[Suggestion] Release DCS World 2.5 Open Alpha for the Holidays

wedge_one

So, I read the announcement on Facebook, but I would like to make a suggestion.

I understand the reasons to push the release of DCS World 2.5 to late January 2018 (this time a promise, not an estimate) but why not release an Open Alpha of 2.5 during the Holidays, with summer season only, and no or limited support for the missions, so we can fly in multiplayer with friends and stuff. Lot's of people will be at home with a lot of free time and would be nice to be able to play 2.5 even in a limited and not bug free state.

¬ wedge

Wishlist: DCS: F-16C

wedgeDCS - Modern Custom CSS themes for the Forum

You already cited part of the reason of why a 2.5 release before the Holidays isn't the smartest move: lots of people will be at home, that's something that also includes the developers that won't be able to fix any critical bugs that come up during the x weeks that they have off.

Personally I'd rather wait a few more weeks have something big like 2.5 release at a time where we can expect more frequent patches and hotfixes.

You already cited part of the reason of why a 2.5 release before the Holidays isn't the smartest move: lots of people will be at home, that's something that also includes the developers [...]

Since the ED developers are in Russia (or thereabouts), their Christmas falls on another time of the year: Sunday, January 7 (Eastern Orthodox Christmas 2018 in Russia). That means they are technically "not off" during "our" holiday season. :)

So, it would be a swell surprise if 2.5 would be out for us in the Western Hemisphere for the holidays (one can dream, right?). :thumbup:

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

On the other hand, not having the team crunch like mad in the time just before the holidays and getting them to relax a little, have some R&R and take their time doing what needs to be done (a 40 hour workweek instead of an 80 hour one) is worth a LOT more in the long run, for the devs themselves, for the producers but mostly for us, the users.

I5 9600KF, 32GB, 3080ti, G2, PointCTRL

I think its not a bad idea :thumbup: but I believe ED already have discussed this option and chose not to throw anything that was not ready for release. I fully support and respect this decision as there are very high expectations and they will not disappoint the people. 6 weeks from now is not to bad after all

Intel I7 4770K, Evga 1080 FE, win10 64Pro, 32GB ram, TracIR 5, Hotas Warthog, MFD Cougar x2, MFG Crosswind

so much bashing to what I said without reading EDs post on Facebook(?)

Work is going well with the updated Caucasus map and the summer map is ready to go!

the bugs left seems to be related to missions/campaigns only, according to their post.

so a 2.5 multiplayer-summer-only could be a reality. remember that Wagner said on his post two weeks ago that'd be releasing in a "couple of weeks". maybe that was their original plan.

anyway, it was just a suggestion not totally out of reach.

I wish everybody and especially ED's team happy holidays!

¬ wedge

Wishlist: DCS: F-16C

wedgeDCS - Modern Custom CSS themes for the Forum

so much bashing to what I said without reading EDs post on Facebook(?)

remember that Wagner said on his post two weeks ago that'd be releasing in a "couple of weeks".

This is probably the most misquoted quote of all time. Read it again, and you'll see that he actually said "in the coming weeks"

The difference is very significant. As it happens, the end of January is still "in the coming weeks".

As for getting it out sooner, unless you're all at death's door, why on earth will waiting a few extra weeks make such a huge difference to you? Clearly ED have weighed up the options and reached the conclusion that they need a bit more time to get things ready. Just accept it, and move on guys. They won't be changing their plans just to satisfy some very childish impatience on our part.

So, I read the announcement on Facebook, but I would like to make a suggestion.

I understand the reasons to push the release of DCS World 2.5 to late January 2018 (this time a promise, not an estimate) but why not release an Open Alpha of 2.5 during the Holidays, with summer season only, and no or limited support for the missions, so we can fly in multiplayer with friends and stuff. Lot's of people will be at home with a lot of free time and would be nice to be able to play 2.5 even in a limited and not bug free state.

Simple,

Many Team Members will be on Holiday Vacation, there's no point releasing a huge update, with the amount of potential problems that may surface, and not have anyone around to work on them or acknowledge them.

//Closed

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

I do not have an account with Facebook. What did this post say?

Lazduc

Dear all,

DCS World 2.5 News Update

Work is going well with the updated Caucasus map and the summer map is ready to go! However, there is still work to do on the Spring, Autumn, and Winter maps. Much of this revolves around integration of the new SpeedTree tech. This is a rather time consuming process and is not just a case of just dropping in new tech.

Additionally, a lot of work continues on updating the hundreds of missions and campaigns that need to be adjusted for the map changes. This primarily entails moving units and their routes out of the many new forested areas on the map. We want this move to DCS World 2.5 to be as bug-free as possible.

Finally, we have the holiday season fast approaching, and we need to give our staff time with their loved ones.

Given this, we will be releasing DCS World 2.5 by late-January 2018. This is not an estimate, this is a promise.

DCS World 2.5 will be released as a new download (NOT an update to an existing version). In other words, DCS World 2.5 will replace DCS World 1.5 Stable. The current 1.5.8 Open Beta will be updated to be DCS World 2.5 Open Beta. As such DCS 2.5 Stable and DCS 2.5 Open Beta will be available at the same time. DCS 2.1 Open Alpha will be removed, and DCS World 1.5 will remain but be unsupported.

Modules under DCS World 2.x will not need to be re-downloaded or activated. Just do not uninstall DCS World 2.2 Open Alpha prior to installing DCS World 2.5 Stable, as 2.5 will copy the modules over from 2.2.

Any files in your Users/Saved Games folder will not be affected.

Pilots statistics from DCS World 2.x will be carried over to DCS World 2.5.

Movement of DCS World 2.5 would then soon follow to Steam.

Thanks,

Matt “Wags” Wagner

Eagle Dynamic SA, Senior Producer

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs