Need help for coordinates input over Normandy

Spt

Now that you bring this topic up i tried it myself and i think it has something to do that you enter east and north coordinates in the ck37 but on normandy you get west and north coordinates on the F10 map. I'm a beginner in the Viggen and i didn't find any solution for that in the manual doing a quick search. But there must be a way because if you add a new landing airfield on the nttr map using the 99xx code the viggen directs you to the right airbase.

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't encoutnered this problem as I'm only flying on the Caucasus till 2.5 comes out, but how did they make it work on NTTR? Does the NTTR solution not apply to Normandy as well?

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I haven't encoutnered this problem as I'm only flying on the Caucasus till 2.5 comes out, but how did they make it work on NTTR? Does the NTTR solution not apply to Normandy as well?

On NTTR you leave out the leading 1 for longitude i.e. 36° 6' 52.7292'' N and 115° 10' 22.1268'' W. becomes 360653 151022.

I used the Viggen on Normandy but used a flightplan from the ME. I guess one can look at such coordinates displayed then just enter them in that way.

• Like 1

The 0-meridian is going through the Normandy map so the longitude coordinates will almost always exist in two places on the map. Example 012000E and 012000W both exist on the Normandy map. The CK37 computer doesn't have any way to tell a difference between this as far as I know.

I hope Heatblur and/or ED have a solution to this.

Skickat från min STF-L09 via Tapatalk

• Like 1

Intel i7-7700K @ 5.1GHz, Gigabyte Z170XP SLI

32 GB Corsair Vengeance @ 2666 Mhz (Stock 2400 Mhz), Gigabyte GTX 1080 Windfoce OC , PSU 650W Seasonic

EK Watercooling (Open loop)

Windows 10 Pro x64

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog + MFG Crosswind + Thrustmaster MFD

• 3 weeks later...

Considering the input limitations of the CK37 it would seem to have been designed to operate in quarter(ish) hemispheres. Sweden, as it happens is comfortably contained within the first 99 degrees east in the north hemisphere, which is probably why.

Now the question is, was the CK37 hardcoded to only work within that constraint, or was there a way to tweak those assumptions that it makes?

It might depend on what underlying data type the CK37 used for it's coordinates.

Does anyone know how this was dealt with in the real life Viggen?

Perhaps all you need is an offset setting in the CK37, instead of having flags for N/S and W/E. Actually, that's probably what I'd have done if I was an engineer at that time, haha. That would also explain a little how NTTR could work, but I still wonder how that stacks up to reality.

As an anecdote, I discovered this coordinate confusion as I tried out the RB-15 for the first time. I must have tried to enter the coordinates for the missile 5-6 times, confirming that the numbers read back alright and everything, but when I approached the target to fire there was always a red light and no symbology where I expected. Pretty confusing but eventually I saw what was going on. Luckily, leaving Bx6-9 undefined and radar fixing Bx8 gives you a standard layout and you can fix each missile markpoint after that. Less pre-planned as I wanted but at least no show-stopper.

Edited by Korroz
Embarrasing typo.

Sweden, as it happens is comfortably contained within the first 99 degrees west in the north hemisphere...

??????????

West-most: 10°57′27″E

East-most: 24°10′00″E

It's pretty much an "Eastern country"...

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

Considering the input limitations of the CK37 it would seem to have been designed to operate in quarter(ish) hemispheres. Sweden, as it happens is comfortably contained within the first 99 degrees east in the north hemisphere, which is probably why.

Now the question is, was the CK37 hardcoded to only work within that constraint, or was there a way to tweak those assumptions that it makes?

It might depend on what underlying data type the CK37 used for it's coordinates.

Does anyone know how this was dealt with in the real life Viggen?

It's actually significantly more restrictive in reality than it is in DCS. In reality, the computer only supports input of longitudes greater than 0° but less than 40°, and latitudes larger than 40° but less than 90°. Roughly speaking, it supports longitudes from Greenwich in the west to Yaroslavl in the east, and latitudes from the North Pole to Madrid in the south. One upside of this is that you can enter latitude and longitude in any order on the real aircraft - the two coordinates have different numerical ranges and the computer can automatically detect which is which.

This was hardcoded as far as I am aware, and not only on the AJ 37 - it was the same on all the other Viggen variants, including the JA 37 all the way up to the JA 37C, despite its much more modern computer. I guess the very last Viggen variant - the short-lived JA 37Di, which was specifically intended for international interoperability - might have changed it though, but I'm not actually sure. I guess if they had ever exported the Viggen they would've needed to fix this, but as it was, no Viggen ever left Europe and it was never an issue. Sweden did not have any territorial expansionist or power projection intentions and the aircraft was plenty capable in its intended area of operations. At air shows in the UK or in France I guess they relied on paper maps. Here's the relevant section from the JA 37C's English flight manual (note the references to the data link system which didn't exist on the AJ 37 - an air combat controller on the ground can upload waypoints directly to your aircraft, among other things):

bpNeb1o.jpg

Edited by renhanxue

Sweet info, thanks Renhanxue.

But yeah, this poses a problem for Heatblur since the AOs in DCS is pretty much outside of that zone. I suppose implementing DCS specific TAKT codes for coordinate input would introduce the least amount of deviation from the real thing though.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
23 minutes ago, SGT Coyle said:

So I guess a Falklands adventure is out of the question.

The Falklands don't have the same problem that Normandy has, with the prime meridian running through it and thus having east and west coordinates alike.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

23 minutes ago, QuiGon said:

The Falklands don't have the same problem that Normandy has, with the prime meridian running through it and thus having east and west coordinates alike.

I'm thinking more of a North South thing.  Do we have any Maps South of equator?

Night Ops in the Harrier

IYAOYAS

40 minutes ago, SGT Coyle said:

I'm thinking more of a North South thing.  Do we have any Maps South of equator?

Not yet, but same logic should apply

Tornado3 small.jpg

1 hour ago, QuiGon said:

Not yet, but same logic should apply

I think it would just assume all latitude is south, similar to using all west latitude in Nevada. 

"Subsonic is below Mach 1, supersonic is up to Mach 5. Above Mach 5 is hypersonic. And reentry from space, well, that's like Mach a lot."

55 minutes ago, Machalot said:

I think it would just assume all latitude is south, similar to using all west latitude in Nevada. 

Yeah, that's what I meant. Heatblur probably has to implement a quick map check for the Falkland map first, so it might not work right away when the Falkland map releases.

Tornado3 small.jpg