Anyone recommend a 1440p monitor with minimum backlight bleed?

Greetings everyone,

I recently got an Asus 32" 2560 x 1440 IPS monitor, and while it certainly looked great in the shop, when I got it home and tried it out, the backlight bleed was awful--especially in the two lower corners. Instrument panels were badly washed out, even flying in daylight. So, I returned it.

I'm partial to anything 2K (2560 x 1440) and about 29 to 32 inches. I don't want a 4K because text looks bad when scaled, I like to run in native res and I really like 2560 x 1440! It's a great resolution for my GTX 1070 to run.

I'm not fussy about whether it's IPS, VA, TN etc... but, I can't STAND backlight bleed. Even a little ghosting/streaking doesn't bother me much--flight sims tend to have smooth action anyway, and aren't twitchy/jerky like FPS games. So, it doesn't need to be a 1ms or 2ms panel.

I just can't stand the awful bleed, especially flying at night!

Any recommendations, anyone?

Thanks

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

My now 2 year old Asus form sig is not bleeding as far as I can tell.

YOu may find one on the shelf for a fair price as the actually sell it's successor, that fights this damn bleeding with it's IPS Panel iirc.

TN, 1ms, 144Hz, USB30-Hub, it plain works w/o any mayor downside. You have to accept the TN color quality, it's not for photographers or such people, they need more true colors I bet. I dont care about a color difference, its a DCS rig..and DiRT..and Minecraft for the 5 year old.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

The best shoot would be then looking for a TN panel based monitor.

I have an 34'' IPS Asus and loving it, backlight bleed is something that becomes noticable only when the screen displays an unitform black picture but on the other hand this can be a personal thing and it seems you're rather sensitive for it.

Check the http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/ for some in-depth monitors reviews.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

My now 2 year old Asus form sig is not bleeding as far as I can tell.

YOu may find one on the shelf for a fair price as the actually sell it's successor, that fights this damn bleeding with it's IPS Panel iirc.

TN, 1ms, 144Hz, USB30-Hub, it plain works w/o any mayor downside. You have to accept the TN color quality, it's not for photographers or such people, they need more true colors I bet. I dont care about a color difference, its a DCS rig..and DiRT..and Minecraft for the 5 year old.

Those things are about $1000 here in Canada, I hope they're good at that kind of money for a 27 incher!! My whole computer didn't cost much more than that. 60Hz is fine with me, even for FPS games, and I'm fine with the color of TN panels. IPS is slightly different to me, but not necessarily better.

I'm used to using a TN, I'm using one right now... A Viewsonic 27" 1080p. I was pretty pumped when I brought home that 32" 2K one! Oh man what a disappointment. I hope there's a better one out there. That backlight bleed is the one thing I can't stand--color accuracy be damned :)

Peace

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

I recently purchased a Dell S2716DG 27" 2560x1440p TN 144hz GSYNC monitor and I am extremely happy with it. The colors are incredible after some recommended calibration I found online. Take a look at the reviews online and see if it what you are looking for. I would highly recommend it.

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

I'm not very into TN displays, so forgive my bias. Mostly I use one screen for everything on said machine, ranging from reading, watching movies, to playing games. I just couldn't take those artifacts on TN. For me, best allrounder is IPS/PLS. Backlight bleed is a thing that is not exclusive to IPS panels. Build quality matters though, because if the bezel is pushing at the panel on the edges more than it should, it will pronounce said bleed. Maybe you meant IPS glow that was distracting to you? Just make sure you have the display properly set, esp. brightness according to your room lighting and that you are not too close to the screen itself. Yeah, IPS has something like minimal viewing distance that goes up with screen size naturally. Advertised response time I wouldn't take seriously at all, it's mostly marketing gimmick - high rerfresh rate and low input lag (from processing circuitry) is what you are after. But if you are not into visual fidelity and just want to game on it, TN could do (but I personally wouldn't pay 800$ for an old calculator tech). Hope it helps somewhat.

Sent from my pComputer using Keyboard

at 144Hz your framtime is 6.94ms iirc

If your panel has an average of 5ms response time for gray-2-gray then there wont be much time left to show the fully lid LED at the correct color the spectator, instead, 2/3 of it's time it has spent in transit and less than 1/3 of those 6.94ms are left to display the actual image.

If you look for a 144Hz screen, I assume you want to run it at 144Hz as well. Then, this does matter.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

at 144Hz your framtime is 6.94ms iirc

If your panel has an average of 5ms response time for gray-2-gray then there wont be much time left to show the fully lid LED at the correct color the spectator, instead, 2/3 of it's time it has spent in transit and less than 1/3 of those 6.94ms are left to display the actual image.

If you look for a 144Hz screen, I assume you want to run it at 144Hz as well. Then, this does matter.

Bit, this is exactly the reason why g2g is good on paper and advertising, giving you very rough estimate. It doesn't tell you how well your display will perform on average, since those times stated are the best possible ones on the whole grey to grey scale, using full overdrive (so imagine quality flies right out of window, due to insane overshoot). Marketed g2g number doesn't account for signal processing, nor response times and transitions which are much slower.

You shouldn't be worried about first frame having not fully lit pixel (even if it was the case, but it's already not for those faster IPS panels at high refresh rates these days - this was a problem when we had g2g of 20+ms and/or no overdrive), as g2g tests switches from one grey to white and back to grey. In reality, e.g. when you play dcs, you won't get this drastic shifting of brightness of said pixel in each subsequent frame (said pixel will mostly stay lit at similar levels for good amount of frames, esp. on higher Hz - that's why refresh rate is a clear winner here).

As an example I would just point out that PG279Q, the IPS you mentioned has on average the same input lag to your 278Q TN panel, due to lower signal processing times, thus negating slight advantage of faster response time of the matrice alone ( in this case ~3ms for TN vs 5ms for IPS).

Or are you saying that you are using extreme overdrive preset for that 1ms g2g (in a very limited range to boot)? Because that would be the only case where it's indeed marginally faster, but with very degraded visual quality as a tradeoff.

Sent from my pComputer using Keyboard

I ended up with the same monitor Bit has, the older PG278Q, I was also looking at a large screen, like the Philips here and just run it at 1440P or if needed get a better GPU at some point, the 1080ti's were not out then, so I was waiting to see.

If your after speed and smoothness, for any fast moving games or sim, the G-Sync takes these monitors to a whole different level, that is very hard to explain, if you get a chance try one out in the shop if you can.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

I ended up with the same monitor Bit has, the older PG278Q, I was also looking at a large screen, like the Philips here and just run it at 1440P or if needed get a better GPU at some point, the 1080ti's were not out then, so I was waiting to see.

If your after speed and smoothness, for any fast moving games or sim, the G-Sync takes these monitors to a whole different level, that is very hard to explain, if you get a chance try one out in the shop if you can.

I'm just looking for one that doesn't have awful light bleed :)

I'm not fussy about color accuracy or vibrance. That's what ReShade is for :) Works just fine on my cheap Viewsonic TN panel.

Backlight bleed is the killer for me. Apparently it's worse on larger screens. And frankly, does that ever suck.

I've bought maybe 5 or 6 monitors over the years that were 2K ~32" models (10 years or so) and taken them all back because of really bad backlight bleed. I've probably really irritated my local shops!

For now I guess I'll just stick with my crappy 27" 1080p TN display, because after checking out some really nice big, high-res ones, my crappy one isn't that bad!!

Kit: