Run Script Advanced Waypoint Action Broken in 2.2.0

dwpenney

It looks like the Run Script Advanced Waypoint Action is broken in DCS World 2.2.0? This may be a known issue as I would guess this may impact mission designers and may be reported internally already.

Summary: This issue pertains to the 'Run Script' Advanced Waypoint Action either as specified in the mission editor (Perform Command -> Run Script) or via code (MOOSE in this case, which is why I was replicating it without MOOSE and started with the Advanced Waypoint Action).

Steps to Reproduce in Mission Editor:

1. Start a new mission (on Nevada in my test);

2. Add a new Vehicle Group with two waypoints (in addition to the starting position);

3. At WP#1 (middle waypoint) add an Advanced (Waypoint Action) -> Perform Command -> Run Script -> env.info ( "Vehicle: WPT Run Script Call: At Wp#1" );

4. Repeat this step at WP#2 with code: env.info ( "Vehicle: WPT Run Script Call: At Wp#2" )

5. Run the mission and monitor the log - the message is never generated even after WP#1 is passed and WP#2 is reached (at which point the test vehicle will stop);

Experienced Behaviour (Advanced Waypoint Action):

- Correct Behaviour: In DCS World 1.5.8, Vehicle 2 reports in the DCS.log file when it passes WP#1 and when it arrives at WP#2;

- Incorrect Behaviour: In DCS World 2.2.0, Vehicle 2 _does not_ report in the DCS.log file when it passes WP#1 or when it arrives at WP#2;

Experienced Behaviour (MOOSE):

- Correct Behaviour: In DCS World 1.5.8, Vehicle 1 is assigned a route from it's start POS to one of the target areas. The second WP in that route is given a TaskFunction to call a function to calculate a new route to a random target. Once Vehicle 1 reaches it's first target zone, a second route is properly generated to a subsequent target zone. This repeats ad infinitum;

- Incorrect Correct Behaviour: In DCS World 2.2.0, Vehicle 1 is assigned a route from it's start POS to one of the target areas. The second WP in that route is given a TaskFunction to call a function to calculate a new route to a random target. Once Vehicle 1 reaches it's first target zone it stops and never executes the WP2 TaskFunction to set a new route;

Note:

- This works in DCS World 1.5.8;

- This does not work in DCS World 2.2.0;

- In the attached .zip please find two missions (these missions are based off of a MOOSE test mission and contain both the MOOSE code _and_ a simple unit created with the above mentioned steps)

- The MOOSE code can be ignored if you focus on Vehicle 2 (group name) in both missions as that group is limited to only env.info LUA calls to attempt and replicate the issue experienced with MOOSE. I specifically left the MOOSE code in as it may help debug the issue and I hope that does not confuse anyone testing this;

- For DCS World 1.5.8 (Georgia): GRP-502 - DCSW-1.5.8 - Route at waypoint to random point.miz

- For DCS World 2.2.0 (Nevada): GRP-502 - DCSW-2.2.0 - Route at waypoint to random point.miz

- Vehicle 1 uses MOOSE code to attempt to generate another target location when the current one is reached. It does this by creating a route from it's current POS to a random target zone, injecting a TaskFunction at WP#2 that will re-execute that logic. It's not terribly complex but it led me to find that I could not get the TaskFunction at WP#2 to ever execute. That lead me to create...

- Vehicle 2 which uses only the Waypoint (Advanced Actions) functionality to attempt to have Vehicle 2 report as it passes WP #1 and reaches WP#2 - it does neither;

- For reference there are a number of lines output to the dcs.log file by the LUA code that were helping me debug the issue. These lines are prefaced with GRP-502 (so if you use a log monitoring software (ex: glogg) then you can easily pick those lines out;

- All LUA code is contained in the zip as well. Both functions should work out of the box and require no modification.

If there is anything that I can add, please let me know.

Run_Script-Advance_Waypoint_Action-Issue.zip

Fridge

----------

Things which do you no good in aviation:

1) Altitude above you;

2) Runway behind you;

3) Fuel in the truck;

4) The airspeed you don't have.

It appears to work for the first waypoint, but anything after that is broken. Also its not just the do script call. Suffice to say I've put quite a lot of emphasis on how bad this bug is. Hopefully it'll get prioritized. Silver lining though is it appears to only be ground units. Aircraft, helicopters, and ships are no effected.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects: Scripting Wiki, Something...

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread), SLMOD, IADScript, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

• 4 years later...

This still doesn't work on DCS v. 2.7. 9.18080

As GRIMES said, the script work for the first waypoint, but anything after that is broken. 😞

I agree with him, this bug is **REALLY BAD**, I hope it'll get prioritized too. Thanks!

Edited by Presidium

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/15/2022 at 5:52 AM, Presidium said:

This still doesn't work on DCS v. 2.7. 9.18080

As GRIMES said, the script work for the first waypoint, but anything after that is broken. 😞

I agree with him, this bug is **REALLY BAD**, I hope it'll get prioritized too. Thanks!

Wrong forum mate.This is the archived forum for Alpha 2. You need to post here -> https://forums.eagle.ru/forum/815-mission-editor-bugs/

Edited by MustangSally

i9-9900K @ 5.1 - delided, Gigabyte Aorus Elite MB, Corsair H150i Pro water cooler

64gig G-Skill DDR4@3600, MSI 3080 Ti Suprim X

Winwing Super Taurus, Orion2, TO / Combat panels and Collective

MFG Crosswind pedals, Tek Creations F/A-18 UFC and F-16 ICP

Trackir