Explanation of all numbers/letter on radar screen please?

D4n

Hello, as in both RAZBAM's .pdf and in Chucks guide there is no explanation, did anybody figure out what all numbers on the radar mean when you lock (or track) an aircraft?

Appreciate any help.

attachment.php?attachmentid=203531&stc=1&d=1548954115

1. - target speed in Mach (Mach 1 ≈ 1225 km/h ≈ 340m/s)
  2. - true target heading in °
  3. - relative speed in knots (VR = vitesse relative, relativ speed)
  4. - target altitude in feet x100
  5. - distance to target in nm
  6. - Target aspect angle (relative to nose, so 0° would be head-on, intercept)
  7. - target closing speed in Mach
  8. - highest and lowest altitude of current radar scane zone in feet x1000
  9. - Top line - reference point (00 is your plane/in reference to you aircraft, 01 is waypoint 1....) - bottom line is range/bearing of your TDC from the reference point. So it's good to place a waypoint on bullseye.
  10. - own heading and speed in Mach (Mirage)
  11. - own flight level altitude, in feet x 100 (barometric)

M2000radar.thumb.png.2f10c6226d5b071b84a2262d25d05d23.png

Edited by DanielNL
DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

Updating post now, already found sb. who knows almost all it seems.

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

Still missing/need validation on #7, #9 and #11, if anyone knows! :)

Edited by DanielNL

#7 Target closing speed in mach.

#9 Top line is reference point (00 is your plane, 01 is waypoint 1....) bottom line is range/bearing of your TDC from the reference point.

#11 It's your plane flight level altitude. Edit : As said below it's the barometric altitude.

Edited by myHelljumper

Helljumper - M2000C Guru

Helljumper's Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK3rTjezLUxPbWHvJJ3W2fA

9- TDC range/ azimuth, 00 in reference to you aircarft, 01 or any other number is a waypoint. So it's good to place a waypoint on bullseye.

11- your altitude in ft x 100 (or flight level if your altimeter is set to 1013hPa)

7- is a mess, you have 2 contacts and the TDC in the same place :P

But 1.6 would be the 2nd contact closing velocity in Mach points, because 1.4 would match the locked contact (you M0.83 + target M0.6 = 1.4)

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

Here we go :

#1 Target Mach speed (correct).

#2 Target bearing.

#3 Target closing speed (correct ?).

#4 Target Altitude.

#5 Distance to target.

#6 Target relative bearing.

#7 RWS closing speed.

#8 Scan cone max and min alt at TDC position.

#9 Top line is reference point (00 is your plane, 01 is waypoint 1....) bottom line is range/bearing of your TDC from the reference point.

#10 Own speed in knots (top row), own speed in mach.

#11 Own barometric altitude.

Helljumper - M2000C Guru

Helljumper's Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK3rTjezLUxPbWHvJJ3W2fA

#4 Target Altitude.

#5 Distance to target.

you VERY sure on #4 and #5 ? Source?

Correct wording, IMO, would be:

#2: Target true heading (target bearing is 095 here, per #9)

#6: Target aspect angle (relative to nose, so 0° would be head-on)

Yes, that is more correct.

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Thank you all! Is it true, #8 is angles in °, not feet?

Correct wording, IMO, would be:

#2: Target true heading (target bearing is 095 here, per #9)

#6: Target aspect angle (relative to nose, so 0° would be head-on)

Thank you all! Is it true, #8 is angles in °, not feet?

No, it's max and min altitude x1000ft covered by radar scan zone at TDC range.

On F-15 you have the same data on left side of radar screen, here it is next to TDC.

Mirage fanatic !

No, it's max and min altitude x1000ft covered by radar scan zone at TDC range.

On F-15 you have the same data on left side of radar screen, here it is next to TDC.

should be is referring to angle off the nose.. in this case the cone is 3 to 25 degrees. As you can see his radar antenna is slightly elevated.

Also In the photo his alt is already 32500 feet so it would not make sense that the cone is between 3K and 25K with antenna pointing up slightly.

