module (except the russian helos).

Edited by Moafuleum
  • Like 1

Take A10C and you won't regret it. But be ready for a steep learning curve, if you haven't been using such complicated avionics before.

If you want something really fun and totally different, take Mig-21. It looks complicated, but in the end it is pretty simple to fly. Cockpit is extremely immersive, specially in VR. It doesn't have fancy targeting systems, but with some training, you are able to take out whole convoy with one, high speed pass. And it makes you scream like a little girl when you fly supersonic, just over tree tops and trying to dodge incoming tracers.

Edited by lesnyborsuk
  • Like 1

I remember when sex was safe and flying was dangerous.

If you want something really fun and totally different, take Mig-21. It looks complicated, but in the end it is pretty simple to fly. Cockpit is extremely immersive, specially in VR. It doesn't have fancy targeting systems, but with some training, you are able to take out whole convoy with one, high speed pass. And it makes you scream like a little girl when you fly supersonic, just over tree tops and trying to dodge incoming tracers.

I love the MiG-21, but you can do that kind of stuff much better in the Viggen, which was made for exactly this purpose, unlike the MiG-21. ;)

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Awesome, thanks for all the replies!

I think I see an A10 in my future :) Also glad to see good things about the Viggen - I never even knew it existed until recently and have seen a couple of videos on it, looks like a pretty slick package.

The Harrier is another favorite of mine, but as has been pointed out its not quite finished and I generally dont have the patience for that so think I will wait on that one.

I spent a fair amount of time with Falcon back in the day so am familiar with CCIP/RP, Mavericks etc. and a steep learning curve doesn't scare me too much :)

For whatever reason, it looks like you're being choosy in your choice of modules (nothing wrong with that!) so I would concur with most others here and say get the A-10. It will give you the most bang for the buck and it's a wonderful module. You can always get some of the others later. But based on everything you have said that would be my choice. Take it for what you will. ;) S!

Justificus

System Specs:

i7 4970K @ 4.8, GTX 1080 SC, 32GB G.Skill DDR 2133,Thermaltake Level 10 Full Tower Case, Noctua NH-D15 6 Cooler, Win 10 Pro, Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, CH Throttle Quadrant, Oculus, 1 32" & 2 19" Monitors

Modules Owned: A-10C I+II, Ka-50, FC3, F-86, Mig-15, Mig21, UH-1H, Mi-8, CA, P-51D, BF-109K-4, FW-190 D-9, Hawk, NTTR, M-2000C, SA342, F-5E, Spit Mk. IX, AJS-37, Normandy, WWII A.P., AV-8B, F/A-18C, L-39, Persian Gulf, Mig-19P, I-16, Super Carrier, F-16, Channel, Syria

Best so far is still the Su-25T.

1) Bomb carrier

2) SEAD capable

3) Anti-Ship capable

4) Fancy targeting systems

5) Flying tank

6) Largest capability for Anti-Armor

7) Lots of capabilities for cannon runs (more than even A-10C or actually any other)

8) great loitering time (you don't need to be pushing throttle full-mil power at all)

9) In emergency situations you can drop ordinance and you get even past Mach 1 and you have good turning capability for short dog fight when someone decide to come on you, but preferred always to extend from those.

But, not full fidelity clickable cockpit.

So if you want such cockpit, then:

1) Harrier

2) Viggen

3) A-10C

4) Mirage 2000C

But if you want something very special, hold on now for anything and wait that F/A-18C/D gets out.... That will be the thing you really like even just for a A/G missions if you don't care about fast speed.

Otherwise I would now go for the released Harrier or Viggen for more special one.

• Like 1

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Awesome, thanks for all the replies!

I think I see an A10 in my future :) Also glad to see good things about the Viggen - I never even knew it existed until recently and have seen a couple of videos on it, looks like a pretty slick package.

The Harrier is another favorite of mine, but as has been pointed out its not quite finished and I generally dont have the patience for that so think I will wait on that one.

I spent a fair amount of time with Falcon back in the day so am familiar with CCIP/RP, Mavericks etc. and a steep learning curve doesn't scare me too much :)

You'll come to the dark side in time.

Joking of course.

The A-10C is a great airframe. I spent a lot of time in it.

Keep an eye on the Harrier though. My only real gripe with the A-10 was that AA refueling is busted at this time whereas the Harrier is good to go and to be honest the A-10 is just so slow it got a little monotonous. It did however teach me patience so its a tradeoff. I'm sure you'll enjoy learning the systems and the huge payload.

