Sidearm vs ship (radar)

Mr_sukebe

Conducted a quick test this evening.

I was curious if I could use a sidearm vs a ship's radar. I know the sidearm can't sink a ship, but I did think that if it could disable it's radar, I could then drop mk82s on the ship.

I seem to have confirmed a comment I've previously read that ships don't have independent damage locations, meaning that either you kill the ship, or don't. Damaging the radar seems to be impossible in isolation. At least I've proven that to myself.

As such, no workaround to allow the use of the Harrier as an anti-ship delivery platform, or at least not ships armed with self defence missiles.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

We might get the Harpoon missile on the AV-8B+ Varient.

Now THAT would be nice.

Don't know what it is, but I found it particularly satisfying to sink ships in this game. Managed it with bombs in the harrier, and the anti-ship missile on the Su25.

Maybe I'll have to buy the Viggen next...

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Yea dont think the AV8B will make a very good anti ship platform, then you would have to get close enough for Mavericks which can be very tricky and depending on ship type i think they need more than one maverick to kill.

/off topic

Why would you not recommend the Viggen for a good anti-ship platform, the RB15 is a very capable anti ship missile.

Edited by Sim Flyer

I wouldn't get the Viggen if your looking for a good Anti-ship platform. I would suggest waiting for the F/A-18C if your looking for something that can do it.

Why is that you wouldn't get a Viggen for anti ship? It even has an anti-ship missile specifically for the task.

My controls & seat

Main controls: , BRD-N v4 Flightstick (Kreml C5 controller), TM Warthog Throttle (Kreml F3 controller), BRD-F2 Restyling Bf-109 Pedals w. damper, TrackIR5, Gametrix KW-908 (integrated into RAV4 seat)

Stick grips:

Thrustmaster Warthog

Thrustmaster Cougar (x2)

Thrustmaster F-16 FLCS

BRD KG13

Standby controls:

BRD-M2 Mi-8 Pedals (Ruddermaster controller)

BRD-N v3 Flightstick w. exch. grip upgrade (Kreml C5 controller)

Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle

Pilot seat

Ships do have independent damage locations, at least most of the ones with updated models do. Fire a weak missile at a Molynia and you can destroy the bridge or KH-41 launchers without sinking it. The problem is though that missiles tend to track toward the origin of an object and not a specific point it is tracking. A good example is the tall SA-10 search or tracking radars, the missile goes toward the base of the object instead of where the dish is at.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

I wouldn't get the Viggen if your looking for a good Anti-ship platform. I would suggest waiting for the F/A-18C if your looking for something that can do it.

Why is that you wouldn't get a Viggen for anti ship? It even has an anti-ship missile specifically for the task.

Exactly?! The Viggen has been purposely build for that task and it excels at it! :huh:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

DCS doesnt have individual systems damage modeling at the moment for ground/sea units.

A sidearm wont destroy armored vehicles like it does in game , but RAZBAM had to give it more punch since DCS wont allow just the radar emitter to be destroyed.

hopefully ED will model it in the future

IAF.Tomer

My Rig:

Core i7 6700K + Corsair Hydro H100i GTX

Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7,G.Skill 32GB DDR4 3000Mhz

Gigabyte GTX 980 OC

Samsung 840EVO 250GB + 3xCrucial 275GB in RAID 0 (1500 MB/s)

Asus MG279Q | TM Warthog + Saitek Combat Pedals + TrackIR 5

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Grimes will an anti radiation missile also track like that? seems like it would track to the source of the radar, in the case of the SA-10 it should track the dish instead of the base of the object?

It should, but that's not how DCS works. In the game engine the missile doesn't lock on the ships radar as it should, because the game just treats the entire ship as a single entity and the radar is just a property of the ship. So the missile will just target the ship itself, because it has the radar property.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

DCS doesnt have individual systems damage modeling at the moment for ground/sea units.

Generally you are correct, but there are exceptions, and all the exceptions are ships, but not all of them. For example when this happens to a Molyniya it can no longer engage targets at all.

ship_no_shooty_now.thumb.jpg.7313924576da0cf01c4314f5ae680da0.jpg

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

Generally you are correct, but there are exceptions, and all the exceptions are ships, but not all of them. For example when this happens to a Molyniya it can no longer engage targets at all.

This is a huge step forward and I hope this feature will be enhanced quickly and applied to all of the ships in the game.

Tornado3 small.jpg

This is a huge step forward and I hope this feature will be enhanced quickly and applied to all of the ships in the game.

That feature was coming from 1.2.X versions with the Molyniya was updated some years ago, other ships was updates when your 3D models was updates (CG-60, Slava, etc). Not bad, but require some improvements, actually has very limited and expected will be updated with the new DM coming to DCS World.

Edited by Silver_Dragon

We need sensor / main weapon damage also on ground units. I doubt that a Tunguska or Tor launcher would explode from a Sidearm...

Well, the Sidearm has almost as much explosives as does a 155mm HE artillery shell... It just doesn't have the tens of kilograms weight on it, just a few kilograms fragmentation head.

And those fragments from couple meters distance would, at least some, penetrate the armor in Tunguska, render cannons, missiles etc useless at least if not anything.

A 155mm HE shell exploding at least 20-30m from a MBT has a good change to destroy MBT optics, tracks, wheels, radios, cannon etc, and even in some cases to penetrate to some armor positions. In tests it was found that anything closer than 75-100m from the artillery shell explosion point was in serious danger to get destroyed regardless their armor. A MBT is very well armored tank, but lesser tanks like IFV, AAA, SAM etc will get easily destroyed, survive if lucky. Crews in a MBT can survive, but their combat likely ends there, or at least stops until they get field repair completed.

Through the history, artillery has been the force that does most armor kills. Not the aircrafts, AT teams or vehicles, but the artillery.

And today when artillery has a GPS or laser guided shells, it becomes even far more lethal because increased accuracy and capability to strike even a moving target.

A Tunguska is build on GM-platform, just like most other SAM and artillery units in Soviet era. And that's armor is not designed to withstand even 12.7mm caliber, only mainly a 7.62 caliber.

So when a Sidearm couple kg explosive warhead explodes near it, there is very good change you will knock the whole vehicle down.

But DCS requires a new damage modeling. Vehicles should lose tracks, jam their weapons, jam the turret, blow out engine, leak hydraulics, lose optics etc. But only in serious damages would they be blow out with catastrophic results.

Crews would die, get wounded and this way slow down the vehicle operations.

We don't even have a stress level or Line of Sight modeling. Where a ground unit that gets shot at by strafing fighter, would seriously feel heat on them and seek to cover.

When you are buttoned down in a armored vehicle, your view outside is very limited. Your hearing to spot direction of threat is extremely limited when your huge diesel/turbine engine is running next to you.

Spotting an CAS aircraft flying above around through small periscopes is luck by best.

With ships it is little other thing as they have dozens of men doing visual search, they have radar that is above their hull so they will spot the aircraft even below before they will spot the ship, other than by the radar emission.

And different operational rooms are as well separated and backups are positioned so sidearm is very effective if you just knock off the radar, but visually entering to ship firing range is dangerous.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Yes, yes, yes... We already get that Mr. "Freeroamer" had no knowledge that the Viggen was specifically designed for Sweden Coast operations for Anti-Ship tasks. To operate in the peninsula area at extreme low altitudes (like 5-10m from sea) while searching the enemy ships and then destroy them with the Anti-Ship missiles.

In short: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=195902

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.