F-15C Checklists

Johnny Dioxin

I've put together some basic checklists for operating the F-15C to help me get acquainted with it before attempting the DLC campaign.

I decided to share it for anyone else interested:

Google Docs

There may be additional steps these days (such as electrical power?) but these lists are not all-encompassing, so you may have to double check the odd item. Although I took them from the manual, it may not be the most up to date state of affairs.

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

Thanks for sharing ... I also love to write down my own procedures, and then perfect them as I learn the plane better.

Cheers.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Yes, first thing would be electrical power ON.

Then probably collision ligths ON to warn ground crew about starting the a/c and landing lights ON (a must).

Shouldn't the right engine be the first?

As for testing things - there's a lot to test - like ailerons, rudders, stabilators.

You may even take-off trim.

After departure landing ligths OFF.

Flaps can be raised (and then retracted) automatically.

"Ensure correct airfield is selected in HUD" - this makes me wonder about how you do that :)

OK, now things get complicated because many of the rest on this list should not be written in stone. There are different types of approaches, different a/c weight, there's IAF & FAF that you go thrugh at different altitudes and different a/c configuration. We should probably mention also alpha (21) and rate of descent. Take also airfield lenght into account.

For weapons it's even worse to apply checklists because of different situations and many modes and methods available.

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

Yes, first thing would be electrical power ON.

Then probably collision ligths ON to warn ground crew about starting the a/c and landing lights ON (a must).

Shouldn't the right engine be the first?

Lights will not come on until aircraft is started or connected to external power which is not used for start. There’s no battery power.

Correct, right engine is started first.

IDG’s come on at JFS cutoutat about 48% ish, which is when you would get electrical power.

I believe flaps get lowered first and than the pilot checks flight controls (I’ve been off the F-15 for a few years)

This is what the USAF does at least

Edited by ZEEOH6

Alienware 17 R3: Intel i7 6820HK @ 4 GHz, 16 GB DDR4, GTX 980M, 1TB Samsung NVMe 951 SSD, AW Graphics Amplifier w/ GTX 1080, TM HOTAS Warthog, Oculus Rift CV1, Monstertech, MFG Crosswind, Jetseat KW-908

• 4 weeks later...
Why is right engine started first?

From -1: "The right engine is normally started first to permit checking utility hydraulic pressure with only the right pump operating."

Does it make any difference in DCS World?

No, it does not, nor it doesn't in RL, regarding starting engines. It's just a normal procedure. It's just SSM modeling, anyway.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

From -1: "The right engine is normally started first to permit checking utility hydraulic pressure with only the right pump operating."

No, it does not, nor it doesn't in RL, regarding starting engines. It's just a normal procedure. It's just SSM modeling, anyway.

As far as the -1 goes, it has to do with the gear hydraulics on the right system. During RL startup/shutdown, right is first to gen up before pulling pins, and left on after parking/rollover check till after the gear pins are installed. But, pins aren't simmed here, so it's more just to keep in line with the -1

FENRIR

No KC-10 in DCS? Thank goodness for small miracles!

Intel i5 4690K OC to 4.0, Corsair CX850M PSU, 16GB Patriot Viper @ 1866MHz, EVGA GTX 1060 SC, Samsung EVO 250GB SSD, Saitek X-55, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Delanclip

• 2 weeks later...
Actually you can see the check valve operating in-game, which is the reason for this procedure.

What do you mean by that? I specifically looked for any difference in the cockpit while spooling either one of the engines and the only thing I found was power control 1 or 2 increasing hydraulic pressure. I thought you meant the BIT lights on the left panel but they stay off.

wtf?

These lists are taken directly from the manual.

I'm removing it - and the others, too.

If you think it's wrong, tell ED - it's their manual.

Edited by Brixmis

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

No, I mean what you observed. You check the check valve by spooling the right engine first. The left engine then brings the PSI up to 3000.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Also the crew ladder or built in steps is placed on the left side in front of the #1 inlet. Can only remove canopy strut after engine start if the canopy is flat (lost pressure), because you are not gonna close an inoperable canopy on a pilot in case there is an emergency during engine start and they need to egress.

