Black screen after editing controls

Moafuleum

Hi

I don't know whether it is an ED problem or a RAZBAM problem but the following only occurs with the Harrier, I tested it with the A-10C and everything was fine. That's why I post it here.

Every time I change controls for the Harrier (regardless if axis controls, axis curve or keybind) and I want to confirm by clicking on the green OK button in the controls menu, the screen becomes black and DCS is then stuck there. I have to kill the whole process via task manager. When restarting DCS, I noticed that the new settings are not saved.

Furthermore, when I call the controls menu in flight to change something, the controls are saved and everything works as intended during flight. When I then exit the mission (I just set up a simple mission in the ME editor), I don't even reach the debriefing screen, I get the black screen again and DCS is stuck again. The controls are saved saved though.

I tested it in 1.5.8 OB Hotfix 2 with the HUD lines Hotfix

Please attach the dcs.log when it happens.

I cannot reproduce the problem so I need to see if the log catches the problem.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

Saved Games\<your selected dcs version>\logs

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

• 2 weeks later...

This is happening to me as well.

Here is my setup:-

Thrustmaster t-16000m flight stick

Thrustmaster TWCS throttle

Thrustmaster T-flight Pedals

Thrustmaster Cougar MDFs

Assigned TDC slewing to Throttle mini stick axis

all OK.

I then Read:-

TDC Action/No Action modes along with TDC axis command are not available in the initial Early Release version.

So tried to delete delete the assignment. When I pressed OK, I get the black screen.

Manually editing the Throttle XML & deleting the assignment sorted the problem. But the above shows a way to reproduce the problem.

I can also get the same problem with the MDF's. By default the MDFs appear as Joysticks & have Axis's assigned to them that do not exist. Clear any of the axis and I get the same black screen. I've seen this on the Viggen module as well so I don't think it's just a AV8B issue

This is happening to a vast amount of players. I play in VR and it happened to me the first time I set up the controls. Now that I've edited the harrier controls from in a mission, I can edit them in the main menu without a crash. It was only just that first time the game didn't want me setting up from the main menu.

The problem (for me and some others) seems to be related to the DCS\Saved Games\MissionEditor folder. Make a backup copy of this, then delete the original.

You should be able to copy your original logbook back with no problems, so do that and give DCS a try. It should reinstate any missing files. If you need any of the other files, try copying them one at a time, but AFAIK, only the logbook is important.