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

Okay the Harrier is young, but it handles, it's fast enough to be entertaining, it's only going to get better. And when it can use it's targeting pod, you'll be able to carry a shitload of GBU-12s.

The problem with the A10 for me is it's a flying computer. You actually fly it is boring, but it's also a huge learning curve. It's very very effective, yes, but personally the Harrier wins, and not just because it's new.

I also like the Viggen however the required level of pre-planning for multiplayer public servers is frustrating.

I'm liking the Harrier more than my A-10C since it's been out. The thing that drives me crazy about the A-10C is how slow it is. It takes forever to get anywhere. I do love it though. Have flown it since Beta. I'm enjoying the Harrier, it is faster, the learning curve is small so far with it's limited systems but it is a blast to fly. Take off's and landings are awesome and unique, especially off the ship. It will improve a lot as they add more systems too. Can't wait for the F-18 obviously as well : ) And the F-14 for fleet defense! I'd start with the Harrier and if you want something really complex the A-10C.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

For low level flying, the Viggen is fantastic!

It is very stable and has a very well thought out cockpit.

Modules: Bf 109, C-101, CE-II, F-5, Gazelle, Huey, Ka-50, Mi-8, MiG-15, MiG-19, MiG-21, Albatros, Viggen, Mirage 2000, Hornet, Yak-52, FC3

Get the Hawg for the most content, videos and fun.

Just don't mistake Hawg and Hawk ;)

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

If you decide to go with the A10C, make sure you check out Bunyap on Youtube. He has "down on the range" series for A10C. Note he has A10A as well, so watch the A10C series. short, sweet, and extremely valuable in terms of training.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

The A-10C is absolutely the best module for ground attack, especially CAS. It's also excellent for improvised attacks where you might go in without knowing exactly what you might face or where the enemy is located. It also features the ability to carry a truly massive payload on a mission, as well as carrying a wide variety of different weapons on a single mission. So for example if you just do one of the quick-fly missions, it starts up with a good "basic" payload consisting of:

1 rocket pod

2 Mavericks with IR seeker heads

2 Mavericks with EO seeker heads

2 GBU-38 GPS-guided JDAMs

2 GBU-12 Laser-guided bombs

2 AIM-9s

And of course the 30mm cannon, as well as an ECM pod and a targeting pod. So you have a nice assortment of different weapons types to play with, and it can also carry "dumb" bombs in several weight classes (mk82, mk83, mk84) as well, so there's a weapon for almost any combination of targets and preferred standoff range, and the ability to carry it all at once. The DSMS even lets you set up separate profiles for your weapons load as well in the cockpit.

Now, one cool but difficult aspect is that ED simulated the full HOTAS functionality and the control scheme is built around that. So instead of assigning a button to a specific function, you assign it to the specific button or switch that would be found on the real stick and throttle of the A-10 (hence the learning curve: you have to learn what each button does in various different contexts depending on which sensor is being used).

But this also means that you will want a stick and throttle with a lot of buttons and switches. There's the TM Warthog, which the sim will recognize and map automatically, but it is expensive. I use a Saitek X-52 Pro, which will work with a bit of effort, but it really does wind up using every single button. If you're using a more basic throttle and stick, you may have some difficulty.

The Viggen is the other good ground strike aircraft that I would recommend. It isn't as versatile, and it's intended for pre-planned strikes on known targets, and it carries fewer weapons and a smaller payload. The one thing that it does that the A-10C doesn't is SPEED. The ideal CCIP bombing run in the Viggen is done with snakeeyes at 50m AGL and 0.8-0.9 Mach. Any higher or any slower and it won't work. In the Viggen, you will be flying low enough to smell the pine needles and deer droppings, and fast enough to force you to react quickly to the terrain. You will be flying by the seat of your pants.

On the downside, the Viggen cockpit is written entirely in Swedish, with various buttons and switches labelled Huvudfreyasdottirsbottom or whatever, so there's a different kind of learning curve. On a more serious note, though, it's a bit more limited in its weaponry and capabilities, although it does have ground mapping radar and radar-guided anti-ship missiles, which is unique to the Viggen (for now, at least). And it has Automatisk Fart Control, below and behind the seat....

Clear winner is the A-10C. Years after it's still my absolute favorite. The beauty of the A-10 is that you can go as in-depth as you like. I've "trained" a few people in the aircraft, and can get them from little/no sim experience to reasonably effective weapons employment of (most) weapons systems in a 2-5 hours. Then there are guys who belong to some VFGs (you know the ones i mean) who know every system in the aircraft forwards and backwards, as well as every aspect of the simulator engine itself.