So we start #2 first. Once its idle, the crew chief will pull the nose gear down lock and reset the ASP in the nose gear well, hand pin to B-man, climb ladder and remove strut (if needed on a flat canopy, hand to B-man, climb down and remove or stow ladder, then #1.

Has no effect in game. Just real life procedures and the reason it’s done that way.

• Like 1

Alienware 17 R3: Intel i7 6820HK @ 4 GHz, 16 GB DDR4, GTX 980M, 1TB Samsung NVMe 951 SSD, AW Graphics Amplifier w/ GTX 1080, TM HOTAS Warthog, Oculus Rift CV1, Monstertech, MFG Crosswind, Jetseat KW-908

It's the right pump that's 250PSI less due to the check valve (the pumps are actually the same).

Edited by GGTharos
  • Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Actually you can see the check valve operating in-game, which is the reason for this procedure.

How / Where / What am I looking for?

Never mind...reading all the posts helps.

Sierra

Edited by Sierra99

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

cool topic, living and learning... thx guys.

Intel® Core™ i5-2500k CPU@4.20GHz 64 bit operation System Windows 10+ Pro NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 - Memory: 16.0 GB - 500gb ssd samsung - Samsung 27"SyncMaster TA550 monitors [SIZE=1][B]- [/B][/SIZE][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]TM Hotas Warthog[/SIZE][/FONT] Trackir4 - TM Rudder Pedals.

STT radar mode

"Acquire the target on the radar in LRS or TWS modes

Direct the TDC over the target symbol on the radar screen and lock the target*

The radar should change to STT mode"

Doesn't work for me, also I have never been able to get into STT mode.

So we start #2 first. Once its idle, the crew chief will pull the nose gear down lock and reset the ASP in the nose gear well, hand pin to B-man, climb ladder and remove strut (if needed on a flat canopy, hand to B-man, climb down and remove or stow ladder, then #1.

Just to be clear - when exactly do you close the canopy? Just before spooling #1?

Doesn't work for me, also I have never been able to get into STT mode.

Be specific - it's not a problem with DCS or the module. You fly toward enemy, hit '2' (Air-to-Air mode), then 'I' (radar on), when contact shows up you designate (with TDC slew) and hit 'Enter' - you are in STT, target locked. When already in TWS hit the contact twice. What part is not working for you?

btw: It's off topic.

Just to be clear - when exactly do you close the canopy? Just before spooling #1?

Canopy closes after #1 engine starts. The only time I can think of the canopy being closed while starting is when engines 1/2 are already started, but they have to shutdown #2 to rekey FDL which require opening a door in front of the #2 intake.

#2 started, #1 off, ladder removed, canopy open.

XosbX.jpg

amX8n.jpg

• 1 month later...

Draco,

Zeeho, is right. I was a crew chief on Lt. Grey's for 4 years. There is non - standard times we did stuff. Or like the FDL, or avi issues. Can't go into. but Not as common in the MSIP jets though. Also on ready alerts the jets were set up with some pre sets for faster spin up. Also fun little thing was to open the canopy with no hydro especially on a D. Ooh man what a treat. The 100's and the Early 220's we had some engine issues and such where's we get the motors going but then we would get an RED or Deec fault or pump fault then back under to pop our doughnut panels or access panel to look, then would do non standard shut down,fix,reset,cb's or whatever then relight. Just depends. But #2 first is a jet systems flow path but also for us CC's slot of our checks are on left.

Like when 2 is spooling, we are watching APU along with B man on the Bottle, then once at disengage 2 is on her own,check for ramp drop,apu cuts back then we move up along #1 intake, flow check, step in front move to nose gear, check CB's ,pressure, second NLG inspection pull pin, then either you or if c man was around up ladder check pilot/seat,Bay 5,pull strut,down ladder,( but have seen where guys pull strut and ladder after pilot is strapped in) show pin, check clear, and then #1 thumbs up, apu start gesture, wait for #1 to spool up,So I cut out and ramp drop. Then go about rest of launch.

Edited by Backdraft