Now I have experimented myself and there is definitely something wrong with the display cone min max.

I believe it is supposed to display the cone at TDC range but something is messed up.

Eg I am flying at 30K flight level, ant centered and yet my cone is displaying 29/28 max/min. When I do get a lock the target is outside the TDC cone values. ei the target is at 14k but the tdc vales show 21/19 at lock.

Also if you lower the antenna, at any altitude you will find your cone to display negative values with only a slight decrease in height. Something is not right with this display.

If it is displaying min/max alt of cone then we shopuld only need to raise lower ant a % of a degree either up or down to get the full range, but in game that is not true as sometime I need to lower the antenna almost to the bottom to see targets below me even though the display is something like -34/-60.

read back. 32500 ft is target altitude.

The Mirage is flying 22900 ft.

I just tested on "Caucasus missile combat".

There is small "glitch", because on first TWS lock I read values like the one on nthe screenshot. Then it's changed to something like "16/ 34" with target at "318" which makes more sense.

So there is a kind of "delay" bug on TDC altitude update...:(

Mirage fanatic !

read back. 32500 ft is target altitude.

The Mirage is flying 22900 ft.

I just tested on "Caucasus missile combat".

There is small "glitch", because on first TWS lock I read values like the one on nthe screenshot. Then it's changed to something like "16/ 34" with target at "318" which makes more sense.

So there is a kind of "delay" bug on TDC altitude update...:(

Sorry I meant target is at 32500 feet. But why is the cone between 3k and 24k? How is it tracking the target?

Also why dows the min/max cone range drop in the negatives when you point antenna slightly lower than level?

I understand what "should be happening" but the data output to the HUD is all wrong.

Like I said already, there is a delay on TDC altitude update after the lock (= bug).

Unfortunately, the screenshot has been taken at the moment of the bug.

The values goes negative because you're scanning down to the ground.

But if you move TDC range back and forth, you'll that at longer range you may have negative value and still positive at short range.

Mirage fanatic !

I understand what "should be happening" but the data output to the HUD is all wrong.

What about the HUD now ? We were talking about radar screen (VTB on Mirage 2000).

Mirage fanatic !

Like I said already, there is a delay on TDC altitude update after the lock (= bug).

Unfortunately, the screenshot has been taken at the moment of the bug.

The values goes negative because you're scanning down to the ground.

But if you move TDC range back and forth, you'll that at longer range you may have negative value and still positive at short range.

Well not really what I was trying to explain, but anyways. We both know it is wrong.

4 lines = 12 degrees up and down

2 lines = 6

1 line = 3 degrees.

So when moving antenna up and down what do the hash lines on the left side of the radar screen represent ? 2%?

So from 30 000 feet at 2 lines scan sweep, (which is only 6 degrees lower than horizontal plane) and lowering antenna down a has mark or two should NEVER translate to the cone pointing under the earth as the RDI cannot extend that far enough to cause it to be pointing underground with such an extremely small offset at such an altitude.

Regardless of the delay, it should never remain in the negative at that alt at that sweep angle at 40 kt range.

1 line = 3°

2 lines = 6°

3 lines = we are around 8° (there is overlap between the lines)

2 lines/6° at 40Nm is around 25 500ft of vertical scan zone (do the maths)

So even flying at at 30 000ft it isn't that hard to get negative values for min altitude.

On the left side the scale is on - every 10°. So the 3 are +30° and -30°.

The radar can scan +/- 60° both in vertical and horizontal plan.

Moving the scan zone down by 2 marks is -20° :music_whistling:

Edited by jojo

Mirage fanatic !

The drawing respect horizontal and vertical scaling.

So with 2 lines scan (6°), if you tilt the scan zone -20°, any TDC range past roughly 16Nm will result in negative min and max altitude.

The numbers are matching in game...

1620225385_Scanzone.thumb.jpg.29022b6a4d5aa23927fdbe37966d7524.jpg

Edited by jojo

Mirage fanatic !